General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default GUIDE: Dual Boot +Slimming OSX/XP on an 8GB SSD - 04-27-2009, 02:44 AM

Sorry if this is a little messy and thrown together, just wanted to get it out there and I'm tired of making it look pretty.

This should be helpful both to those who want as much free space as possible on any combination of partitions as well as those who are extremely limited (like I am) to an 8GB SSD and don't feel like upgrading to 16 or 32 just yet, such as those who recently picked up a vostro a90 from the 199 deal.

I have had access to a 512mb and a 8gb micro-sd card connected to usb readers, a 16gb flash drive and an external hard drive, a macbook and a windows laptop for the purposes of what I managed to do, so you may need a few extra materials or need to substitute a DVD drive for the steps that I take if you don't have as much access as I have. The whole process is really quite simple once you know what to do.

Step by Step instructions:

1. Install OSX using your preferred method either on a usb hard drive, the SSD, a usb flash drive (EXTREMELY SLOW) or what have you. No need to do anything involvingt altering the dvd for MBR installation, install it to a single GUID partition for our purposes. There are many guides on how to do this. I personally used http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-i...od-t3925.html.

2. Using whatever means necessary, get to a point where you can boot into the usb hard drive or SSD without any other help. For me, this required using the dellefi v1.1 install after booting in using a syslinux usb drive.

3. At this point, it would be a good idea to either create a usable time machine backup (assuming you know how to do it) or do what I did and boot into the install dvd and image the entire hard drive/usb drive into a dmg file for safe keeping. This step is only required for when you are slimming down the OSX install, in order to restore the fresh install as painlessly as possible.

4. Slim down OSX by deleting unnecessary bloat. (most of these ways came from http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-x-install.ars).
2a. I should have mentioned this earlier, but deselect everything during OSX install to the SSD. If you didn't, go back and do it again.
2b. Get rid of all voices at /System/Library/Speech/Voices except for fred.
2c. get rid of the safe sleep image. dell efi 1.1 does this for you.
2d. get rid of any printers at /Library/Printers
2e. get rid of widgets at /Library/Widgets
2f. get rid of screen savers at /System/Library/Screen Savers (i left one small one, flurry)
2g. get rid of dictionaries at /Library/Dictionaries (I left apple and thesaurus)
2h. get rid of desktop pictures at /Library/Desktop Pictures (I left aurora default, chose it in sysprefs first)
2i. get rid of setup assistant /System/Library/CoreServices
2j. get rid of fonts /System/Library/Fonts (I only deleted the big chinese ones, they are deleteable from trash next reboot)
2k. get rid of quicktime compositions /System/Library/Compositions (i just deleted the big mov files)
2l. use xslimmer and monolingual. Monolingual is free, xslimmer you have to pay for or find yourself. Monolingual's architecture slimming is said to be unsafe so use at your own risk. Arch slimming should be unnecessary in monolingual if using xslimmer.
2m. Using xslimmer, run it through everything on your disk by using the genie. It will save a good chunk of space.
2n. When xslimmer is done, run monolingual. In monolingual, deselect all architectures (if you want to do exactly what I did) and select every language except yor own (english for me).
2o. Use appzapper, appcleaner, or cleanapp to delete unnecessary official apps. For example, I deleted safari (I use firefox), itunes (I have other computers for that), mail (i use gmail), ichat (never used), and quicktime (vlc is better). Not necessary, but that's what I did.

5. After this, and making sure OSX is still bootable, back it up again as in 3 above. This is necessary unlike the backup at 3, because that is how we get it onto the dualboot. Just as a note, my OSX install was about 4.9GB at this point, later on (possibly due to swap files or not fully deleted files or MBR vs GUID) when you restore the image, you should go down to 4.3GB as my screenshots show.

6.When you're done backing up, we're ready to go with XP. If you did your backup correctly, you can now properly use the SSD for xp even if you installed OSX to it. In fact this is much faster to just freshly install xp to your SSD, and I haven't personally tried any other way because this just works that well.

7. The first step with XP is to use nlite to slim it down before install. Nlite is a very finicky tool to use, but I have a particular way to use it that should be as easy as pie to replicate. This will require another windows computer to do successfully (or a fresh xp install and then mucking around with nlite), as that's how I prepared my image, so if you need to do it all from the mini 9, good luck. One thing to look into is xplite at http://www.litepc.com/ but I don't know anything about that so good luck.

7a. The main gist of what we're gonna do is take the dell oem windows xp home sp3 disc that comes with your computer and run a copy of nlite.
7b. Get nlite at http://www.nliteos.com/, I personally used the self extracting exe version.

