Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default My Dell Mini Details.. Need your help - 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Dear Dell mini fans,

I bought a dell mini 10v long time ago and I use it rarely. Now I want to use it for work because it's so light to carry. I saw people on youtube and websites who tried to boot OS like Chome, iOS, Windows (xp, 7, and 8) on Dell Mini, I liked that, in fact.

I want to have your recommendation about best comprehensive OS for Dell Mini 10v.

Is there any update for BIOS?

Can I upgrade the process?

The following details are my Dell Mini 10v:
  • Dell Inspiron 1011
  • Inspiron 1011 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz, 512K L2 Cache
  • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM,1 DIMM ==> I'm gonna upgrade it to 2GB
  • 10.1 Inch Widescreen Display (1024 x 600)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
  • 250G, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • Obsidian Black
  • UBUNTU 8.04 (Standard Edition)
  • No Mobile Broadband Option Inspiron
  • Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card
  • Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
  • 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
  • Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus Service, Initial Year
  • Mail-in Service after Remote Diagnosis , Initial Year
  • Dell Limited Hardware Warranty 7X24 Technical Support, Initial Year
  • Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR

THANKS

Life is GOOD

Last edited by Faz; 03-30-2014 at 04:40 PM.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM

The "best OS" depends on what you want to use it for. Linux and Windows both work well, some people run ChromeOS and even Android. You have not told us what you are familiar with or what you want to do with it.

The BIOS has had updates - you don't say which BIOS version you're using. But unless you have a problem that you know is fixed by a BIOS update, I suggest not updating as there is some risk of "bricking" the Mini.

The processor cannot be upgraded.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 04-01-2014, 12:16 AM

It already has Ubuntu on it now so why not update it to the latest long term system, 12.04 (14.04 should be out soon). How you intend to use it at work is sort of important. For example, if work only uses Office 2010 then you need Windows. I would not consider XP as support is ending in 8 days & it is a very old OS.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#4) Old

Default 04-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Thank you holmes4 & lswartz for your respond..

I want to use the laptop for work that I use most Microsoft Office programs constantly like MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint, and Access, browsing the Internet, and watching youtube.

I would like to install Windows 7 or 8 OS, but I'm worried because of the viruses as you know that we need to install antivirus program in Windows OS and the antivirus program take big space of processing on the Windows OS and make the laptop running slow.

I like Ubuntu because I don't need to install antivirus program and I know that Ubuntu has Office program as Open Office and Liber Office which they are supporting Microsoft Office files types, but there will be some differences appeared if I create a file in MS and open it in Open Office or Liber Office.

Is there Windows 7 or 8 light version for processor like Intel Atom with all OS features?

Life is GOOD
  (#5) Old

Default 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM

You should be OK with Win 7 & Avast (or similar anti-virus). Steve can give you better advice on Win 8 as I have never used it.

I prefer Ubuntu, but Libre Office does not play well some of the Office 2010 formats. Since Ubuntu is free & easy to download/install, why not try it out at work. If Libre Office does not work well, get Win 7 or 8. You will also need to get the version of Office used at work.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Win 8 is fine as long as you use a tweak (or 8.1) that allows you to boot to the "desktop" rather than the tiled interface. I run Win8.1 on my Mini 9 and it's fine.

I use Norton antivirus products and don't find they make any noticeable impact on performance. Avoid McAfee. Avast is probably ok.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Mr. lswartz & Mr. holmes4, Thank you for your respond and I really appreciate your reply and recommendations

Mr. lswartz

I already have Ubuntu OS and I upgraded it, but I feel Ubuntu needs more work to be comprehensive and make it contains all the features that can run all types of files that run in MS OS and Mac iOS. On other hand, I like Ubuntu system because it's strong with networking and it's secure.

Mr. holmes4 (Steve)

I want to install Windows OS because of the work, but I'm confused between Windows 7 and Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1). As I read online, I found Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1) is faster than Windows 7 because it's suitable for tablets to support touchscreens and Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1) has antivirus built-in (Windows Defender), but Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1) has problems.

Do I need to install another antivirus program?

What about Kaspersky antivirus program ?

Which edition of Windows is better for my dell mini (Home edition, Professional edition, or Ultimate edition)? from your experience

Which system type of Windows 32 or 64?

Can I upgrade the memory to 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB?

Btw, my laptop doesn't have sim card slot. Can I add the slot to insert the sim card ?

THANK YOU again guys

Life is GOOD

Last edited by Faz; 04-06-2014 at 09:13 AM.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM

2GB RAM is the limit for your system. You can use only 32-bit Windows. As for Home, Professional, etc., this depends on which features you want. For most people Home would be sufficient.

As for "SIM slot", the slot is not the issue - you need a cellular wireless card, and if your Mini was not bought with that option, the socket for it is missing. Use a USB cellular modem if you need one.

I like the Norton antivirus tools. Kapersky, ESET, Avira are ok.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Thank you so much Steve,

I will try to work on it soon and I'm excited to see the result

Life is GOOD
  (#10) Old

Default 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Thank you so much Steve,

I will try to work on it soon and I'm excited to see the result
Re: 2GB RAM upgrade - you need 2GB DDR2 6400 RAM and to fit it you need to remove the motherboard. There are youtube videos on how to do this, just remember to be careful putting it vback together and not to break the delicate leads, ribbon cables and attachments. Another thing is that although the shell cracks open fairly easily, some of the plastics can become brittle with age so proceed cautiously. The achilles heel of this (and many other machines) is the embedded nuts on the upper plastics which hold the machine solid when it's screwed up - they too become brittle so if the screws are overtightened the internal plastic bush can shear off. It's only really critical for the two screws in the very top corners by the hinge and if they fail, the screws will not take and the top plastic will flex causing cosmetic damage and eventual breakage.. Don't forget to replace the small pale blue gunk squares in the right places as they are heat-spreaders. And make sure you put the right length screws in the right holes as this could cause cosmetic damage.

RE OS - you can also install up to Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (instructions elsewhere in this forum). If you can get hold of a Dell Windows 7 pro 32 bit OEM disc, W7 installs without the need for activation. Windows 7 can run with only 1GB on the 10V but 2GB is far better.