Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Boxee for Hulu. - 11-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Anyone else using boxee on their mini9 to run Hulu? Since Hulu doesn't work that well with the atom N270(especially with how poor flash on linux is) I decided to try Boxee. Boxee is a XBMC port that will play local as well as online videos.

Their Hulu app must not use flash, because I can now watch Hulu full screen, almost flawlessly. There is an occasional stutter, but this may be because I am still running 9.04 with the poor Intel drivers. There are a couple minor issues, to change the volume I have to alt-tab out of the program, and I cant seem to skip ahead on the video.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 11-12-2009, 03:53 AM

I appreciate the info, but in answer to your question: I'm not using Boxee.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 11-12-2009, 07:44 PM

So you are getting HULU to play on Boxee on your Mini 9? I am not for some reason. I have the latest BOXee version and running Win 7. The timer starts counting and a HULU window opens but it does not play. just a black area where the video is supposed to be.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Dell Mini 9 Black - 16GB - Bluetooth - 1.3 Webcam - XP - Still trying to figure out how to add OSX
  (#4) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 02:56 AM

Not sure, it may be an problem with the windows version of Boxee? It takes a few seconds to load, but the Hulu app works great. I did have some problems on other apps, like the onion.
  (#5) Old

Default 11-14-2009, 04:55 AM

I played with both boxee and the hulu app for ubuntu. While I was impressed with the program, they both use flash, and quickly started stuttering once the CPU heated up. My personal experience was that boxee is a great program and has TONS of potential, but my mini doesn't have quite enough juice for seamless framerates. That said, I think both boxee and the hulu app performed better in fullscreen than watching hulu in fullscreen from a browser. YMMV
  (#6) Old

Default 11-15-2009, 04:41 AM

Are you using it in Windows or Linux. I tried the hulu desktop app on linux, and it seemed the same as the browser version. Full screen videos are slideshows and the menus are even slow. Boxee works great and only a few dropped frames here and there. If they are using flash they have heavily optimized it or something.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-20-2009, 01:43 AM

I tried it in linux. My understanding is that the old boxee was browser and thus flash free, but hulu kept blocking them, so now they create a virtual browser window in boxee so that hulu headquarters can't distinguish a boxee user from any other user