General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Love the free long distance. Have both my home & cell ring so no more trying to reach me at home, hang up, dial cell phone.

Someone gave me an invite but I had already signed up. Took 5 days to receive it. No invites yet to share.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#22) Old

Default 10-25-2009, 05:30 PM

I have one invite to give away. First PM to me with an email address gets it.
  (#23) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 10-30-2009, 02:15 PM

I've got 3 invites also. PM me with your email address, especially if you have a Google Wave invite

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#24) Old

Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
I've got 3 invites also. PM me with your email address, especially if you have a Google Wave invite
I have a wave invite if you need it. PM me

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#25) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 11:39 PM

I'm looking forward to trying this when they extend outside the US

I think that we're not far off a paradigm shift with phone systems, and things like this are definitely paving the way. Sometime in the not so distant future, we will/should have another international/global code, which will switch to a network that contacts a person rather than a location.

At the moment, even the GV phone number you select/choose is location based (area code) (number)... That is fine for the 1950s, but people don't sit in the same location like that anymore. Cellphones started something big, and in most countries have phone numbers that are countrywide, the area code switches to the mobile network, not to a specific exchange. To be honest, the US mobile system boggles the mind, still tying phone numbers to a state, and looking for all intents and purposes exactly like a landline in that state.

Google Voice is definitely going to push the next step into public awareness... Having a number for a person, and allowing that person to decide what devices that number is available to.

After this is realised globally, all that needs to happen is the ability to feed a 'person identifier' into a 'phone device' to place a call. An email address is probably a great start? ++1 - someone @ somewhere.com? Maybe...

Ah well, I guess I'm dreaming, but the main thing standing in the way? Telephone carriers. Can you imagine how much they'd hate losing all that international price-gouging?

Well, didn't mean for that to turn into such a long winded post...

Cheers
Max

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')
  (#26) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidMax View Post
I'm looking forward to trying this when they extend outside the US
I think I might have missed something there... are you saying that at the present time Google Voice can only be used within the U.S. even though, (in theory anyway), it appears to be generally available?

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#27) Old
Administrator

Default 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM

Google Voice is not a VoIP application. It uses a regular telephone call to access (either you call it or it calls you.) You get a new number and these are available in the US only, but GV members can make international calls for a fee. I have read that Google would like to expand service to outside the US. Google Voice is still invite-only, and you must have a US phone number to sign up.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#28) Old

Default 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM

I've got a couple of invites, PM me. Looking for a Wave invite too.
  (#29) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I now have three invites. PM me with your email address.
How long did it take for them to show up?

I was given one after I already signed up and it took 5 days to get it. Not too terribly long.

https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#30) Old
Administrator

Default 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM

I've been on GV for a couple of months now, the invites just showed up a few days ago. So far, nobody has asked me for one.

Edit: All three are now taken.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10