Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 03:46 AM

After all the effort to get the Ubuntu restore iso and put it on the Mini 9, I am going to switch back to XP.
I tweaked the hell out of XP and its small and fast now. The big turn off to The Dell version of Ubuntu is that its not using all of the 2GB of RAM that I have in the system.

Any one else doing the same?

I am going to skip installing OS X on the Mini. I'd much rather get one of the new Macbooks to run Leopard.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
After all the effort to get the Ubuntu restore iso and put it on the Mini 9, I am going to switch back to XP.
Don't give up on Ubuntu all together! give it a few months and try again... it'll be great by then (I hope)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 04:18 AM

Could someone explain to me why you would go through the hassle of downloading the "Restore CD" instead of just installing regular Ubuntu 8.04.1(.10.0) from a thumb drive or CD? I mean sure you might have to use the ethernet at first to get the restricted drivers for the wifi card, but once that is done your good to go. Or was it just to see what Dell was doing and hoping they had all the necessary drivers to get it working outside the box asap?

I'm getting mine with just the basic $399 Windows XP setup. A bit later I will probably get either a 1 or 2 Gig ram stick. But for the immediate I'll just use 512MB. Hell I use that on my Mac Mini and it works just fine for me.

Dell Mini 9 Obsidian 2GB RAM Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on 4 GB USB Stick.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
Any one else doing the same?
I will probably load XP on mine this weekend to give it a test drive. I really wanted an Ubuntu machine to work on, but the RAM limitation is a killer. Also, I didn't order bluetooth, and if I can't get the external dongle I bought to work with Ubuntu it'll be another nail in the coffin.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM

Nuts,

It's not a linux problem. It's a Dell problem. Turn off their ugly-assed menu bar and extend the partition and you have a great, sleek, elegant, and highly efficiant OS that is not subject to the advertising hype of any Steves at all. I've used XP for years in a business settings and it's main problem is it trys to be all things to all machines so it will always be fat and bloated no matter how much we "tweak" it.

I just wish I'd got into Linux sooner.

Alpine White, 1Mb, 16Gb SSD, 1.3Mp webcam, Stock Mini Ubuntu. (Oh yeah, and bluetooth)
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: Call me nuts.. - 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM

LOL. So I guess I need to change my user name to Nuts. Thanks for that SankeFarm.

I have been in IT for a long time. I have built thousands of Unix, Windows, Linux, ESX and Mac desktop and server systems. I have been using Linux since 1998. I still have my Red Hat 5.2 CD. I downloaded the restore CD so I could just do an install from it and be done. I am tired of being an OS install monkey. That is also why I posted about a "best Windows Backup/restore solution." It took 4 hours of research and some trial and error but I now have an easy windows restore solution.

Also, I wanted to see what my favorite company did to Ubuntu to make it Grandma friendly. As the Dell Linux guy said in that video.

And lastly, I immediately replaced the Dell desktop interface with the standard Ubuntu desktop. I have the 8GB SSD in my Mini and using the restore CD did not see the partition problem that other users are reporting. Just saw the RAM issue.

I can now easily go back and forth from XP to Ubuntu in minutes. So I may try Ubuntu on the Mini again.

Linux is not gone from my life. I am running Ubuntu Hardy and the gOS distro in VM's on my Mac.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com