Thinix Software for Dell Duo Discussions about the Thinix software for Dell Duo. Hosted by Thinix company

(#41) Old

Default 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyclark View Post
Great. We will check out that issue with saving in Qiuck Edit Mode.

Thanks!

My issue has been that there is not save "button" in quick edit mode. There's a drop-down widnow to select the button, but no "save" or anything like that. I've been using the configurator, too, in lieu of the quick edit, so it's not a big deal.

I still really dislike the blackout feature, as it actually makes rotating the screen take considerably longer than without it, but disabling it (ctrl + X) should also disable thinix flip, right? I'd love to disable the blackout and the resulting rotation icon (which, to be honest, is both pointless and silly) but keep the "flip" application running.

Is there something in the .ini file that will allow it? (changing the time from 3500 to 1000 in the .ini as per the support person's recommendation did absolutely nothing)
  (#42) Old

Default 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastra View Post
My issue has been that there is not save "button" in quick edit mode. There's a drop-down widnow to select the button, but no "save" or anything like that. I've been using the configurator, too, in lieu of the quick edit, so it's not a big deal.

I still really dislike the blackout feature, as it actually makes rotating the screen take considerably longer than without it, but disabling it (ctrl + X) should also disable thinix flip, right? I'd love to disable the blackout and the resulting rotation icon (which, to be honest, is both pointless and silly) but keep the "flip" application running.

Is there something in the .ini file that will allow it? (changing the time from 3500 to 1000 in the .ini as per the support person's recommendation did absolutely nothing)

Hi Wastra-

We put a post about this in the Thinxi Support Forums, and will copy it below:

Understanding Thinix Rotate_Blackout:
Thinix Rotate_Blackout.exe provides screen blanking when the screen on devices supporting auto-rotation are redrawing
the screen. Rotate_Blackout provides other functionality integral to Thinix Flip on computers using Thinix Flip
technology such as the Dell Duo convertable laptop.

Rotate_Blackout does NOT cause rotation to be slower, it simply blanks the screen during rotation events to provide
a more cosmetic rotation experience to the end-user.

This is not necessary in Windows unless you have hardware supporting Thinix Flip, such as the Dell Duo.

Modifying rotation blanking interval:
1. open the file:
c:\program files\thinix\thinix touch\utilities\blackout\rotate.ini

the blanking interval is specified in microseconds as follows:
blacktime=3500

this means that during a rotation event, that the screen is blanked for 3.5 seconds,
so if you wanted to modify this to two seconds you would change this entry to:
blacktime=2000

It is not recommended to set this interval below: 1000 (one second)

after you make your changes, save the file.
press Alt X to close rotate_blackout
to test your new settings run:
c:\program files\thinix\thinix touch\utilities\blackout\rotate_blackout.exe

Uninstalling Thinix Rotate_Blackout.exe (not recommended
You cannot simply delete this applicaton as it is required by Thinix Touch, however you can modify the behavior
so that Rotate_Blackout doesn't run in a standard Windows shell.

1. Start - Run, and type: msconfig - hit enter
2. Click Startup Tab, click Manufacturer column heading, scroll down to Thinix
3. Uncheck the checkbox in front of Thinix Rotate_Blackout
4. Hit OK
5. Hit Restart

That will prevent Rotate_Blackout from starting with Windows

However Rotate_Blackout is started automatically any time you enable or disable rotation using the rotation lock icon in the Thinix Menu.

If you want to close Rotate_Blackout after you exit Thinix Touch you can edit the following entry:

6. open the file:
c:\program files\thinix\thinix touch\utilities\TT2E\TT2E.ini

change the following lines and hit save.

Killcount=2
KILL2=Rotate_Blackout.Exe

----

On your other question about saving in QuickEdit Mode - need to click the advanced check box, and extra options will appear so can edit the buttons in Touch (to a certain extent).
  (#43) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshield View Post
so does thinix provide any extra apps or is it simply
an overlay?
This is actually a very good question. No disrespect intended for Thinix, but it appears to be a very well-designed touchscreen-focused application launcher. To me, the key is to get the underlying OS (in the case of the Duo, Windows 7) to be more "touch-friendly". For example, Thinix presents an elegant interface, but when I launch Word, it's still just Word. I'm using Vista Origami Experience's "Touch Settings" module to tweak the underlying UI such as scrollbars, etc.

