Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default HD Screen for 1010 - 06-30-2013, 01:00 AM

This seems to have been asked several times before with no solid answers. I have a Mini 1010, currently with the 1.33GHz/1GB daughterboard and 1024x600 screen. I have just ordered a replacement 1.6GHz/2GB daughterboard and have Win7 32bit ready to go all to try and eek a bit more poke out if this thing, and while I am at it I was wanting to also replace the screen with the 1366x768. It leaves me with a couple of questions:
A lot of the ebay auctions that claim 1010 compatibility warn to stick with the same resolution screen you are trying to replace. Can I ignore these warnings under the assumption that all the connectors are the same on both types of screen and do an upgrade?
Does anyone have the part numbers for the different screens so I can compare images at least and take a chance if it looks good?
At a stretch, I did also read about cross compatibility between different models of Mini 10. Has anyone heard of using a HD screen intended for a 1012 or similar?
  (#2) Old

Default 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM

I did it a little differently...I bought a used 1010 on ebay that had the 2gb board and an HD screen. It was cheaper than buying the two parts separately. It also had win 7 on it, installed by the previous owner. I would have just used it but my original 1010 has the TV receiver in it, so I switched everything from the used one into mine, including the HD with the win7. After a couple of complaints from windows update, it all worked fine. I put all my old parts into the used one and it works fine too. The screens switched out fine, all connectors fit fine. It is delicate work but with time and patience, it can be done. The screen connectors and wire are very delicate.
  (#3) Old

Default 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Good to know, though. Pretty much confirms that the connectors and cabling between the 1366 and 1024 1010 screens are in the same place. I have a CPU upgrade here and now a new 1366 screen on the way. I'm waiting to do both on the same day. Should be fun!
  (#4) Old

Default 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Well, upgrades done. For info, I got a 1.6GHz/2GB daughterboard from eBay (part #R031P) to replace the current 1.3GHz/1GB card. Installation was pretty easy: I knew ahead of time one of the screw mounts would be way off and the other off by a few mm, so the mount that was way off was covered with a small piece of antistat stuck down, and for the other mount I ground out the hole a few mm with my Leatherman It got a few odd looks as I whittled away at a PCB, but worked well

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

As for the screen, I did order a HD (1366x1024) screen to replace my old, lower res one. Specifically, I ordered this one:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/596881/

All connectors and mounts were in the same place, replacement was a relatively easy job. In fact, the only frustrating part of the whole thing was the plastic covers over the screen bezel hinges that were a bit finicky to get the bezel out from behind, and then back after the replacement was done.
As a test I rebooted with XP Home that was on it, and it was fine. New resolution available, all seemed a bit quicker. Backing up, wiping, and reinstalling with Win7 Pro 32bit was done next.
All in all, after the reinstall it's pretty much like night and day. It's turned what was a damn-near unusable doorstop that I truly hated even booting into a nice little bit of kit. The higher res screen makes web browsing and viewing pictures comfortable rather than annoying when too much of the bottom of pics or pages was cut off before, and probably the bump in RAM rather than the faster CPU actually makes the whole thing a lot more responsive. TBH, worth it at twice the price.