General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Hello,

No matter how hard I try, I can't get leopard to install. Using the "slipstreamed MSI wind .iso" method, I get "failure to validate the essentials package" during the OSX install. Installer then quits. If I use the other method with the downloaded cd .iso and retail copy of Leopard, I can't fit the install on my 8gb ssd because when disk utility formats my ssd it somehow takes up over 2G's of space and I'm left with 5.8 gigs remaining, which is not enough to install the OS. Can someone help me please?

Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

You cannot install Leopard onto an 8gig drive. You MUST have a 16gb or better SSD.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM

One option for you is to install it to a usb harddrive then do a clean up and remove things to get your install down. I did this on mine even though I have an internal ssd that is 16gb. I did this not only to take out things I would not need but so I could install (carbon copy cloner) to another usb stick that is an 8gb supertalent pico.

My installation is now 5.5gb with my applications. You can find alot of useful information at [url] http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 63&st=320/ url] on how to get leo on your mini. I installed directly to a usb harddrive and booted off it then used carbon copy cloner to clone from my internal drive (16gb ssd) that was now 5.5gb to a usb stick.

Now upon booting it would not boot from the stick so I booted from the usb hardrive and installed chameleon from the mini9 132 EZ. iso found from the above linked pages. Just make sure you install chameleon to the specified drive that you intend it to be booting from.

Why did I go through all this hmmm well I have two good backups that work for sure and now I can try the real Ubuntu for the mini although, I really like mac on the mini and cannot believe how great it really works. However, no sleep and there seems to be a bug when shutting down on battery (doesn't poweroff sometimes) but i can live with that and thought now I can easily put it back after I try Ubuntu.

Now for someone to show us how to get Ubuntu and Xp on the mini as I also have a 1gb image of Xp that I made that is fast and already tweaked for limiting writes to the ssd.

Dell Mini 9 | 32GB SSD Runcore | 2GB RAM | 1.3 mp WebCam | OS X 10.6.2 | USB Wake Off | Legacy Support Off | Bluetooth Module On | A05 bios | NBI 0.8.3RC3 | Geekbench 2 Score 985 |  Mac Pro 2008 | 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Intel Xeon E5462 (Harpertown/Penryn) processors | 16GB 800 MHz DDR2 Ram | ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB GDDR3 | Geekbench 2 Score 12296 |  MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009) | 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 4GB 1066MHz | Geekbench 2 Score 3907 | http://tinyurl.com/y9gu2f7
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM

What's your memory situation (how much do you have and have you upgraded)?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,

To answer the questions... I have 2gb of memory installed in the mini, upgraded from stock 1 to 2.

It says on Uneasy Silence that you can install to an 8GB SSD, you just need to clean up afterwords. The USB Drive method sounds good, and I'll investigate that method if nothing else works.

But is there any reason why I'm getting the "essentials" verification error?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire235
Thanks for the replies guys,

To answer the questions... I have 2gb of memory installed in the mini, upgraded from stock 1 to 2.

It says on Uneasy Silence that you can install to an 8GB SSD, you just need to clean up afterwords. The USB Drive method sounds good, and I'll investigate that method if nothing else works.

But is there any reason why I'm getting the "essentials" verification error?
Try it with the stock 1GB stick only.

When you say 8GB SSD, do you mean SDHC?

SDHC cards are very slow, this would only be useful if you are just curious to see OS X on your MINI.
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM

SSD = Solid State Drive, the hard drive in your mini
SD or SDHC = Secure Digital, these are memory cards, and the SD slot doesn't work at all with OSX.

As for uneasysilence.. They're just some random blog that was out to get more pageviews, they did no research on what the Mini9 crowd had already been doing for 2 weeks before writing that article. The above link, to the forum at InsanelyMac is the original group of people who have been running OS X on the Mini9 since September 12th and have revised the install procedure about a dozen times in the month since then. The technique at Uneasysilence has been proven to be crap, for lack of a better word.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-15-2008, 06:01 AM

I am running OSX (macbook air) on my mini 9, 8GB SSD
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-15-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcck3d
I am running OSX (macbook air) on my mini 9, 8GB SSD
So how about answering the original poster's question and explaining how you did the impossible.

(#10) Old

Default Re: Failed install no matter what i do - 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM

bought it like this off of craigslist... only had 1Gb SSD space left. Sorry I didn't want to make a big long post if I was wrong
If you need the info, tell me where to look and I will post it...

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: Inspiron 910
Processor Name: Intel Core Solo
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 1
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 2.13 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA11.00BB.B03

Capacity: 7.15 GB
Model: STEC PATA 8GB
Revision: C5221-10
Serial Number: STM00001471E
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
Low Power Polling: No
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
hcck3d SSD:
Capacity: 7.15 GB
Available: 75.3 MB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s1
Mount Point: /

Would be willing to trade someone my 8GB SSD w/ OSX for 8GB SSD w/ XP Pro, so that way you guys can take a look at it... need pro for work