Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 Audio with Microphone without VoodooHDA (Snow 10.6.2 - 10.6.6) - 12-25-2009, 03:31 AM

I have been holding for Meklort to update the audio kext's for functioning microphone input. Unfortunately,with the Netbook Installer 0.8.3 RC5, the built in mike still not functioning on Dell Mini 9. However, I did come across a thread by flames on insanelymac.com that provides a kext that does make this work.

ALC268 legacy kext for /Extra/Extensions 32 & 64 bit - InsanelyMac Forum

Following these steps, I ended up with working audio:

1- Backup the dsdt.aml from 0.8.3 RC5. (in /Extra folder)
2- Decompile it using iASLMe
3- Edit the decompiled file (dsdt.dsl) with TextWrangler and insert both blocks of code from flames.
4- Recompile using iASLMe
5- Backup existing dsdt.aml, and replace it with recompiled version. (in /Extra)
6- Backup and remove AppleHDA.kext from /Extra/A90Ext/
7- Place the original *unmodified* AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/A90Ext/ (usually in backup folders left by NetbookInstaller in /Extra.bak or in /System/Library/BackupExtensions)
8- Place the ALC268.kext from flames in /Extra/A90Ext/
9- Run /Extra/UpdateExtra
10- Wait till it completes.
11- Reboot and enjoy both microphone and functioning audio.

EDIT: Built-in microphone, as well as external microphone plug, and built-in audio, as well as external headphone plug all work. External audio devices properly turn off the internal microphone or audio. Quality is as good as it should be. And there are no sleep issues.

EDIT (for 10.6.3): This modification also works with the 10.6.3. Here are the instructions if you already had done this modification with 10.6.2:

EDIT (for 10.6.4): The following also works for 10.6.4. Install, boot with recovery=y typed at bottom of screen, after holding shift at boot, install meklort's latest.

2-1 Backup AppleHDA.kext and ALC268.kext from /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext.
2-2 Backup DSDT.aml from /Extra
2-3 Download and install 10.6.3 (I used the Combo updater). DO NOT RESTART.
2-4 Download and install NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 from meklort.com. Default settings.
2-5 Backup meklort's older AppleHDA.kext from /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext.
2-6 Replace meklort's older AppleHDA.kext in /Extra/A90Ext, or /Extra/Mini9Ext with the one from step 2-1, and also put ALC268.kext in the same folder. No need to worry about the DSDT.aml, as meklort's installer does not seem to modify that.
2-7 Run /Extra/UpdateExtra. Wait until it completes (takes a very long time)
2-8 Restart and enjoy sound and microphone.

If you had not done this before and you are still on 10.6.2, then;

3-1 See if you have 10.6.2's VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4, size 7,169,450) usually in backup folders left by NetbookInstaller in /Extra.bak or in /System/Library/BackupExtensions. Save it if you do.
3-2 Upgrade to 10.6.3 following steps (2-3) to (2-5) immediately above. You can restart after.
3-3 If you did not find the VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext from step (3-1), then obtain 10.6.2's VIRGIN AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4, size 7,169,450) [Note that 10.6.3's version 1.8.4fc3 will NOT work.]
3-4 Follow instructions at the top (1 through 11) to install AppleHDA.kext (version 1.7.9a4), ALC268.kext, and DSDT.aml modifications. You can also follow more detailed instructions in later postings that provide better detail.
3-5 Enjoy sound and microphone.

EDIT: Works with 10.6.5.
EDIT: Works with 10.6.6 (Jan 8, 2010)
  (#2) Old

Default 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Does it solve scratchy noise?
  (#3) Old

Default 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyronnx View Post
Does it solve scratchy noise?
Sure does.
  (#4) Old

Default 12-27-2009, 02:50 PM

ive tried this and failed, currently my mini9 wont boot up anymore, due to failing of the updateExtra app

hope i can recover without reinstalling the whole netbook.
  (#5) Old

Default 12-27-2009, 08:44 PM

It worked beautifully for me in the end. Just a couple of issues:

iASLME wouldn't compile/decompile using the drag/drop interface and i couldn't open my files through the menu. I had to select the file in finder and choose iASLME from the open with menu.

Also, the first time i compiled I got a bunch of errors. I must have done something wrong because the second time, it worked just fine. Do spaces and/or carriage returns make a difference in the compiling? I wouldn't think so but that's all I think I changed the second time. Maybe I just screwed up the first time.

Thanks so much to bikinifarms and flames. This meant I could video chat with audio this Christmas with my family.

-Toan
  (#6) Old

Default 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillypants View Post
It worked beautifully for me in the end. Just a couple of issues:
Do spaces and/or carriage returns make a difference in the compiling?

Thanks so much to bikinifarms and flames. This meant I could video chat with audio this Christmas with my family.

-Toan
I noticed the same problem, and I think when you copy the dsdt code from the code box in flames' post, it captures a bunch of invisible characters. When I pasted it into my own dsdt, I had compile errors, until I removed all the leading spaces, and spaces in a few other places. Looking at the error line, and matching it to the line numbers in TextWrangler helps to clean it up. Once it compiles, it is good to go... I am attaching the two dsdt blocks for (hopefully) error free copy and paste.

Happy that this did help people. Happy holidays...

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x04)
{
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
{
DCKA, 1,
Offset (0x01),
DCKM, 1,
, 6,
DCKS, 1,
Offset (0x08),
, 15,
PMES, 1
}
}

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
{
/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
}))
{
If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
{
Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
}, Arg4)
Return (One)
}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
{
Return (One)
}
}
}

Store (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}, Arg4)
Return (Zero)
}

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisefire View Post
ive tried this and failed, currently my mini9 wont boot up anymore, due to failing of the updateExtra app

hope i can recover without reinstalling the whole netbook.
Try booting with safe boot, and run UpdateExtra. May work.
  (#7) Old

Default 12-28-2009, 01:18 AM

I can confirm this works fine

I had an issue with compiling due to textwrangler as well due to the ASCII type. In the end I just switched to TextMate and it all worked and compiled.
  (#8) Old

Default 12-28-2009, 03:25 AM

omgz, if this is confirmed to fully work (audio in, audio out, speakers, internal mic) without the static/popping we'd have fully functional DM9 for 10.6.

Maybe Meklort can get test this out and swap it into RC5 too.

Edit: ah crap, .8.3 released, .8.4 RC1 then =P
  (#9) Old

Default 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfLappy View Post
Maybe Meklort can get test this out and swap it into RC5 too.

Edit: ah crap, .8.3 released, .8.4 RC1 then =P
I had left a message to meklort the day before he released .3, but this fix did not make the cut. Oh well.
  (#10) Old

Default 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Hello
I tried it but It did not work for me. the sound is gone with mic.

my dsdt file dose not contain "AZAL"?

can any one please explain a little more . like how many AZAL is there .

thanks

update*

my OS is MAC OSX 10.6.1

Tags
audio microphone snow