Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#21) Old

Default 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I’ve just timed boot & hibernate etc but have to qualify it slightly as I have NAS storage & a Brother Control Panel that need to load in, I’m also running F-Secure instead of McAfee so it’s hardly a streamlined system.
Boot
Boot to Log-in Screen = 32 seconds
Boot to windows (subtracting the log-in faffing) = 2 min 10 secs before everything is loaded
Hibernate
Windows to Hibernate = 34 secs till the SSD shuts down
Hibernate to Windows = 40 secs before it’s usable but over 1 min 40seconds before it’s fully back up.
I’ll take these timings again later in the week when I’ve installed the Momentus XT

Initial Test on the Momentus XT
Restored system with the same software & startup programs but a few more windows updates:

Boot
Boot to Log-in Screen = 0' 32" (SSD).....0' 37" (XT)
Boot to windows (subtracting the log-in faffing):-
2' 10" (SSD) ..... 2' 20" (XT) before everything's loaded but it is usable in half that time with either drive

Hibernate
Windows to Hibernate - till the HD shuts down 0' 34" (SSD) .... 0' 31" (XT)
Hibernate to Windows = 0' 40" (SSD) .... 0' 45" (XT) before it’s usable but over 1 min 40seconds before everything is fully loaded.

The SSD was slightly quicker in most circumstances except going into hibernation when it was actually slower for some reason. The Duo doesn't feel any more sluggish with the XT and I have the bonus of 500GB of storage, a system restore that works and a drive that doesn't keep locking up - I won't be going back to the SSD

Windows Index Score is still 3 with all the sub scores being identical including the 'Data Transfer' which is still up at 5.7

Keyboard Removal Hint
For anyone taking their Duo to bits, instead of trying to lever the keyboard up/out with a credit card just push a cocktail stick up throught the empty back / centre screw hole (from underneath) & the keyboard with will pop out easily - it's much easier & quicker

Last edited by IanS100; 06-29-2011 at 03:30 PM.
  (#22) Old

Default 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the followup, Ian.
  (#23) Old

Default 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM

2.2 after Clean Install Win 7 Ult
  (#24) Old

Default 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM

the windows experience value for my ssd = 7.8 , sometimes 7.9
so your 5.7 is a bit strange. unless that is only the value for the xt
in that case the score is rather good
  (#25) Old

Default 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddget View Post
2.2 after Clean Install Win 7 Ult
After a clean install? What was it before?

btw- has anybody noticed a new processor showing up in some Dell outlet Duos? N570, I believe
  (#26) Old

Default 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM

I'm getting a 2.7 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. The problem is that it won't get higher because of the graphic card. I recommend a HD upgrade to SSD which give a score of 7.1.
  (#27) Old

Default 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Saul View Post
I'm getting a 2.7 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. The problem is that it won't get higher because of the graphic card. I recommend a HD upgrade to SSD which give a score of 7.1.
As far as I'm aware your score will stay the same because it's held back by the onboard graphics performance.

I tried a Crucial M4 SSD & swapped it out for the Seagate XT and have seen very little difference in performance - it doesn't matter how fast the HD is, if the date flow is held back by the speed of the processor & graphics card you're stuffed. On the plus side, with the XT I no longer get the system locking up, I can do regular system backups to a dedicated 200GB partition on the HD and I'm running with system restore active on the C Partition, and I saved ú100 - there's no way I would go back to the SSD now.

PS. I'm running the Windows Home Premium just as it came out of the Dell box, with loads of programs installed, Thinix, NAS software and Acronis startup recovery et al and I although it takes a while to boot I still have a windows Index Score of 3

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedje View Post
the windows experience value for my ssd = 7.8 , sometimes 7.9
so your 5.7 is a bit strange. unless that is only the value for the xt
in that case the score is rather good
I had an identical Disk data transfer score of 5.7 with both the XT & the SSD which would indicate the this is as fast as the Duo can process the information.

I have the identical XT fitted to a more powerful laptop and get a Data Transfer score of 5.9 which seems to confirm my suspicians as above
  (#28) Old

Default 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
As far as I'm aware your score will stay the same because it's held back by the onboard graphics performance.

I tried a Crucial M4 SSD & swapped it out for the Seagate XT and have seen very little difference in performance - it doesn't matter how fast the HD is, if the date flow is held back by the speed of the processor & graphics card you're stuffed. On the plus side, with the XT I no longer get the system locking up, I can do regular system backups to a dedicated 200GB partition on the HD and I'm running with system restore active on the C Partition, and I saved ú100 - there's no way I would go back to the SSD now.

PS. I'm running the Windows Home Premium just as it came out of the Dell box, with loads of programs installed, Thinix, NAS software and Acronis startup recovery et al and I although it takes a while to boot I still have a windows Index Score of 3

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

I had an identical Disk data transfer score of 5.7 with both the XT & the SSD which would indicate the this is as fast as the Duo can process the information.

I have the identical XT fitted to a more powerful laptop and get a Data Transfer score of 5.9 which seems to confirm my suspicians as above
I rather suspect a driver problem for your ssd then. As i said mine went to 7.8/7.9 and it's faster in daily use then the 320Gb Hdd the duo came shipped with.
  (#29) Old

Default 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedje View Post
I rather suspect a driver problem for your ssd then. As i said mine went to 7.8/7.9 and it's faster in daily use then the 320Gb Hdd the duo came shipped with.
I can only report on my personal experiences with an SSD. The M4 was installed for about 10 days during which time I used it extensively. It was correctly set up in both the bios & registry, had the latest drivers and firmware yet it still locked up occasionally, particularly after booting, and would stay locked for between 10 seconds & 2 minutes, which was not acceptable. In use it was certainly quicker than the OE HD. I doubt however that the OE HD was a particularly speedy device so I don't think it would be all that difficult to better it. Had it not been for the lockups I would've kept the SSD but, having exchanged it for the XT I've not noticed much difference in performance. Your experience is clearly different but I prefer a very very slightly slower sytem with masses of storage and much better recovery to my tried & tested SSD alternative, but each to their own.
  (#30) Old

Default 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Interesting Postscript:

After using the Seagate Momentus XT for a week I ran the Windows Index again and the 'Hard Disk Data Transfer' has gone up to 5.9