General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to Brynjaminjones
Default 10.6 install help: stuck at pinwheel - 04-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Ok, first of all, I'm sorry to be such a huge nuisance, but I hadn't found an answer to this anywhere. I bought a retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 a few days ago, and have been trying to install it on my 16gb Mini 9 since then using the method in this guide: NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

I get past the NetbookInstaller part, onto the OS X disc, but the moment the spinning pinwheel appears, the DVD drive goes idle, and I've left it for a good half hour and nothing happens, except the pinwheel keeps on spinning.

I know others have had this problem, but can someone please help me, or point me in the direction of a possible solution.

Any help will be very much appreciated,
Regards,
Bryn

EDIT: After going back and checking on my Mini 9, a circle with a line across it has appeared in a little white square over the leaf part of the Apple logo... I've never heard of that before!

My Mini: Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 16gb SSD, 8gb SDHC, 2gb RAM, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth, White Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#2) Old

Default 04-13-2010, 05:16 AM

like that you mean?

http://http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1892

all it means is the installation hasn't go far enough in to generate a proper KP.

try another ex DVD or disc. (all things being well with your mini that is)

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#3) Old

Default 04-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Yep, that's the sign, but I've only seen it once. I've tried the install about five other times, and that sign has never appeared again.

I don't have another DVD drive, or another disc, so is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for your help,
Bryn

My Mini: Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 16gb SSD, 8gb SDHC, 2gb RAM, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth, White Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#4) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 12:05 AM

hey Bryn what DVD drive you got? some of them are patchy at this process to say the least. can you try the USB Instal?

have you got a Mac to verify the disc?

if i get you right it goes through the boot maker disc fine, finds your SSD drive then as soon as OSX takes over stalls?

OSX dvd? DVD drive?

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#5) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Hi, I've been using an old DVD drive from a 2001-ish Dell Dimension 4100 (I think it may be a Toshiba), using an IDE-USB adapter from eBay. My old adapter wouldn't work with the OS X disc, but the new one will get onto the disc if I use a variation of the unplugging trick. It finishes on the boot CD, then it gets stuck on the first screen loaded from the DVD (Apple logo with spinning pinwheel), so it doesn't get anywhere far enough for me to find the SSD. No, I haven't tried the USB method, as I don't have a Mac available to use. Is there a solution, or a way to do a USB install without a Mac for preparation?
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Bryn.

(#6) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM

hi

yeah USB method with out a Mac..

NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

OSX disc instals are temperamental, I tried about 4 times before my instal, thanks to my old ex DVD drive.

(#7) Old

Default 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I can't believe that in my rush to find a solution I complete overlooked that method! I'll report back when I've given it a go!

Thanks again Felixz,
Regards,
Bryn