7c. Put the oem xp sp3 cd in cd drive of whatever computer you're doing this from

7d. We have two choices here, either run nlite yourself and try and choose the correct settings (LOTS of trial and error), or download a preconfigured "last session.ini" from some source

7d1. If doing nlite yourself, good luck. Follow the directions and you could be ok, depending on your experience, but you could be in for a world of hurt

7d2. I suggest going to google, searching "miniXP torrent" and looking for a torrent file that has files contained with size 232mb. Don't download the pirated copy of XP, but instead use utorrent and just download the "last session.ini" file that comes with it. This comes preconfigured for using your oem sp3 LEGITIMATE copy of XP with nlite, and amounts to a 480MB windows install afterwards with just the right amount of stuff left in. So what you do is you import the "last session.ini" file along with your legitimate copy of XP into nlite, put in your cd-key, change whatever tweaks you want, and make sure to uncheck the removal of "manual installation and upgrade" in the components section if you are installing from usb. Either burn the new iso to dvd, or follow the next step for usb installation.

8. if installing windows using usb, follow this nice guide and you should be ok. However, even though we're dual booting, the only way to get this to work in my experience is to install XP to the entire SSD. I repeat, install your new nlite dvd TO THE ENTIRE 8GB SSD to save yourself a lot of headaches.

9. If using the usb xp install, dont forget that you have to boot into the usb stick 3 total times, once using text mode install, and twice, I REPEAT TWICE through the gui mode option after booting the usb stick. You dont unplug the usb until you logged in to your windows xp for the first time.

10. Immediately go to control panel/system/advanced/performance settings/advance tab/virtual memory settings and turn off page file. This saves you some 1.5gb of space and is not needed when you run nlite because of the extremely low memory footprint if you do it right. If you need a pagefile, you're probably doing it wrong or running too many things at once.

11. reboot, then look how much xp takes up on the SSD. 480mb. Marvel at this fact.

12. Now, you can either install all the dell drivers by downloading them using the dell website, exe numbers provided on this page: http://mydellmini.com/forum/installi...ation-t57.html or just go on, since xp is working and bootable and you can do drivers later. be assured, even after drivers are installed the xp drive will only take up 700-800 mb in total. Don't forget after you install the dell drivers to delete c:/dell since all those drivers were copied there.

13. Download the latest gparted iso from this page http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779

14. Download the windows version of unetbootin at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

15. Plug in a usb flash drive (100 mb or more i think), format it to either fat or fat32 using the right click option in my computer, run unetbootin, select the iso using the browse function, and select the drive letter, it will run for half a minute and you're done.

16. restart the computer, get to the boot menu by pressing 0 to boot from your gparted usb drive, select gparted default options and hit enter at the 6 or so prompts asking for options.

17. resize the xp partition to about 1.74GB if you want to be like me. Else, make it different if you know the rest of the space can hold OSX.

18. add a new partition for the rest of the space (should be 5.41 GB or so) in ntfs format.

19. apply all changes. reboot the computer back into windows.

20. The reason for the previous step is to see if windows still boots. it should because it did for me. you should see a new ntfs partition but leave that alone.

21. reboot into your osx install dvd whichever way you know how. Connect the storage location for your slimmed OSX dmg after booting into the dvd, and run disk utility when it gives you the first page of the install. In disk utility, select the ntfs 5.41GB partition and click the erase tab. Erase it to a mac OSX extended journaled format named whatever you want.

23. click the restore button in disk utility, put the dmg file as the source (wherever you put it) and the 5.4GB osx partition as the destination. Wait for it to finish.

24. reboot when it is finished and boot back into gparted usb drive, hitting enter for all the options after selecting gparted default.

25. select the hfs+ partition on the SSD and right click, select change flags, and make it have the "boot" flag.

26. reboot

27. Boot into your magical dellminiboot cd/usb drive that you made when you first installed OSX and such. select 81 during boot, and your SSD will show up, with two partitions, one unlabeled or labeled XP or such, and another with the name of your OSX partition.

28. run the dellefi 1.1 installer again, select custom and click the checkmark for reinstall bootloader, when done, reboot your system and you should come to a screen which will either default to booting OSX, otherwise you can press any key, press up and press enter again in order to boot xp.

29. press alt+shift+3 in mac osx with your screen laid out like in my screenshots and post the resulting screenshot file posted on your desktop here so we can compare how much space we have after installing applications.

30. profit

If you need help post a response here and if I notice it I'll try and help you out. Also post here if you would like to know a broadcom 4312 monitor/inject guide for ubuntu on the mini 9 because that's what I'm about to fiddle with.

