Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default What Do People Think? - 12-26-2010, 12:35 AM

Hi All,

Had my Duo for a few days now and have very mixed feelings at the moment.

Plus points are the build quality, screen quality, audio quality (especially the dock) and performance doing normal tasks... web browsing etc. However,battery life (2.5 - 3 hours) and the performance and usability in tablet mode is awful. Dell Stage (especially MusicStage) just appears to be laggy and almost unusable. Scrolling is jerky and every act is prefixed by the mouse pointer transforming into the busy symbol and a delay of several seconds.

Is this what other people are experiencing?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I have actually upgraded the disk to Seagate Momentum XT which should be about as performant as you can get without shelling out $500 on an SSD drive.
  (#2) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 03:03 AM

Stock, the dell duo is not that great of a tablet experience. Its bogged down with lots of bloatware. But not anymore

I modified allot of the tablet settings in windows 7; now I can say that out of the 7-8 hours that I use my dell duo daily, 90% of the time it is as a tablet.

I have a company ipad, and honestly, the dell duo is a much better internet experience.

Pros' - the feel is awesome, the width between the edge and the screen is enough that you can grip it with your entire hand without touching the touchscreen by accident. With a clean install of windows 7, it is snappy and runs any non-gaming task, no-problem. (Actually, It runs the ONLIVE gaming console perfectly). It makes a great e-reader also.

Cons' - Considering that my old netbook had 11 hours of battery life, Only being able to squeeze out 4 hours out of the dell duo and having to charge is a new habit. That said however the charging cable is small and easy to bring around.

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery
  (#3) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the response - I've removed most of the bloatware (McAffee etc) but really wanted to do a clean install. Unfortunately most of the drivers are not yet available on dell.com and so I couldn't go down that route.

Can you let me know what config changes you made and what you use to manage your media? Both Dell Stage and Media Center stutter and stagger along and are basically unusable.

Thanks,

Mike
  (#4) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Honestly I have never used the "Stage" software... I just use it as a tablet using the Windows OS.....Don't really use the Media Center either. I use IE, Rhapsody and Nook software from B&N to read books.... I will run all three at the same time and really haven't had any issues.....

The only problem I have had is a little lagging when I type on some websites...... Not sure what causes it but its not really that bad....

I haven't really taken anything off the system yet.... other than McAfee.... I will probably end up taking most of the other garbage that I don't use off sometime soon.....
  (#5) Old

Default 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyp View Post
Thanks for the response - I've removed most of the bloatware (McAffee etc) but really wanted to do a clean install. Unfortunately most of the drivers are not yet available on dell.com and so I couldn't go down that route.

Can you let me know what config changes you made and what you use to manage your media? Both Dell Stage and Media Center stutter and stagger along and are basically unusable.

Thanks,

Mike
Im writing a blog on how to do it, I will link to it when im done
Should be done in a few days.

(#6) Old

Default 12-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
Im writing a blog on how to do it, I will link to it when im done
Should be done in a few days.
nice.. lets us know when its done..
  (#7) Old

Default 12-28-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
nice.. lets us know when its done..
Part one is up: The Dell Inspiron Duo Tips&Tricks – Part 1 ┬ź CMediaStudio

(#8) Old
Expert Member

Thumbs up 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I'm very much on the fence about getting one to replace my trusty dusty Mini 9.

Seeing the tweaks applied here helps a bit.
I'm trying to get comfortable with the battery situation as well. Heck my Mini 9 doesn't run much longer than that on a standard battery.

Seems that if I do get one I should get an extra power adapter.

As usual, I found the best user information on My Dell Mini!
you guys rock

I'm still going to think on this for a few more days, but this is the direction I'm heading.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#9) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm very pleased with mine. I mainly use it for internet, media, and a few other apps, and I almost exlcusively use it in tablet mode.

I, too, found the duostage to be pretty useless, so I foudn a better touch interface from thinix and installed that. It's much easier to use.

I'm not thrilled with the battery life..it's obviously not very good. I'm going ot have to get one of those external rechargeable batteries or something for long trips when an outlet isn't available. As it stands, I can hardly get through a movie on a long flight with the battery.

But, honestly, other than battery life, I'm pretty happy.

BTW- I have the audio station and rarely, if ever, use it for anything other than a charging base. I also did not do a clean re-install of windows, jsut uninstalled a lot of junk, and mine doesn't experience lag or bugginess.
  (#10) Old

Default 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastra View Post
I'm very pleased with mine. I mainly use it for internet, media, and a few other apps, and I almost exlcusively use it in tablet mode.

I, too, found the duostage to be pretty useless, so I foudn a better touch interface from thinix and installed that. It's much easier to use.

I'm not thrilled with the battery life..it's obviously not very good. I'm going ot have to get one of those external rechargeable batteries or something for long trips when an outlet isn't available. As it stands, I can hardly get through a movie on a long flight with the battery.

But, honestly, other than battery life, I'm pretty happy.

BTW- I have the audio station and rarely, if ever, use it for anything other than a charging base. I also did not do a clean re-install of windows, jsut uninstalled a lot of junk, and mine doesn't experience lag or bugginess.

Hi-

I work with Thinix.

I am glad to hear you like the software. Please note an updated release should be available in the next few weeks that will improve some of the touch and screen rotation features.

For those wondering, you may get Thinix Touch and MyMashup UI software (use them both for best results) from www.thinix.com/touch - 30 day free trial. Licenses start at $29.99