Does or will Thinix provide such tweaking?

Don't get me wrong, I think Thinix is an excellent replacement for the otherwise clunky Stage apps, and it provides a far more usable and interesting interface. I'm just curious if its scope of features reaches beyond what I initially see.
  (#44) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Still awaiting a solution for my french keyboard problem.
The nicest would be ofcourse to have the thinix keyboard
adapt to the regional settings of windows, but I would already
be happy to have a "fix-designed" thinix keyboard that corresponds
to my underlying "french-settings".

now when i use the thinix keyboard it doesn't write the same characters
that I touch on the keys

After that i can disable the windows-duo screen-keyboard and will be happy.

Last edited by friedje; 04-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
  (#45) Old
Expert Member

Default 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

I tried Thinix and sadly was not impressed with the performance of my Duo with it installed, and subsequently removed it.

Now, even more unfortunately as a result of trying the software, my keyboard icon will no longer remain locked to my task bar.

I've tried re-locking it in, and every time I restart it's gone.

I'd appreciate some advice on getting it back again if it's available.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#46) Old

Default 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
I tried Thinix and sadly was not impressed with the performance of my Duo with it installed, and subsequently removed it.

Now, even more unfortunately as a result of trying the software, my keyboard icon will no longer remain locked to my task bar.

I've tried re-locking it in, and every time I restart it's gone.

I'd appreciate some advice on getting it back again if it's available.
Enabling Microsoft TIP to have an icon in the Windows Taskbar, works but doesn't persist across user sessions.

It appears that Microsoft has a bug somewhere that prevents the TabTip icon from displaying in the Windows Taskbar.

An easy soluton to this problem is to right click the TabTip link in the start menu and select 'Pin to Taskbar'.

This works to pin the application permenantly to the taskbar.

If I find out something different I will try and repost here, though this doesn't appear to be an issue with Thinix Touch.

-Anthony

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
This is actually a very good question. No disrespect intended for Thinix, but it appears to be a very well-designed touchscreen-focused application launcher. To me, the key is to get the underlying OS (in the case of the Duo, Windows 7) to be more "touch-friendly". For example, Thinix presents an elegant interface, but when I launch Word, it's still just Word. I'm using Vista Origami Experience's "Touch Settings" module to tweak the underlying UI such as scrollbars, etc.

Does or will Thinix provide such tweaking?

Don't get me wrong, I think Thinix is an excellent replacement for the otherwise clunky Stage apps, and it provides a far more usable and interesting interface. I'm just curious if its scope of features reaches beyond what I initially see.

We are working on a couple items that may be useful to many people, keep and eye out for more info as I am able.

While we cannot affect the internal workings of applications, we are trying to maximize usability. For example, when Thinix Touch installs, one of the options is to run Visual Customizations, which makes the Windows title and scroll bars bigger to be easier to interact with.

Also note that there a lot of configurable features in the Thinix Touch Configuration.exe that allows you to have some pretty granular control over the behavior of the UI, such as setting up a pin code, setting up a one-touch sleep button and more.
  (#47) Old
Expert Member

Default 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM

I'm quite sure the icon on my taskbar was persistent for the months of use prior to trying Thinix.

I will continue to seek my own solution to this issue.

Thank you.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#48) Old

Default 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM

can you try to go to a system restore point just before installing thinix ?
not garanteed that it will work,
but there is a good chance.
  (#49) Old

Default 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
I'm quite sure the icon on my taskbar was persistent for the months of use prior to trying Thinix.

I will continue to seek my own solution to this issue.

Thank you.

Did right clicking the TabTip link in the start menu and select 'Pin to Taskbar' not work?

I did it on a Duo here in the office and worked fine. Might also try checking what Windows theme is active.
  (#50) Old

Default Took the plunge - 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Installed Thinix...

Used it for about an hour...

Sold

The responsiveness and accuracy of the touch interface was VASTLY improved with the Thinix shell. Dell ought to be paying these guys to replace DuoStage...

The one quirk is that the Thinix keyboard doesn't always pop up, leaving me to use the standard Windows one...maybe I missed a setting?

Sleeping_Panda

Inspiron 1090 (Duo) since 2/23/11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Optiplex 760; Latitude D630; Latitude D830; Latitude E6410 (and this is just at work)
Technical Support & Training Technician
@ a DOE National Laboratory