Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie questions on screen orientation, battery life - 05-06-2011, 02:49 AM

Just bought my Inspiron Duo in preparation for a trip abroad.

At the store, in tablet mode, the screen changed orientation when I turned it sideways. At home it isn't doing that. Any advice?

I've read some comments here about the battery life. I was hoping to leave my Nook at home, but folks are saying here that the battery won't last 4 hours (on an 8 hour flight). Advice?

I plan to use this just for reading and mapping and webmail, not many other apps that you all talk about.

And please, respond like I'm slow please - so many of your answers to one another are way beyond my technical experience level (I just use computers, having a clue about programming). Thanks!

Miche
  (#2) Old

Default 05-07-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiedevie View Post
At the store, in tablet mode, the screen changed orientation when I turned it sideways. At home it isn't doing that. Any advice?
I had the same problem, first check if Accelerometer-Magnetometer is installed:

*Looks like a lot of work but it's pretty easy*

First: Click start(the orb) then "control panel" then "Uninstall a Program", if it's installed Accelerometer-Magnetometer should be listed, if it's listed check if it's enabled:

Start -> Control Panel -> Search for Sensors -> Click "Location and Other Sensors" - you should now see the STMicroelectronics 3-Axis device - check the box to enable it (if it's not listed uninstall Accelerometer-Magnetometer and continue on)

If it's not installed follow these steps:

Second: Download this: en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/m/laptop/19790638.aspx

Open the download and it should bring up a folder with 4 items, click exact all files at the top, I recommend exacting them to the desktop.

Then follow these steps:

1.Copy the STMicroelectronics folder to your "C:\Program Files" directory (My computer -> C -> Program Files)

2.Goto Device Manager and click on the "Unknown Device" and choose to update/install driver - (Start -> Control Panel -> Search for Device Manager. You would normally have a device called sensors in the list, but in your case it might say unknown device. Right click on it and there should be an option to install driver/update driver. Click on that and follow the next step.)

3.Browse to the "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\Accelerometer-Magnetometer\Sensor_Driver" folder

Windows will detect and install the driver

4. Merge the 2 registry keys - 1 is for "Current User" the other for "Local Machine" (I don't remember this step -Aaddron)

5. Start -> Control Panel -> Search for Sensors -> Click "Location and Other Sensors" - you should now see the STMicroelectronics 3-Axis device - check the box to enable it

6. Reboot

You can now turn your Duo Portrait or Landscape and the screen will auto rotate based on the orientation
*part of the guide was take from Gary4s of the Dell Community and adapted to be more user friendly*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiedevie View Post
I've read some comments here about the battery life. I was hoping to leave my Nook at home, but folks are saying here that the battery won't last 4 hours (on an 8 hour flight). Advice?
I squeezed out 4:15 once but really you'll get about 2:30 to 3:30, maybe with wifi off you'll get a little more but it defiantly wont last 8 hours straight no matter what, if you don't plan on using it a lot then you might be ok but I wouldn't chance it.

Last edited by Aaddron; 05-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the excellent (and clear!) instructions. I brought the Duo to the office yesterday, and our IT guy spent some time with it and got it all straightened out. He said that it comes installed but not enabled and he cleaned out the junk that was pre-loaded that made it really sluggish when I first got it (the sluggishness almost made me return it). Why don't the instructions tell us about these things, clearly, and have a glossary of terms or something so we know what they are talking about? I'm really comfortable with computers but not a techie, and these instructions always assume a comfort with the terminology. Oh well.

With this battery life thing, I think I'll still bring the nook for my travels.

Thank you again for generously taking your time and giving me (and future readers) the info above.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM

No problem, glad you got it worked out, good luck on your travels.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM

It is very comfortable and user friendly. The drawbacks and some function which was not enabled in lower version of dell mini, now it has been enabled in dell mini 9 notebook/tablet. Problem which is being faced by the user is not so critical, sometime it happens that the OS will hang and it will not work properly. Restore the complete setting of the Inspiron Duo and then restart it. It will work properly.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaddron View Post
I squeezed out 4:15 once but really you'll get about 2:30 to 3:30, maybe with wifi off you'll get a little more but it defiantly wont last 8 hours straight no matter what, if you don't plan on using it a lot then you might be ok but I wouldn't chance it.
How did you manage 4 hours? I don't think I've even gotten 3:00 out of it.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-14-2011, 01:20 AM

I routinely get about 4 hours on power saver mode. I had my Duo replaced because my first one was in the first shipment of Duos and it didnt work. That laptop only got 2 1/2