Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default This, that or the other? - 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Well because of this:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...6gb-drive.html (Still looking for input there btwplstypls.)

I'm now possibly looking at replacing the SSD with either THIS or THIS and looking for opinions on which one to go with or if there's a better alternative.

(Wish there was a way to just put a normal drive in it these weird proprietary SSDs just have almost no benefits and tons of drawbacks.)

If it could boot from SD I'd just run a linux distro from there, but from what I'm seen I guess that isnt possible?

I really hate to put the money into another SSD so I'm open to any ideas on how to make this thing useful without replacing the SSD.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-14-2011, 12:02 AM

Well... The SuperTalent had been a recommended choice, but several people lately have reported serious performance issues with it. The SaberTooth seems to be a rebadged older SuperTalent model that is not recommended.

When the Mini 9 was designed, this card-based SSD was really the only option given space constraints, and I note that Apple has brought back the card-form SSD in its recent products. Intel has some very tiny but good capacity card SSDs but they won't work in the Mini 9.

You could get one of the MicroSD card readers that barely stick out of a USB slot, like this one, and boot from USB. You are correct that the SD slot is not bootable, but it can be used for extra storage once booted.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 07-14-2011, 07:08 PM

I went ahead and ordered the newer SuperTalent labeled one. I just don't see any other options other than the $91 plus shipping STEC 16 from Dell parts that seems to fail like clockwork for everyone between 13 and 36 months.

Thanks for the feedback again!
  (#4) Old

Default 08-12-2011, 01:13 AM

HumanTarget, please post your experience with it! My mini is still cursed with a 4GB STEC!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC