Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old

Default 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Mine is strong at 2.9
  (#12) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 04:37 PM

I got a 3.0. Hm...graphics holding me back. I'd like to reduce the laggy feel. Do you all think SSD will be worth it? I know it feels slick in my MacBook Air.
  (#13) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM

First post for me: I bought a duo last week & immediately installed a 128GB Crucial M4 and get a score of 3.0, the same as I did with the original HD - Data Transfer is up at 5.7 but the graphics hold it back to 3.0.

The SSD went straight in without the cage or any case distortion but I'm getting the odd lock up even with the Bios and registry tweaks. The SSD is a lovely bit of kit but I think it's overkill on the Duo and I can't be doing with the lock ups so I'll be changing it to a Momentus XT next week. I'll see if there's any change in the score afterwards
  (#14) Old

Default 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM

2.7 out of box
2.9 after removing a few programs as mentioned on this forum, going through msconfig and turning aero off

I'd like an ssd- prolly wait to see how much they fall this xmas season.

Did your ssd impact battery life, Ian?
  (#15) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 01:05 AM

Battery life is definitely improved and probably by up to 30 minutes which is substantial on the duo but I'm not seeing the overall speed increase I was expecting, probably because the processor just isn't fast enough to take advantage of the SSD so I'll be very interested to see what difference the Momentus XT makes. So far I'm using a stock w7 installation plus quite a few additional installed progs and find the speed more than acceptable, but I do find the Firefox fonts a bit small for my ageing eyesight & would love a Swype keyboard instead of the std hunt & peck thing.
  (#16) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM

I had to google swype keyboard- It does look as if it would help those of us long(er) in the tooth. 30 minutes of extra battery life! That alone may make ssd attractive once the hit the sub $100 range w/o rebate hassles. Did you happen to test the time to restore from hibernation w/your ssd?
I haven't tried FF on the Duo yet- Ie9 works well enough but the lack of noscript and (free)adblock is a good reason to change. I only recently switched to FF4 on my other machines and like the sync feature. I am already seeing FF5 update balloons. Opera mini works well with most sites that don't heavily rely on flash.
I'd be interesting in hearing about the Momentus as well.
  (#17) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM

I’ve just timed boot & hibernate etc but have to qualify it slightly as I have NAS storage & a Brother Control Panel that need to load in, I’m also running F-Secure instead of McAfee so it’s hardly a streamlined system.
Boot
Boot to Log-in Screen = 32 seconds
Boot to windows (subtracting the log-in faffing) = 2 min 10 secs before everything is loaded
Hibernate
Windows to Hibernate = 34 secs till the SSD shuts down
Hibernate to Windows = 40 secs before it’s usable but over 1 min 40seconds before it’s fully back up.
I’ll take these timings again later in the week when I’ve installed the Momentus XT
  (#18) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks for posting the times. They seem long. I hope the Momentus does it for you. If I could trim he 25 seconds mine takes to come out of hibernation in half and gain 30 minutes of battery life w/a ssd, I'd be very happy. I'll have to keep my eye on NewEgg.
  (#19) Old

Default 06-27-2011, 08:08 AM

The times are fairly long but much of that is due to all the startup progs, most of which I use although I have trimmed a couple in MSConfig, The Duo works well and I don't have any complaints over the speed in normal use and I'll be very surprised if that slows much with the momentus XT, I use one in a 17" laptop and I'm very pleased with it.
  (#20) Old

Default 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM

In some other thread i posted a little reboot-time script
that counts your reboot time. Mine rebooted at 50s.

Boot from totally off to desktop ready = 24s.
SSD intel 128Gb