Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#31) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-13-2009, 10:31 PM

yeah, I read this thread after the update. So far I've remapped the Windows key and renamed my Firefox folder... thankfully my add-on library wasn't affected. I use Zotero for web research and Foxlinks to sync my bookmarks with my desktop, so i wasn't too worried about loosing stuff.

I've always used VLC, so not having Totem work isn't a huge deal, but to others it might be.

Am I given to understand that this update now allows i386 .deb installation? That would be a fair trade-off for the few minor inconveniences of having to rename a folder and remap a key :mrgreen:

Diana

Dell Mini 9, Ubuntu Remix, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Obsidian
  (#32) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM

My Totem works fine with the new version. I do not think this is a consistent problem.

And no - the kernel is still lpia (not i386). Although most i386 .debs can be modified to work.
  (#33) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-15-2009, 03:54 AM

My Totem also only displays a green screen after the 177 package upgrade. It did actually work for a few seconds and then green screened. Sound is fine in Totem. Before the upgrade, everything worked flawlessly. I tried VLC which works, but video performance is very poor. Totem playback was perfect. I have looked around quite a bit and don't see a solution to this. Does anyone have any ideas. Could it have something to do with Fluendo codecs?

I have done MANY upgrades on multiple systems, sometimes over 300 packages at once and truely have never noticed a problem.
  (#34) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-15-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugm6hr
My Totem works fine with the new version. I do not think this is a consistent problem.

And no - the kernel is still lpia (not i386). Although most i386 .debs can be modified to work.
The updates and the base system will always use the lpia. the GDebi package installer has been modified to accept installation of i386 packages. These packages can only be installed manually, and they are not tracked by apt (and thus Synaptics).
  (#35) Old

Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM

i added the 2 netbook remix repos and i can install normal i386 deb. but is there a risk of adding netbook remix repos?
  (#36) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-18-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
There's a setting in Synaptic to delete the update files after things have been updated on the system:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic -> Settings -> Preferences -> Files

Temporary Files should be set to "Delete downloaded packages after installation"

Plus, if your disk is already filled up, there's a handy button there labeled "Delete Cached Package Files". Click this to re-claim your drive space the package manager is wasting with old updates...
Thank you very much, Gerallk.
Your suggestion is very useful, as usual.
200 MB freed on my 8GB SSD by means of that handy button!

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#37) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-18-2009, 11:19 PM

I've just installed these updates.
As well as the Firefox problems, I've lost my UK keyboard setting and got a Generic US keyboard layout.
I've tried System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layout to Dell UK but still get # instead of £.
  (#38) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM

I have the same problem - but it is not just the hash key: the @ and " are swapped and I haven't found where the backslash key is!
  (#39) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-19-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBarnabus
I have the same problem - but it is not just the hash key: the @ and " are swapped and I haven't found where the backslash key is!
I've got the same problem with my Italian keyboard.
Moreover, the Evolution mail comes with the Send/Receive button disabled. Fortunately, this can be easily adjusted.

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#40) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM

Using System->Preferences->Keyboard and the advice on this forum about making keyboard changes permanent, I've managed to get back to a UK keyboard.
And I've fixed the Firefox folder. Just need to get the Windows key to behave as before in Firefox now....

This has not been a good experience and has knocked my rating of the Mini down several points.