General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#141) Old

Default 08-15-2009, 08:18 AM

will ever be release a version of netbookinstaller for 10.6? if yes, when?

Dell Mini 9 Black with Bluetooth and Webcam - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM
  (#142) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 08-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes there will be. I'll be sometime before or close to when 10.6 is released.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#143) Old

Default 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM

OK...so I decided to go back to 10.5.7 from 10.5.8 on my dellmini9. I followed the instructions using netbook installer, install went fine, went to restart after installing, and I am getting an operating system not found after the dell logo page. I never get the grey chameleon bootloader screen (which I had prior).

I get:

For Realtek ethernet controller
media test failure, check cable
exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found

Is there anyway I can continue on with the os x install? I've got an XP restore disc, can I put that on a zip drive and repair it?

Not sure how or why this happened. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
kevin
  (#144) Old

Default 08-16-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass View Post
OK...so I decided to go back to 10.5.7 from 10.5.8 on my dellmini9. I followed the instructions using netbook installer, install went fine, went to restart after installing, and I am getting an operating system not found after the dell logo page. I never get the grey chameleon bootloader screen (which I had prior).

I get:

For Realtek ethernet controller
media test failure, check cable
exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found

Is there anyway I can continue on with the os x install? I've got an XP restore disc, can I put that on a zip drive and repair it?

Not sure how or why this happened. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
kevin
This happens once in a while for me as well, and it usually goes away if I shut down the computer, remove the battery, pop it back in, and start it up. Also check if your SSD is connected properly (I got this error when I didn't seat the SSD properly during a hasty swap).

Sold my Mini 9 for a larger netbook, one that's easier on my wrists and hands.
Current Machine: 2010 MacBook Pro 13", 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro x64/OS X 10.6.3

And I play with my girlfriend's Mini 10v ^_^.

Interested in using MATLAB on the Mini 10v? Check out my benchmarks!
  (#145) Old

Default Feedback Netbookestaller 0.8.2 RC3 - 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM

I have some troubles with the latest version (and the one before) on a Mini9.

I used the combo update to get from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8. 10.5.7. worked perfectly with DellEFI and the manual trackpad addition.

After the upgrade I ran the latest (RC3) of Netbookestaller. The result is a mini9 stuck in the boot process (never seems to finish - I let it run approx. 30 minutes before I turned the machine off).

Fortunately I use a Runcore so I connected it to another Mini9 that runs already on 10.5.8 but without Ethernet since Netbookestaller detected this machine as "generic".

However I copied the Extra folder to the Runcore, put it back and the mini9 booted again.

I made some more tests - installing the mini9 extensions with Netbookestaller always causes this effect.

Removing the Extras folder and using DellEFI to install the extensions works fine (but the new prefpane for the trackpad does not operate).

Any suggestions what else I may try?

---
Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SSD, 0.3 MP camera, BT, Dell 1505 802.11n card, Dell 5530 3G card, 3M Vikuiti ARMP200 Anti-Reflection-Film, OS X 10.6.4
  (#146) Old

Default 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Now that yet another solution to the 10.5.8 problems has been found, should we not install the RC3 release? (I saw that they want us to restore the stock files to do this, and I wasn't sure if they are deleted or not in Notebookinstaller .82 RC3, or if the next version would restore them anyway.)

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ssue-here.html
  (#147) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdmoore View Post
Now that yet another solution to the 10.5.8 problems has been found, should we not install the RC3 release? (I saw that they want us to restore the stock files to do this, and I wasn't sure if they are deleted or not in Notebookinstaller .82 RC3, or if the next version would restore them anyway.)

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ssue-here.html
Hopefully the next version of NetbookInstaller will implement these Vanilla methods for fixing sound and battery issues on the 10v. There has been a lot of progress in making everything fully Vanilla and it is very exciting. It looks like speed stepping on the N270 may be possible without Voodoo kexts as well

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#148) Old

Default 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Does the same apply if you have a Dell 9? (I just don't want to have to reinstall everything from scratch again.)
  (#149) Old

Default 08-18-2009, 02:08 AM

I tried the RC 3 installer, and noticed the following.

First time I tried to install it kept both the V17 trackpad and the one included with RC 3. When I used the V17 uninstaller, the computer stuck on the white apple loading screen. No way to recover, I had to go back and use time machine to restore.

The next time I used the V17 uninstaller before I loaded 10.5.8 or the Netbook installer, and that part worked much better, only the one trackpad showed.

Other issues:

Battery Indicator/Power settings are not fixed, as noted above.

Bluetooth Terminal Mod (for the on/off function) was not installed automatically (the fix bluetooth was checked during install.) For some reason I was unable to apply the fix manually as well, even thought I used it on 10.5.6 and 10.5.7.

I followed all the instructions but it did freeze the first time (I think because I was on battery power vs plugged in.) I redid it with the power applied, this time it rebooted fine, but did not work. I checked and modified the files and deleted the mkext as noted in the thread multiple times, but it didn't restore the on/off for bluetooth.

Not sure what is going on, the computer acted like it was making the changes, I can go in afterwards and see that the changes that I wrote in the terminal to the plist "stuck" but I guess they did nothing.

It is possible I goofed something up doing the manual fix, weird that it will work before and not now. I guess the important part is that the terminal mod did not automatically install as part of the Netbook installer in the first place.

Going to restore to 10.5.7 again (did it twice already today, takes forever) and wait for someone who understands this stuff better to iron out the issues and bundle it into an installer.
  (#150) Old

Default 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Saw the thread about the upcoming release of .82 version, I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for getting this working with the latest Leopard updates. I guess the next item will be Snow Leopard support once it is released next month (or rumors of the end of this month.)