Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#31) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

In response to your question, it is always at the same place, it just varies by time if it is there or not. try 3 times in a row, and it might show up once.

also, the torrent is of the CD that ships with the mini 9 - not the restore image, but the install disk.
Worthing.jason
  (#32) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM

hmmm i have tried the link provided on this thread several times in the last couple of days....hasnt worked for me yet. i have even manually searched the dell's driver/downloads for the mini 9 and it seems that the only OS selection available is windows XP. if anyone can provide me with a solid working link to the dell hardy img file i would greatly appreciate it.

edit: just a thought... is there a way to reinstall directly from the hard drive?? like is there an option in grub to reinstall?? like this ---> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ub ... stallation

also why the hell is the grub timer not default to 3 like any other ubuntu disto?? i cant even get into grub to test this theory.
i tried to edit grub.conf ... but for some reason it isnt located at /boot/grub/grub.conf
  (#33) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM

As far as why the settings are the way they are, I do not know the reasons behind that. for the image, I just did an FTP from the command prompt 5 times in a row. It was only there the third time. It seems that when you connect to the ftp site, it connects you to a random FTP server from dell, and only one has the file. I would recommend trying about 10 times consecutive, and use an FTP program, not your web browser to look for it. Also, remember this is not a disk image like the one that is available through Demonoid. This is an image you apply to a flash drive, and then when you boot to it, it wipes everything, and puts ubuntu back the way it came.

Due to the size of the hard drive, no restore image was included. That is why the IMG file was provided.

I am redownloading it now, so if you would like to torrent it instead, I will upload it to Demonoid and post the torrent here when I can (sometime today).
Worthing.jason
  (#34) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM

thanks so much...i will continue to try to ftp it (through terminal) if i have no luck i will try your torrent...but if i do get it i will update here so you wont have to go through any trouble uploading it..
  (#35) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM

***UPDATE***

i just tried this in terminal about 7 or 8 times and sure enough it worked (finally)
thanks a buch guys!

still downloading...but i believe this is gonna work...transferring the .img to a usb shouldn't cause me any problems but i will post here if i run into any issues.

edit: what is the best size flash drive to use...i have two 512mb, one 1gb, one 2gb, and one 8gb
  (#36) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfy++
edit: what is the best size flash drive to use...i have two 512mb, one 1gb, one 2gb, and one 8gb
I'd go with the 2gb; the image is a little larger than the 1gb, and the 8 would be difficult to get to boot.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#37) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
I'd go with the 2gb; the image is a little larger than the 1gb, and the 8 would be difficult to get to boot.

thanks again! ... man this thing is taking forever to dl ... it's been at it for about 20-30min now. and i have been getting anywhere from 100 to 300 K/s
  (#38) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM

i am pleased to say that i just finished restoring my system using the .img posted on dells site (via usb) and everything works PERFECTLY. everything is exactly how it was when i opened the box.

much thanks to everyone!
this thread has been an enormous help to me.
  (#39) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

As far as the torrent, I got that up late last night, so here it is. If anyone needs a Demonoid membership to get it, PM me and I will get you an invitation code. However, be aware that I am going to have you swear on your firstborn child that you are going to upload all torrents to at least 1.0

Hope this helps everyone with the speed, or at least the reliability of access of the download.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1753754/3752828/

Worthing.jason