Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Power supply/dock mod. - 10-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Has anyone done anything to replace the power adapter pin on their mini 9? I've been having trouble with mine for a while now. The plug fits loosely and it randomly stops charging wasting the battery and changing the screen brightness. I sent it in to Dell at the end of warranty but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I found someone online who did a homemade magnetic plug, which would be nice. I was also thinking of some kind of dock with external connectors, or even a wireless charging system.

Anyone have any ideas, or problems with their mini 9?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM

The connector can loosen if strain is regularly put on the power plug. This is a common problem with all portable devices, especially notebook/netbook computers. I think the jack on the Mini 9 is a separately replaceable part - not 100% sure of that.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
Has anyone done anything to replace the power adapter pin on their mini 9? I've been having trouble with mine for a while now. The plug fits loosely and it randomly stops charging wasting the battery and changing the screen brightness. I sent it in to Dell at the end of warranty but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I found someone online who did a homemade magnetic plug, which would be nice. I was also thinking of some kind of dock with external connectors, or even a wireless charging system.

Anyone have any ideas, or problems with their mini 9?
May the hacking begin:

1) Female computer DC: magsafe items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Electronics items on eBay.com!

2) Male power connector: Repair MagSafe Cord Cable For Mac Magsafe Power adapter - eBay (item 370414977472 end time Oct-29-10 11:41:52 PDT)

You can also get a used magsafe adapter for macbook 13inch and harvest the cord for about the same price.

File:MagSafe1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 V+ @ 16.5 VDC (Cut and input 19v)
Pin 3 Charge control pin
Pin 4 V+ @ 16.5 VDC (Cut and input 19v)
Pin 5 Ground

I was going to work on this project and use one of the USB ports as an input for the magsafe connector, or Dremel out the existing power port. But decided against the project considering the cost and potential damage. Also didn't want to lose a USB port. Even though I don't think I have ever used three USB ports at the same time.

It's easier to replace the DC jack if and when it breaks because its modular. If mine broke though I would consider a magsafe option.

Don't bother looking elsewhere for a magsafe type connector, apple has the rights to it and will go after anyone trying to replicate it.

Here is a ton more info on magsafe connectors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

Enjoy, and post pictures when you're done if you do the project. I'd be curious as to where you would place the DC input jack.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 10-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I have seen that before, It doesn't look safe to me having the positive pin poking out like that when not connected to the laptop. Or I would have recommended trying something like that.

The real deal magsafe connectors look cool and are fail safe.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Now we're talking. I really like the magsafe idea, but the connector looks huge and might be kind of spendy. Another thought I had was to make or buy some kind of shelf or bin that has the power plug built in to it, allowing you to slip the mini into it, eliminating the possibility of movement.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Using a right-angle plug eliminates most of the stress on the socket.

Steve