Windows 8 Discussion on the new Windows 8 and operating it on the Dell Mini series

(#11) Old

Default 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostimno View Post
I have a somewhat suspect SSD that I'm going to use to test on W8 on my duo. I'd like to partition it in advance and throw the drivers on it, which leads me to a few questions. If anyone has the answers, I would greatly appreciate it.
1. How big is the Windows 8 footprint after installed?
2. I remember using the 32-bit version of W7 for the duo before, and seem to think there was a reason. I don't remember the reason and have seen mention of the 64-bit version of W8 on the duo. I was going to stick with 32, but if someone could remind my why or why not, that would be swell also.
Thanks.
The 2GB limit on memory and the possible lack of compatible 64-bit drivers is the main reason, W7 64 has traditionally alway required 4GB of memory to run properly!
  (#12) Old

Default Window 8 32bit 10gig install - 09-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostimno View Post
I have a somewhat suspect SSD that I'm going to use to test on W8 on my duo. I'd like to partition it in advance and throw the drivers on it, which leads me to a few questions. If anyone has the answers, I would greatly appreciate it.
1. How big is the Windows 8 footprint after installed?
2. I remember using the 32-bit version of W7 for the duo before, and seem to think there was a reason. I don't remember the reason and have seen mention of the 64-bit version of W8 on the duo. I was going to stick with 32, but if someone could remind my why or why not, that would be swell also.
Thanks.
lostimno,

I installed the 32bit version on a 20gig partition and it used 10gig of space. Installed 32 bit as I was worried about driver issues, I have not yet had to install any drivers for things to work, audio, video, touch all work fine. I can manually rotate screen but it is not autorotating, and that is how I like it.

I have not played with the camera yet, in fact I have not used with the hardware keyboard either, touch works so well I forgot to even try. So far I am really enjoying Windows 8...I mostly use my Duo for quick web queries etc. and Windows 8 is handling that all just great.

Windows 8 boots lightninig fast even on a HDD, in and out of sleep is almost instant. No lock ups yet.

Flash is not working on ie10, there are some buggy issues in some minor areas. But for a developer release it looks great to me.

Good luck
  (#13) Old

Default First impressions - 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Very fast, smooth operation. I was not able to get to the previously mentioned drivers from Dell, so I have not tried to install the screen rotation or Crystal HD display drivers. The built-in split onscreen keyboard is very nice for thumb typing and comes up automatically if you are in the touch-friendly version of IE and click on a text box. I have had zero errors trying to type on it. The weather app is also nice, allowing for multiple city display as well as current city based on location tracking. It will show a 5 day forecast in full mode and 3 day in tiled mode. I was not as impressed with the Socialite app, as it only shows generic pictures on the tiled mode. The full mode is pretty nice, however. The Piano app is a fun little toy with two-tone (biphonic?) simultaneous functionality. I was unable to get the Labyrinth game to work properly.

I really wish they'd just introduce the Metro overlay as a free add-on for Windows 7, and that alone would go far in optimizing the Duo's full capabilities.

Tip: I discovered quite by accident that dragging to the left from the ride side of the screen reveals a helpful sidebar with common functions (including sleep/restart/shut down)

Last edited by elnehi; 09-15-2011 at 05:49 PM.
  (#14) Old

Default 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be able to be installed ONTO a USB drive? Doesn't seem to be the case with the preview - huge let down.

Anyone find a way NOT to use the Hard drive in the DUO?
  (#15) Old

Default 09-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Actually IE 10 is installed twice on the system.
Once in metro mode, and once in desktop mode.
Flash can be installed and works in the desktop version.
Microsoft disabled plug-in thé in the metro version.

The piano app isvpolyphonic but the dell touchscreen is multitouch
2 fingers at a time instead of 10

Finally the apps opened in metro stay open. You can only close them
Using a task killer. If you look on youtube there are a lot of hands on
Videos that can show you all tips and trics.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiegler View Post
Isn't Windows 8 supposed to be able to be installed ONTO a USB drive? Doesn't seem to be the case with the preview - huge let down.

Anyone find a way NOT to use the Hard drive in the DUO?
Most people actually install it in a virtual box. But then again installing in duoboot works just fine.
  (#16) Old

Default 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. 32-bit it is.
  (#17) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 04:06 PM

After 3 days of intensive testing, i think i won't even
go back to Windows 7. except for the Bluetooth not working,
this is a pleasure to use.

Last edited by friedje; 09-16-2011 at 05:30 PM.
  (#18) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM

I still cannot get the accelrometer to work...I can get the drivers to install...but when I tilt the duo, I get a message saying that the service has to be turned on and I went through line by line through the services and do not see this one to turn on...anyone else having this problem?
  (#19) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Normally the drivers also install an applet into the control panel.
Since this is not happening it's not possible to activate the sensor for now
  (#20) Old

Default 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedje View Post
After 3 days of intensive testing, i think i won't even
go back to Windows 7. except for the Bluetooth not working,
this is a pleasure to use.
Do I detect a change of opinion? :-

Quote:
for what i have seen so far on leaked screenshots and videos, don't expect too much.
Quote:
it's just more of the same old sh.. too me.
Quote:
My conclusion is also based on MsDos 3.00 to Win7 experience.
Except for the Win 3.1 to Win95 experience, Ms has never managed
to WOW me...