Mac OS X Guides Guides for installing and configuring Mac OSX on your Dell Mini.

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default 01-01-2011, 05:45 PM

[Edited to include working link to NBI file] [04/19/13]
This guide will show you how to create a bootable OS X installation USB flash drive using your PC. (For use with Dell Mini 10v, and Dell Mini 9.)

If you are new to Hackintosh, check out this thread before you install:...

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 04-20-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Oscar can you help i have installed 10.6.8 using your guide but it wont reboot properly without the NBI 0.8.4 RC1 plugged in i have dell9 with bios A02 can you help
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreed1961 View Post
Oscar can you help i have installed 10.6.8 using your guide but it wont reboot properly without the NBI 0.8.4 RC1 plugged in i have dell9 with bios A02 can you help
there's a few things you can try. try running NBI from within the Installer -- Utilities/NBI, and uncheck everything except install Chameleon Bootloader.

try the same thing from within your OS X install once you've logged into the mini's HD installation. there's a copy of NBI in your applications folder.

One of those should do the trick.

cheers.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM

HELP. I make the NBI image into a bootable memory stick, but it refuses to boot from it... tried everything... im going to end off breaking the laptop myself in a second if i cant work this out
Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM

AWESOME!!! I followed this guide and BAM! I now have me a little HackBook. Thanks for the guide.

Now for updates. Hopefully they will go as smooth.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Default restart computer

I have dell mini 1012 that I have been attempting tp load Snow leapord, I get the Apple icon and then it goes to a screen that says I miust restart my computer, I redo the process and end up at the same screen. I saw somebody esle had the same problem but I did not see how they fixed it.
this is the warning I get
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xEA2CC65): "Unsupported CPU\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-39.2/cstateCPU.c.:627
Debugger called: <panic>

Last edited by stucliff; 10-21-2011 at 11:53 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM

Default 1010?

I apparently have a newer 1010 (not 1011 or 10v).
It has 2 GB of memory and the GPS 3g modem.
I have tried several methods of installing OS X 10.6 and none have been successful.
Should your method work or do you know?
The internal drive does not show up under Disk Utilities.
Following another guide on this site, I can never see the internal drive with DiskUtility. So I took the drive out and put it in an external enclosure and installed there. It re-booted and ran, everything worked except sound and mic. I then put it back in the 1010 and booted and then get the kernel panic.
Tonight I attach another external drive to install to, but when I boot (from NBI) the install USB drive, I get the Kernel packet.
Seems something that occurs during boot of install disk or Disk Utilities, causes the install OS X drive to no longer boot.
I am about to give up. Any ideas?

Last edited by Randy Bryant; 10-25-2011 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 PM

"I have a Mac Mini, I have a mac Mini" thanks to you and your guide. Surprised on how well this guide worked out. EVERYthing is up and running. OS X 10.6.3 is all I need for what I'm running (MS Office 2011), no need for upgrades. Thanks again, now on to tackle the big boys. . . .Mac Pro Hack.

rob

EDIT: 10-29-2011
Just updated to OS X 10.6.7. No cliche and ALL is still up and runing. Next step - RAM upgrade.

rob

Last edited by robflores; 10-30-2011 at 11:40 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM

Very good!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Hi guys,

So i followed this tutorial perfectly, created both Boot USB and Install USB (10.6.3) using TransMac.

Now the issue im faced with is when it comes to booting up with the USB, i insert it when its off, switch on , press 0 to boot from usb device then i get a dash flshing and spinning in the top left corner after a few seconds it stops spinning and then stops reading the USB. Now ive tried all the tutorials on the net and its beginning to get to me now, really frustrating! All i want is Mac on a Mini 9. but nothing seems to work!

Any Ideas??

Matt
Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt87102 View Post
Hi guys,

So i followed this tutorial perfectly, created both Boot USB and Install USB (10.6.3) using TransMac.

Now the issue im faced with is when it comes to booting up with the USB, i insert it when its off, switch on , press 0 to boot from usb device then i get a dash flshing and spinning in the top left corner after a few seconds it stops spinning and then stops reading the USB. Now ive tried all the tutorials on the net and its beginning to get to me now, really frustrating! All i want is Mac on a Mini 9. but nothing seems to work!

Any Ideas??

Matt
hey Matt... sent you an IM, but i'm posting the info here as well in case it might be of use to others..

your bootloader appears to be working ok-- the spinning cursor is a good indicator. next step is to start up your machine with both the USB keys inserted, hit 0, and boot from USB. if this is where you're stuck, there may be something wrong w/ the Macintosh Installer key.

Generally, the first thing i ask ppl is: where did the DVD come from? it's important, and i'm not implying any wrong doing. but this process is designed to work only with retail versions of the DVD, (either 10.6.0, or 10.6.3). It will not work with 'oem' versions of the software (that comes packaged with a mac), and may or may not work with downloaded versions since many of those are altered for specific uses.

provided your dvd is retail version (btw, these were released as 'upgrades' though they actually contain the full version of the software), one other thing to make sure is that transmac is grabbing the correct information. check the usb key to verify that it contains around 8 gigs of information. if it has anything less (either 4 gigs, or in some cases something like 1 MB) then there is something definitely wrong w/ the key. make sure you're choosing the right file (the .iso, not the .DVD)..

one more thing that just came to mind... i have heard in some cases it makes a difference which USB slot you use for the bootloader and Installer, so if you believe you've followed everything correctly, and your keys are good, try alternating which slot you insert the keys into..

hope this helps.

cheers.

edit: one more thing: I hava heard of some users succeeding in this process using an 8 gig USB key for the installer. however, I was never able to accomplish it, and was forced to use a 16 gig drive after which the process was painless. so if you are using an 8 gig drive, that may be the source of your troubles.

Last edited by Oscar; 11-12-2011 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: one more thing....
Comment

Tags
10.6.3, 10v, mini 9, nbi 0.8.4 rc1, snow leopard

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools