General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#111) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

so as of right now what is the best version of bootloader to be using on the 1012?

i see conflicting responses as to what is currently working and what is not. no media acceleration means that low quality videos such as youtube is out of the question? also, has anyone gotten sleep to work on the 1012?
  (#112) Old

Default 05-04-2010, 01:05 AM

Mine's not working too, so you're not alone

Still searching for a fix too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibs View Post
Am i the only one and gosha encountering a screenshot not working problem?

I can hear the camera sound when doing alt+shift+3 (or 4), but ive searched through the drive - no image created.

anybody have a fix for that? Is yours working?
---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

for the 1012 I still use .8.4pre

I've watched youtube and other streaming video using 1012 (just not in HD, High Quiality or full screen.)

Sleep not working for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinyoungn View Post
so as of right now what is the best version of bootloader to be using on the 1012?

i see conflicting responses as to what is currently working and what is not. no media acceleration means that low quality videos such as youtube is out of the question? also, has anyone gotten sleep to work on the 1012?

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#113) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi,

I installed 10.6 (retail upgrade DVD from my MBP) with "NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1" (from USB stick). Since I modified the plist file to use "arch=i386", it boots.

I run the update tool and installed 10.6.3.

Since then, I keep getting the 64bits error at boot.
I did boot the USB stick to force "arch=i386" on the disk install. It boots but it is sticked at some point I can understand : I have the SL wallpaper, and the cursor keeps switching between "normal" and "rainbow circle". Any idea ?

PS: during the upgrade process, it told me not everything was correctly installed :-/
  (#114) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM

is the error "can't patch 64bit ..." or something like that?

I haven't really tried .8.4RC1 with my 1012.what I can think of now is to boot from HDD and give the arch=i386 flag and if you successfully boot try to re-run NBI.

Is .8.4RC1 now ok with 1012?, I thought it was still broken for 1012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarnat View Post
Hi,

I installed 10.6 (retail upgrade DVD from my MBP) with "NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1" (from USB stick). Since I modified the plist file to use "arch=i386", it boots.

I run the update tool and installed 10.6.3.,
Since then, I keep getting the 64bits error at boot.
I did boot the USB stick to force "arch=i386" on the disk install. It boots but it is sticked at some point I can understand : I have the SL wallpaper, and the cursor keeps switching between "normal" and "rainbow circle". Any idea ?

PS: during the upgrade process, it told me not everything was correctly installed :-/

(#115) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM

The message is "Unable to patch 64bit kernel".

Another thing: if it hit the power button, the screen becomes "blue" then comes back to the SL wallpaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhycel View Post
is the error "can't patch 64bit ..." or something like that?

I haven't really tried .8.4RC1 with my 1012.what I can think of now is to boot from HDD and give the arch=i386 flag and if you successfully boot try to re-run NBI.

Is .8.4RC1 now ok with 1012?, I thought it was still broken for 1012.

Dell Inspiron 1012 | Windows XP + Mac OS X 10.6.3, NBI 0.8.4pre | 2 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | BIOS A04
  (#116) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM

you'll have to boot using the arch=i386

after booting edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist...

find:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

and add the flag to be like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

I think sleep is not yet working on the 1012.

(#117) Old

Default 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Yep, that worked for this inital 10.6 installation.

Then, since the 10.6.3 upgrade, I get the "white apple on grey screen", then the "cyan screen" (no blue screen on osx , then the SL wallpaper. Then the cursor keeps switching between normal and rainbow circle and the touchpad is irresponsive...

I'm gonna redo the whole installation to check - as I had errors while upgrading to 10.6.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhycel View Post
you'll have to boot using the arch=i386

after booting edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist...

find:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

and add the flag to be like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

I think sleep is not yet working on the 1012.

Dell Inspiron 1012 | Windows XP + Mac OS X 10.6.3, NBI 0.8.4pre | 2 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | BIOS A04
  (#118) Old

Thumbs up 05-06-2010, 01:36 AM

Yep guess that would be the best thing to do , maybe just use .8.4pre for your next install

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarnat View Post
Yep, that worked for this inital 10.6 installation.

Then, since the 10.6.3 upgrade, I get the "white apple on grey screen", then the "cyan screen" (no blue screen on osx , then the SL wallpaper. Then the cursor keeps switching between normal and rainbow circle and the touchpad is irresponsive...

I'm gonna redo the whole installation to check - as I had errors while upgrading to 10.6.3.
check - as I had errors while upgrading to 10.6.3.[/quote]

(#119) Old

Default 05-06-2010, 02:26 AM

jcarnat, rhycel,

Im now encountering this kernel panic problem - i used 8.4.pre. I encountered this similar prompt during SL installation, but my mini 1012 can still boot up. So i just edit the plist file after the boot, succeeding reboots are ok (with the expected stuffs like sound and wifi working ok).

But after 10.6.2 update, the kernel panic is the same as jcarnat encountered. But this time it just loops endlessly - not booting up to OSX. I can't understand how you guys say "input "arch=i386_64 during boot". How is that done literally? Because in my case, i can't see a way to interact while it's looping. Where and how can i input the arch string when booting? I mean, am i supposed to be prompted where i can type?

Also read jcarnat mentioned: "I did boot the USB stick to force "arch=i386" on the disk install". How is that done exactly?

Help please!

Last edited by Aibs; 05-06-2010 at 02:39 AM.
  (#120) Old

Default 05-06-2010, 03:42 AM

I remember 10.6.2 update also broke my 1012 install so I usually do a direct software updaate to 10.6.3 ( also using .8.4pre)

Now for your question, do you see the status bar timer? if so you can hit any key and the input the i386 kernel flag. It might help if you do a -v too to at least see what the error is.

This might be a long shot but you can try booting from the USB and run NBI on your harddisk. You might also want to check if you can edit your boot.plist from there to put the i386 flag.

I know theres also a thread here about 10.6.2 update issues, you can also give it a shot

If all else fails, you might have to redo the whole installl and then use software update to install the 10.6.3 Combo and not the 10.6.2 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibs View Post
jcarnat, rhycel,

Im now encountering this kernel panic problem - i used 8.4.pre. I encountered this similar prompt during SL installation, but my mini 1012 can still boot up. So i just edit the plist file after the boot, succeeding reboots are ok (with the expected stuffs like sound and wifi working ok).

But after 10.6.2 update, the kernel panic is the same as jcarnat encountered. But this time it just loops endlessly - not booting up to OSX. I can't understand how you guys say "input "arch=i386_64 during boot". How is that done literally? Because in my case, i can't see a way to interact while it's looping. Where and how can i input the arch string when booting? I mean, am i supposed to be prompted where i can type?

Also read jcarnat mentioned: "I did boot the USB stick to force "arch=i386" on the disk install". How is that done exactly?

Help please!