Alienware M11X Discussion on the Alienware Gaming Ultra Portable, the M11X.

(#1) Old

Default Are you have QC/Qa issues with your M11x - 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM

a Good handful of people over at the notebook review site are having quality control issues with their new m11x...

Are you having these issues too?

1) screen lcd cover warped in the corner?
2) cooling fan running wild?
3) fn key to turn off charging? (known bug?)
4) warped keyboard?
5) OS issues...

Some of what is being reported is a bit scary. I might have to wait for R2/R3 of this product.

Mini 10v
  (#2) Old

Default 03-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchariya View Post
a Good handful of people over at the notebook review site are having quality control issues with their new m11x...

Are you having these issues too?

1) screen lcd cover warped in the corner?
2) cooling fan running wild?
3) fn key to turn off charging? (known bug?)
4) warped keyboard?
5) OS issues...

Some of what is being reported is a bit scary. I might have to wait for R2/R3 of this product.
1) Yes - though somewhat minor warping. Pushed the screen back in and it appears to be ok now.
2) Sorta - depends on what mode you're running and appears to be related to switching between the IGP/NVidia. In either case, if you put the unit to sleep/reboot - the fan goes back to normal.
3) Known issue - potentially a BIOS fix, though no confirmation yet.
4) No.
5) None experienced yet - what issues are you referring to?

With regards to the warping, as noted, I've pushed it back in and it appears to be ok now. However, Dell has offered to replace my unit for this issue alone (which is currently in process). They also will be capturing my unit specifically to take a detailed look at it as well to determine the root cause of the screen issue and fan throttling.

It should be noted that, while there are reported issues with the M11x - overall it's a great machine. Yes - there's a lot of discussion / concern, however, depending on your view - it's either minor and can be fixed - or a major problem issue. PC's have issues, period. Especially brand new PC's of this nature that essentially are creating a new niche in the market and pushing the envelope with regards to performance/form factor. That being said - IMHO it's a great laptop - with some minor annoyances/issues that Dell/AW is actively pursuing to rectify. I've dealt with worse issues in the past with dreadful customer service. In this case, Dell's support has been exemplary.

Should you wait? - Possibly, depending on your patience with regards to a first revision of a brand new product on the market. You may end up with a unit with no issues at all - or you may end up with a lemon. To me, it's the same chance as with any other product you purchase. However, if you continue to wait until all issues with a given product are resolved - you'll never actually buy that product...
  (#3) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Wow...I wonder if it's from Dell's end? After all, Alienware used to be their own company...

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Wow, I'm experiencing none of these issues. Everything is running fine. I haven't tried the charge thing yet, though.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#5) Old

Default 03-20-2010, 12:35 AM

Just received my M11x a few days ago and I haven't come across any issues. Looks perfectly fine to me. Guess I was lucky!
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM

A few people are saying they're having major problems with the graphics drivers, mainly not being able to update them individually without overriding the other graphics card.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old

Default 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM

The 11x is just what I'm looking for. I was waiting for some time to pass and I'm glad I did.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit