Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Tethering Pocket PC phone/modem? - 10-14-2008, 09:22 PM

I have a Sprint Mogul PDA/Phone and have their Phone As Modem service. I can easily connect it to my Windows machines to use it as a highspeed cellular modem. But how do I connect it to my Ubuntu-powered Mini 9? Any ideas?

Bluetooth would be preferred, but I can live with USB.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#2) Old

Send a message via ICQ to mschoolbus Send a message via AIM to mschoolbus Send a message via MSN to mschoolbus Send a message via Yahoo to mschoolbus
Default Re: Tethering Pocket PC phone/modem? - 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM

I am new to this forum, so Hello everyone. Probably will see me lurking around the Linux side of these forums.

I have a treo 800w with windoze mobile 6.1, so I am in the same boat as you. Check out this link, once I get mine (...) I would possibly write up a howto if shown enough interest. http://www.sysadminsjourney.com/2008/09 ... -to-linux/

If you list things you own in your signature, you are retarded.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Tethering Pocket PC phone/modem? - 10-15-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoolbus
Check out this link, once I get mine (...) I would possibly write up a howto if shown enough interest. http://www.sysadminsjourney.com/2008/09 ... -to-linux/
That works! Thank you very much! This has been driving me crazy all day.

There is one slight caveat, the Bluetooth tether shows up as a Wired Connection in Network Settings. You have to disable the automatic configuration for that one connection (it should be the last one) and set it to DHCP. You'll know you've changed the correct one when running /sbin/ifconfig bnep0 gives you an IP address.

The Wired Connection will disappear when you disconnect the phone, but it will reappear, still configured to DHCP, when you reconnect.

(#4) Old

Default Re: Tethering Pocket PC phone/modem? - 10-16-2008, 06:09 AM

Actually, this appears to cause some problems. It was filling the syslog with thousands of "connection refused" messages when Internet Sharing is not running on the phone. Every time I tried to suspend the 9, it would crash on wakeup. And I was having a problem with the keyboard suddenly failing to respond. When I reverted to PAND_ENABLED=0, I could successfully suspend and reawaken the machine, and it appears to have fixed the disappearing keyboard problem.