Windows 8 Discussion on the new Windows 8 and operating it on the Dell Mini series

(#21) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Do I detect a change of opinion? :-
only idiots never change their mind
  (#22) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Just got new duo for the purpose of testing win8. installed everything aok except: no bluetooth and haven't yet figured out how to get it to work. i got accelerometer to install by using win7 compatibility under properties and it installed fine and even shows on device manager but getting error message that it needs to be enabled and haven't yet figured out how to do it.
installed latest bios update and function keys (volume, wifi on/off, etc.) are working fine.

later will test dock.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

PS: Windows Mobility Center also has new rotation sensor on/off setting though even with it on i haven't yet had it work ...
  (#23) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 10:44 PM

unfortunately i don't know how but i succeeded in installing and activating bluetooth.
I connected and tested my Bluetooth headset.

Still working on activating the accelero-meter, i didn't find any différences in the registry between Windows 7 and 8 concerning the sensor.

I will update id i find a solution.

For the Bluetooth i know i activated the Bluetooth service in the services.
But if that was enough ??
  (#24) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:13 PM

How well does the Duo zoom in and out on Win 8? The horrible zoom in and out in win 7 was one of the reasons I returned mine. I may be persuaded to give it another try if the zoom is better in Win 8. I agree with another poster that this makes an appealing reason to buy a Duo.

Last edited by Tech_Addiction; 09-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.
  (#25) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Addiction View Post
How well does the Duo zoom in and out on Win 8? The horrible zoom in and out in win 7 was one of the reasons I returned mine. I may be persuaded to give it another try if the zoom is better in Win 8. I agree with another poster that this makes an appealing reason to buy a Duo.
The duo zoomed perfectly in Windows 7, you just need to use the opera mobile for Windows 7 browser. all other browser render like Sh*t.

Now IE-10 delivered with Windows 8 also zoomes perfectly smooth.
However Chrome and Firefox are as bad as Under win-7

So the problem is not with windows, nor with the duo hardware, but just bad programming .....
  (#26) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedje View Post
The duo zoomed perfectly in Windows 7, you just need to use the opera mobile for Windows 7 browser. all other browser render like Sh*t.

Now IE-10 delivered with Windows 8 also zoomes perfectly smooth.
However Chrome and Firefox are as bad as Under win-7

So the problem is not with windows, nor with the duo hardware, but just bad programming .....
I only used the default browser and would have thought it would have been an optimized experience so no I did not try other browsers. I have tried Win 8 on my Viliv N5 but with the horrible touch screen and no multi touch I have no way of test driving win 8 legitimately. I can get a new Duo shipped for $499. 99 right now so I'm debating. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I was also a little turned off by the viewing angle but that would be tolerable if the zoom works smooth.
  (#27) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:36 PM

I can confirm that the zoom is perfect, and that despite the early build it is a real functional system. I agree that the viewing angles are not very good, but that is the case with many tablets from duo's generation. I guess manufacturers never understood why ppl preferred the ipad..... It is only now that other brands have tablets with proper viewing angles.

Another big plus is the fact that the system boots in less then 10 seconds.
Although i upgraded to a ssd, i suppose the boot time using the original hdd
will be just as spectacularly low

Last edited by friedje; 09-16-2011 at 11:38 PM.
  (#28) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that the zoom is perfect, and that despite the early build it is a real functional system. I agree that the viewing angles are not very good, but that is the case with many tablets from duo's generation. I guess manufacturers never understood why ppl preferred the ipad..... It is only now that other brands have tablets with proper viewing angles.
Since I have your attention, how do you get to the win 8 equivalent of the start menu? Things like the Calculator and recent Apps list when using the desktop application seem to be buried. I'm sure if I had a suitable device to test it out I might be able to find it on my own. Trying to get the side menu's to work on my N5 is definitely hit or miss.

Speaking of which, how does the Duo handle the Metro UI? Is it smooth scrolling like the series 7 Dev slate? How easy are the side menu's to open? Thanks again.

Last edited by Tech_Addiction; 09-16-2011 at 11:53 PM.
  (#29) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 11:50 PM

it is a bit hidden.
you slide the right side to the left to open the panel
then you click on the search magnifying glass
then choose ' apps' and all installed apps arrive

The metro ui is very smooth and the side menus open without any hitch.

Last edited by friedje; 09-17-2011 at 12:10 AM.
  (#30) Old

Default 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
it is a bit hidden.
you slide the right side to the left to open the panel
then you click on the search magnifying glass
then choose ' apps' and all installed apps arrive

The metro ui is very smooth and the side menus open without any hitch.
Sweet, I think I'm sold. I like the fact that the Duo has a keyboard considering the capabilities of Win 8. I have two Android tablets but have been dying for a Windows convertible that has a good touch experience. My Windows Home Server 2011 web interface requires an IE browser and a lot of sites use silverlite. How well would my C300 real SSD work in the Duo? It's in my Dell M1330 right now but would probably speed the Duo up and increase the battery life I'm sure.