Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#21) Old

Default Running Quite Hot Broadcom BCM43xx card - 06-05-2009, 07:08 PM

I've put a 802.11n card I bought from a ebay seller in Hong Kong (mine says Wireless Card Locale: Worldwide) and I can confirm that my Mini 9 gets very hot compared to the OEM card. It is actually getting so hot I wouldn't want to put it on my lap. I never noticed this with the OEM card and am considering putting it back (although I do love the speed increase on my 802.11n network at home). If anyone has any success with other cards and have less heat output, please let me know. I picked this card up for $20 so I'm not too upset if I had to get another.

Here's the info on the card reported by OS X

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Wireless Card Locale: Worldwide
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.35)
  (#22) Old

Default 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMac View Post
Does the Dell 1505 card work under OS-X (and is it plug-and-play), or is the Airport Extreme card the only one supported under OS-X? I've read 4 or 5 threads on the 802.11N upgrade and I am a little confused as to which cards work under which OS...

Yes it works without problems. Since I did not want to use fake Apple cards from China I ordered some 1505 from the US. They produce more heat than the b/g card, but less heat than the fake Apple cards.

---
Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SSD, 0.3 MP camera, BT, Dell 1505 802.11n card, Dell 5530 3G card, 3M Vikuiti ARMP200 Anti-Reflection-Film, OS X 10.6.4