Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 05:00 AM

So this is what I found when I took my Mini9 apart today. That is a heatsink thermal pad that was not installed properly! (I had already fixed the pad to the right) That particular one was on the northbridge, and was only covering 50% of the die! This explains a lot. I'd occassionally get a jittery display after long video viewing sessions. I'm just glad the chip didn't self destruct! The southbridge one wasn't much better, but not as important, and the CPU one was installed poorly, but the CPU has such a small die that it managed to cover the whole thing.
So I highly suggest, take your Mini9 apart, and check on those heatsink pads! ESPECIALLY if you have encountered any video or stability problems!

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Unhappy Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up on that one!
Now that the SSD activity light mod is out there this is someplace that I'll be visiting soon!

Do the pads come of and re-position without much mess or harm to the pad?

I know new ones can be had, but I'd like to avoid replacing them outright if possible.

(RE)EDIT

ALSO: I'll be removing those printed labels from that metal heat sink plate as well.
Every single one is acting as a thermal insulator.
It may help cooling if the plate is as free to radiate as much heat away as possible.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
Thanks for the heads up on that one!
Now that the SSD activity light mod is out there this is someplace that I'll be visiting soon!

Do the pads come of and re-position without much mess or harm to the pad?

I know new ones can be had, but I'd like to avoid replacing them outright if possible.

EDIT

ALSO: I'd remove any labels from that metal heat sink plate.
Every single one is acting as an insulator.
You might want to consider the possibility that the stickers are placed where they are specifically because they DO act as insulators (electrical shorting of components). Be real careful about pulling coverings off a large metal plate inside a small computer - do a thorough inspection so you know what it might be contacting first

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM

The thermal pads are not there to prevent shorting. And yes, they pull up very easy. Maybe because they are so new still, I've only had my Mini9 a month now.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
The thermal pads are not there to prevent shorting. And yes, they pull up very easy. Maybe because they are so new still, I've only had my Mini9 a month now.
Cool. Thanks!

As far as those printed labels go, they are most decidely NOT there for electrical reasons, but merely to identify parts and assemblies.

(#6) Old

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Cool. Thanks!

As far as those printed labels go, they are most decidely NOT there for electrical reasons, but merely to identify parts and assemblies.
Well like I said, consider it. And you did. I wasn't talking about the thermal pads, I was talking about the printed labels. You never know and you shouldn't leap without thinking. I'd hate for someone to change something without considering the possibility that they might screw something up. That was my only point. People sure do LOVE jumping to conclusions around here. Just like any other forum I guess. :roll:

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM

I'm going to re-word my statement to say "I will be removing" and make other clarifications.
That way it doesn't read as advice.

No conclusions jumped, merely letting you know they aren't electrical in nature.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM

leave the stickers, their insulative properties are negligible; they're not hurting anything.

even if they were appreciable insulation, from a thermal standpoint, removing them would be a wash. insulation on the underside of the heat sink (obviously not on the points where it contacts the parts to be cooled) can assist in channeling the heat away from the processor and chipsets and to keyboard where it is designed to be radiated. no insulation on the underside of the heat sink would help to stabilize the temperature inside the case at the slight expense of being less efficient in radiating heat from the processor and chipsets out of, rather than around, the laptop.

but really, it's going to make 0% difference either way
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-11-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
leave the stickers, their insulative properties are negligible; they're not hurting anything.

even if they were appreciable insulation, from a thermal standpoint, removing them would be a wash. insulation on the underside of the heat sink (obviously not on the points where it contacts the parts to be cooled) can assist in channeling the heat away from the processor and chipsets and to keyboard where it is designed to be radiated. no insulation on the underside of the heat sink would help to stabilize the temperature inside the case at the slight expense of being less efficient in radiating heat from the processor and chipsets out of, rather than around, the laptop.

but really, it's going to make 0% difference either way
I definitely see where you're coming from there. Sure it's not worth the .0001%? :lol:
If nothing else I cannot be accused of lack of enthusiasm.

(#10) Old

Default Re: Heatsink problem found while deep inside my Mini9 - 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Are the fitments tight enough to use thermal paste? I don't want to get into an argument about if it is worth it. I am just curious as frequent disassembly would lead to those pads wearing. I haven't taken mine apart yet, so I would love the clarification. Thanks for the info.