Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default trying maverick netbook edition - 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Hi all. I just wanted to put it out there that the new netbook edition of ubuntu is out and running. I have been messing around on it with a persistent live usb on my mini 9. This is the first time in a long time that the Broadcom wireless card has installed properly without the old bcmwl source trick.

The interface has also been completely redone and now uses unity. It is supposed to be more touch friendly but it also works great and brings the best of both worlds by giving you both a traditional desktop and then brings up the netbook interface for menus. Software center has been improving and now includes and area for paid apps. Maybe this will make it easier to obtain legal codec packs for those who need that or other software not of the free nature.

All in all it seems pretty stable even running from a live usb. I hope it brings a little more activity back to this part of the forum which was once one of the most active topics when I joined.
  (#2) Old

Default 10-13-2010, 10:28 PM

I just spent the better part of three hours trying to get the wireless to work on my mini9 but as proved by this post, it finally works.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 10-14-2010, 12:58 AM

I glanced at the LiveCD, but my 10.04 systems are running well, so I'm not eager to upgrade, yet.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 10-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Hibernate just disappeared from the menu. I was messing with the swap size and it just went away altogether. Otherwise, everything else appears to be working great.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

It's garbage.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM

I've been running Kubuntu 10.10 live.

Some things I noticed:
-KPackageKit is much improved; it's as good as the Ubuntu Software Center in the Gnome version now.
-KDE 4.5 seems a bit more responsive than previous versions
-A new web browser called Rekonq. It's a fast KDE browser based on webkit with built-in adblock and can share bookmarks with konqueror.
-Automatically uses the plasma-netbook interface by default on computers with low screen resolutions.
Personally, I prefer the normal plasma-desktop interface, but it seems ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgle View Post
Hibernate just disappeared from the menu. I was messing with the swap size and it just went away altogether. Otherwise, everything else appears to be working great.
Did you make swap smaller than your RAM?
Swap needs to be at least the size of your RAM to store the hibernation file.

Mini 10v/Slackware 13.37 RC π
  (#7) Old

Default 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM

I have also installed 10.10 desktop on my dell dimension desktop and am quite pleased with the performance so far. It was not a huge upgrade but it seems to be a little less quirky than 10.04 on my desktop was. I think the new kernel made a difference.

Tags
10.10, maverick, meerkat, netbook edition, ubuntu