Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#41) Old

Default 10-18-2011, 02:49 AM

I fully recommend Win7 Pro 32bit as it runs amazingly on mine... but I'm using a 32gb SSD. If you dont want to spend all that money for a better OS, then do a fresh install of retail XP pro, not the dell provided, and enjoy your mini.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#42) Old

Send a message via AIM to Ginsu543
Default 10-18-2011, 05:54 AM

The other option is to try a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. I've run both on a 8 GB SSD and they work great. I've even had Mint running on a 4 GB SSD, although it was a tight fit.

But Ric is right, if you're going to go for XP, you definitely want to reinstall fresh.

#1: Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 1.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
#2: Alpine White Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
Server: Obsidian Black Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 64 GB Runcore | 1.5 TB WD Elements | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A06
  (#43) Old

Default 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks.

I've found a tutorial to inslall Windows 7 using only 3GB (with vLite), and an other tutorial to install an OS X into a 8GB SSD.
So, I've planned to install all my applications (Microsoft Office, Open office, Firefox...) in a 16GB SD (Class 4).

I know that I can install the applications in an SD with Windows 7, but I don't know if I can do this with an OS X.

But what I really want to know is witch of these two systems is the fastest.
  (#44) Old
Administrator

Default 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM

They're all about the same when first loaded. I do not suggest making a choice based on OS performance - instead, base it on which applications you want to run.

Steve
  (#45) Old

Default 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Ok,
I want to run Microsoft Office 2010 or 2011, Open Office 3.3 and Firefox.

So, I want to know how many GB will take the OS X, and if I can install the applications in an external 16GB SDHC.
  (#46) Old

Default 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM

After the novelty of OS X wore off I searched for an operating system that allowed my mini to run smoothly. I wanted a small footprint, boot quickly, maximize screen real-estate and to bring life into this computer.

These netbooks are not very powerful and loading unnecessary processes slow them down even more. The majority of operating systems were designed for desktops. They boot slow, install junk you will probably never touch and hog screen real-estate with task and window bars.

Chromium OS is just the linux kernel with a browser running inside X11. I personally find it to be the perfect fit for a netbook. Maximum screen real-estate, extremely fast boot time and no unnecessary garbage installed or running in the background. Not only do most people with netbooks rarely use anything besides a web browser, the applications they do use probably have a web-app alternative.

I've been using Chromium OS on my mini for over a year and have since upgraded to a Macbook Air and own an iMac. I still use my mini for web surfing, music playing into my home system, road trips, outdoor use, and for people that come over and need a computer to use. It's a wonderful little device and runs so much better when it's not being bogged down by junk.

If this is your only computer Windows or some Linux distribution may be a better choice. Still I would figure out what applications I actually use and see if they can be replaced with a web-app.

Last edited by kkendalle; 10-18-2011 at 11:59 PM.
  (#47) Old

Send a message via AIM to Ginsu543
Default 10-19-2011, 12:22 AM

I've personally found that, on my Mini 9, OS X has been consistently faster in boot times and more responsive in running programs than XP and both flavors of Linux I like (Ubuntu and Linux Mint). I'm by no means an Apple apologist (if anything I am a Linux guy and run Linux on every desktop I own), but OS X has won me over as far as my Mini is concerned.

In fact, I've not found OS X to make my Mini feel "bulky" or weighed down by extraneous programs running in the background. Rather, it's been great to have a robust and fully functioning OS in such a portable form factor.

#1: Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 1.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
#2: Alpine White Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
Server: Obsidian Black Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 64 GB Runcore | 1.5 TB WD Elements | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A06
  (#48) Old

Default 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihuangdi View Post
Ok,
I want to run Microsoft Office 2010 or 2011, Open Office 3.3 and Firefox.

So, I want to know how many GB will take the OS X, and if I can install the applications in an external 16GB SDHC.
If you must run MS Office then some form or Windows or OSX would be your best choice. Windows 7 seems to be a good OS. I have not used OSX enough to say either way but many like it. Win XP still works well for an old OS if you have the disks, that way it is free. A clean install every year or so speeds it up nicely.

If you only need to save/open MS Office 10, then I can can do that with my current version of Ubuntu.

Isn't it nice to have lots of good choices

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#49) Old

Default 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM

OK, Thanks.

Finally I decided to install Windows 7 with vLite.

Thanks again.