Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Quality of external case - 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Hi all

Just a quick question. I have already had to send my Duo back to Dell once due to the underside of the case peeling (on the front edge).

They have replaced without question, but wondered whether anyone else has suffered this problem?

Cheers

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#2) Old

Default 01-22-2011, 02:55 AM

Just noticed mine doing that earlier today, it almost looks like a spray on clear coat that is peeling starting at the edge. doesnt hurt the function but looks like crap.
  (#3) Old

Default 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM

hmmm - not just mine then. i will keep an eye on tne replacement case to see if it does it again.

for info, dell replaced the case without question (following sending them a photo) and got the laptop back to me within a week!

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#4) Old

Default 01-23-2011, 12:10 AM

Please do keep us updated on whether the new one has this issue or whether they've resolved it (some new kind of glue or something) - I would send mine in but if I know the same thing will happen to the new one then there's no point.

A strip of sellotape is currently preventing it against any more damage ;p

I'm from the UK as well so it would be really useful to hear back from you.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJaWa View Post
Please do keep us updated on whether the new one has this issue or whether they've resolved it (some new kind of glue or something) - I would send mine in but if I know the same thing will happen to the new one then there's no point.

A strip of sellotape is currently preventing it against any more damage ;p

I'm from the UK as well so it would be really useful to hear back from you.
No worries - I will keep you updated. thus far, there is no sign of peeling and my first case did start pretty much immediately - a very encouraging sign!

Cheers

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Not an apple in site!
  (#6) Old

Default Updates? - 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM

You haven't posted back so assume you're not experiencing any issues with your new one?

I only put a piece of sellotape down the front but now the case is completely peeling down the sides - so I think that if a new one won't have this issue, then I'll definitely swap it.

If you wouldn't mind me asking who did you contact to get it swapped - you said you sent pictures?

Many thanks
  (#7) Old

Default 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJaWa View Post
You haven't posted back so assume you're not experiencing any issues with your new one?

I only put a piece of sellotape down the front but now the case is completely peeling down the sides - so I think that if a new one won't have this issue, then I'll definitely swap it.

If you wouldn't mind me asking who did you contact to get it swapped - you said you sent pictures?

Many thanks
Hiya

So far, all good with the new case - which is good news. The first one started to peel almost immediately, so it would appear that they may have slightly changed the coating process to make it a little more robust?!

I contacted Dell directly on the number below. Eventually got put through to someone who I was corresponding with on the matter of the lack of sim card (which is currently it would appear not available in EU). Pointed out the issue with the case, and they arranged for a courier to pick it up, swap the case and had it back to me within a week which is nice!

Dell technical support number - 0844 338 1000

Any other queries, let me know

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Not an apple in site!
  (#8) Old

Default 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM

JJ,
Mine is also doing this but only slightly. It's still an annoyance though. Could you upload the pic of yours so i can see how bad it was?
Cheers
  (#9) Old

Default 02-05-2011, 12:28 AM

Here you go fella!

It still hasnt recurred on the replacement case too

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Not an apple in site!
  (#10) Old

Default 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM

I've had the underside of my Duo replaced about 4 weeks ago. It was flaked because the paint on the case (Virgins Touch, as the Chinese call it) is softer than the material the audio dock is covered with.

Guess what, it started to flake again!
This is typical bad design, the underside scrapes over the bottom of the audio dock every time you put it in or take it out. The first time I saw the audio dock I instantly knew this was going to happen.

What can we do about this? I don't want to have it replaced every month but i don't like it to be flaked as well.

Don't use the audio dock, it damages your Duo's case.

Last edited by gasminet; 05-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.