Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default since im not getting a solution on the ubuntu forums.... - 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM

here is my issue

[ubuntu netbook remix] is there a way to revert back to the old window style in 10.10? - Ubuntu Forums

its my girlfriends computer and i really would like to get things working properly again. unity is pretty much a disaster.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM

Are you wanting to switch from the 10.10 Netbook to the 10.10 Desktop? As far as your display have you tried System, Preferences, Appearances, Visual Effects?

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM

you need to log out to get on to a log in screen. Once there there should be an option at the bottom of the screen to change session, you can choose a normal gnome desktop or netbook remix. (if the session option is not visible try logging in with the wrong password and it should appear. After that try changing the default in admin/users or accounts (cant remember the exact name. To remove panel bars etc, right click and remove item/add item etc or even just remove the panel and start again.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Are you wanting to switch from the 10.10 Netbook to the 10.10 Desktop? As far as your display have you tried System, Preferences, Appearances, Visual Effects?
no, as stated in my thread on ubuntu forums (and you can see in the screenshot), i have tried to switch from the unity interface to the old clutter based interface, but its not working properly.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew74 View Post
you need to log out to get on to a log in screen. Once there there should be an option at the bottom of the screen to change session, you can choose a normal gnome desktop or netbook remix. (if the session option is not visible try logging in with the wrong password and it should appear. After that try changing the default in admin/users or accounts (cant remember the exact name. To remove panel bars etc, right click and remove item/add item etc or even just remove the panel and start again.
please look at the ubuntu forums thread. its painfully obvious that i have done this already. what i am getting is a normal gnome overlay on top of the clutter style launcher. for the record its something like netbook edition 2d in the menu you are talking about.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry yakinikku, just trying to help. Good luck with that and hope your girlfriend forgives you.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew74 View Post
Sorry yakinikku, just trying to help. Good luck with that and hope your girlfriend forgives you.
lol...i know, i appreciate it but it looks like i have to report a bug because no one seems to have a solution. my girlfriend isnt pissed about it, i switched it to the normal desktop and jazzed it up a bit and shes liking it. she doesnt know much about computers so it doesnt really matter. but thats exactly the reason why the clutter based launcher works so well.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 07:14 PM

is the old interface even included in this version? it may require adding repos from 10.04 which could be less than fun
  (#8) Old

Default 10-21-2010, 07:40 PM

are you asking how to change the Unity desktop for the Gnome desktop (or some other desktop environment)?

If so the easiet way to do it is to back up your home directory and do a cold reinstall of ubuntu using the ISO for the particular desktop you want. I haven't checked, but sometimes the reps include desktop environments as sessions. try a search for Gnome session and see what comes up. If you can install it that way, then you can simly install the package and choose the gnome session from the log-in screen.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM

As far as I know the old netbook interface is not compatible with 10.10. You can go to the normal Ubuntu interface, I thought it was an option at boot.

This is why I tried 10.10 before upgrading. I will be sticking with 10.04, since Unity is a disaster. I'm hoping they see the light or I will be either sticking with 10.04 or getting rid of Ubuntu on my Mini9.
  (#10) Old

Default 11-02-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntufanXD View Post
is the old interface even included in this version? it may require adding repos from 10.04 which could be less than fun
yes it is. at the login screen you can select the 2d version and its the same as the old interface.

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
are you asking how to change the Unity desktop for the Gnome desktop (or some other desktop environment)?

If so the easiet way to do it is to back up your home directory and do a cold reinstall of ubuntu using the ISO for the particular desktop you want. I haven't checked, but sometimes the reps include desktop environments as sessions. try a search for Gnome session and see what comes up. If you can install it that way, then you can simly install the package and choose the gnome session from the log-in screen.
no. what i was trying to do was get the 2d netbook edition interface to work correctly. if you look at the screenshot you can see that there is obviously a problem. i ended up reinstalling 10.04 on her computer.

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
As far as I know the old netbook interface is not compatible with 10.10. You can go to the normal Ubuntu interface, I thought it was an option at boot.

This is why I tried 10.10 before upgrading. I will be sticking with 10.04, since Unity is a disaster. I'm hoping they see the light or I will be either sticking with 10.04 or getting rid of Ubuntu on my Mini9.
you can also select a 2d version of the netbook launcher which is like the old interface. all of this is pretty obvious from the screenshot. i ended up reverting back to 10.04 on her computer.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

here is yet another example of what i am talking about

[ubuntu netbook remix] Switch from Unity back to old Netbook Remix Interface - Ubuntu Forums

this comes pre packaged in the current version of UNE, i even tried to install it on my laptop which runs ubuntu desktop and i got the exact same issue, which is this

[SOLVED] Netbook remix seems to be using gnome - Ubuntu Forums

however, as these are both netbooks and have no graphics cards, just the onboard intel graphics, the solution listed in that thread does not apply to my situation. try it for yourself if you still dont understand what i am talking about.