My picture proof, taken from http://mydellmini.com/forum/viewtopi...p=60347#p60347

First, what my disks look like in osx.

http://tyreview.com/mini9images/pic1.png

Second, what my disks look like in XP

http://tyreview.com/mini9images/pic2.jpg

Finally, a pic showing how large the fresh backups I have are.

http://tyreview.com/mini9images/back.jpg
  (#2) Old

Default Re: GUIDE: Dual Boot +Slimming OSX/XP on an 8GB SSD - 04-27-2009, 05:18 AM

Gonna check this out tomorrow, been looking for an "easy" dual boot solution, this looks pretty reasonable.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: GUIDE: Dual Boot +Slimming OSX/XP on an 8GB SSD - 04-27-2009, 06:15 AM

pretty much the deal with this guide is that if you want osx and xp on the stock 8gb drive, this will get it to that point. its not optimal, sure, but no guide for less than the maximum possible amount of ram/hard drive/etc ever is. more memory will always benefit you, I'm already starting to notice this with my girlfriend's barebones non-aluminum 800 dollar macbook, but that doesnt mean you can't make do.

Whatever I say, there's always the option to upgrade your hard drive which somewhat negates the need for this guide, but with a netbook (at least with me) you kinda just want to run the basic things, and even a few time-wasting games, that should not need upgrades to the $200 dollar base to get working (excluding usb and SD storage additional space). In my situation, I got my mini 9 for $260 at best buy (which proved worthwhile since i'm sitting here talking to everyone instead of waiting a month for a $250 vostro) but i'm stuck with an 8gb drive unless i want to upgrade. What do i do? I write a guide on how to experience an osx/xp dual boot without needing a prerequisite of a 16gb SSD (which are a lot more expensive than you'd think!)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: GUIDE: Dual Boot +Slimming OSX/XP on an 8GB SSD - 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM

This looks excellent, thanks. It's amazing how quickly things can bloat, I've got a 16gb drive and only have around 3gb space with just OS X installed. Think I need to de-bloat things a little, I'm tempted to dual boot just for the experience
  (#5) Old

Default Re: GUIDE: Dual Boot +Slimming OSX/XP on an 8GB SSD - 04-28-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyork
This looks excellent, thanks. It's amazing how quickly things can bloat, I've got a 16gb drive and only have around 3gb space with just OS X installed. Think I need to de-bloat things a little, I'm tempted to dual boot just for the experience
Following my guide, although I can't say for sure the long lasting implications, you'll have about 10 gb free from a fresh osx install. it starts out at about 11gb after install i think and you can get it like i did down to about 4.3-4.6gb
  (#6) Old

Default 11-23-2009, 12:50 AM

Subscribing for later perusal.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM

BOOKMARKED!! will trying this after i get my 8gb ssd replaced, look promising! , will post the result when done!

Dell Mini 9 White OSX 10.6.7 | Bios A04 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | 1GB | 32GB SSD | 0.3Mpx | Bluetooth ON | USB Legacy Off
  (#8) Old

Default 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM

Hello,
I recently bought a Mini 9 for 90€ with 8GB SSD and 1GB of RAM.
I installed a vLited Window7. But now I walnt to install an OS X with Microsoft Office 2011.

I was looking on your guide, wich is fantastic, and I tried to reduce MAC on a VirtualBox instalation. I done all the steps but finaly the OS takes me 7GB with out Microsoft office 2011.

I've tried it with Leopard and Snow Leopard. But the result is similar.

Why it happens? I've done all the steps.
Please, could you help me?

Thanks.
  (#9) Old

Default 12-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi,

If I remember right I installed OS X 10.6.7 and Office 2008 (not 2011) on a 8 GB SSD. I do not know the difference in size between 2008 and 2011, but I think after installing Office 2008 I still got some space left.

1. I installed Mac OS X 10.6 on another hard drive.
2. I updated it to 10.6.7
3. I installed Office 2008 and all updates
4. I ran all the ideas to bloat off the installation (deleting voices was good)
5. I had to remove some apps. Though I did not want to delete them totally, I dragged them on a USB drive (e.g. iTunes)
6. After I reached an installation smaller then 8 GB, I cloned (with Carbon Copy Cloner) it on the 8 GB SSD

7. I am not sure about this, but I think I had to reinstall the bootloader after booting from the USB installation drive and that was it.

But after doing some SSD speed tests I went back to a 160 GB Samsung HDD, because the speed on both drives was very similar and I preferred to not have the limitations of the 8 GB SSD drive (no music, no pictures, no Dropbox - I put my Dropbox folder on a USB drive too, but I was not happy with this setup - etc.). So if You have some other HDD or SSD, use it ;-). This is the better choice in the long run.

Greetings