Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default XFCE: It's faster! - 05-10-2009, 04:08 AM

So I get bored with my desktop and continually download/un-download different things just to test them. And I was getting tired of GNOME ... so I tried to download KDE 4. But it was large [I have a 4 gigabyte SSD with programs - even with netbook remix's being smaller than the normal ubuntu]. So I decided to try XFCE. The full download was only 74 megabytes! [So I have over 100 megabytes still for random files.]
Booting in, I noticed that it seemed ... a bit ... snappier. And I like that XFCE has four desktops.
A screenshot so you know how it looks before you jump in:
[attachment=0:3afc5srj]XFCEnetbookremix.png[/attachment:3afc5srj]
I haven't tried the normal desktop, but you know ... this is fine. I can only really give my impressions, but it feels a bit faster. I haven't tried changing the theme yet.
*edit*
Installed DarkRoom and edited the font size to be smaller, and everything seems to work pretty much as it did in GNOME.
*edit 2*
The task manager [bar at top] keeps losing priority and breaking for some reason. Right now the two flicker between each other, changing when I mouse over them. It's not install-breaking, but it is irritating. I'm trying to fix it now.
*edit 3*
To problem above, just kill gnome_toolbar [:P], and it works fine. Also, I was able to use the Human_netbook theme ... somehow.
As for function keys: Brightness works, sound doesn't [which may actually be a sticking point, but I'm sure I can fix it].
I dunno. I'm liking it - the icons are a bit more kiddish, but hey, I can actually access Synaptic nowwithout switching to the normal desktop!
[Also: switching to the normal desktop is a bit wonky. It does work, though. I'd recommend not doing it just because the netbook theme is better! :P]
Attached Images
File Type: png XFCEnetbookremix.png (268.2 KB, 153 views)

Received lowest quality mini 9 with 512 megs RAM, 4 GB SSD. Additions:
-2 GB RAM
-4 GB SSD [2 GB SD Card: getting 16 GB SDHC]
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
[Extra screen space IS AMAZING, as is having a working keyboard]
  (#2) Old

Default Re: XFCE: It's faster! - 05-11-2009, 02:10 AM

I didn't know that XFCE had a netbook remix style interface. Did you compare it to the 9.04 gnome? I noticed 9.04 is snappier accross the board.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: XFCE: It's faster! - 05-11-2009, 02:13 AM

Xfce can be fast, but Xubuntu is a pig:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 27#feature

Check out Debian Xfce or Sidux Xfce if you want speed...
  (#4) Old

Default Re: XFCE: It's faster! - 05-11-2009, 03:16 AM

This IS 9.04 netbook remix: I just installed XFCE's window manager and then logged out and in.
This part: "It turned to be a simple fix, the mixer didn't present any controls by default, I had to manually add them. Once I selected Master, PCM and Front, un-muted them and turned them all up, sound worked. Yay." is true. I had to download alsa GNOME to make it work.
It feels snappier - note that this is on the 4 gig SSD and upgrading from 9.04's netbook remix, and is entirely subjective - I don't have any benchmarks [though if there are a couple small ones I'll run them to test].

-2 GB RAM
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: XFCE: It's faster! - 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM

A quick thought - I switched again, to LXDE. It's ... even better! No desktop effects, but I had them turned off anyways, and it boots to usable almost instentaneously after it loads [unlike xubuntu/ubuntu's hanging for a couple seconds]. Also switched my networkmanager to wicd.
One plus with LXDE - the sound manager works better. Function keys for sound still don't work, but they probably will with a reset or ... something.

-2 GB RAM
  (#6) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 08:44 AM

I'd love to see some benchmarks and overall size of the installation. I have the same small 4gb ssd and haven't upgraded the ram, I'm still at 512. We only use this for online stuff and I'd love to save as much space as possible. I'm also having a lot of trouble with firefox getting way too slow. Eye candy isn't necessary, but ease of use is a must. My 3 yr old loves the games in jaunty.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenji View Post
I'd love to see some benchmarks and overall size of the installation. I have the same small 4gb ssd and haven't upgraded the ram, I'm still at 512. We only use this for online stuff and I'd love to save as much space as possible. I'm also having a lot of trouble with firefox getting way too slow. Eye candy isn't necessary, but ease of use is a must. My 3 yr old loves the games in jaunty.
I personally would probably choose CrunchBang if I only had 4gb/512mb. CrunchBang Jaunty will probably be released in the next week or two.
  (#8) Old

Send a message via MSN to anjilslaire Send a message via Yahoo to anjilslaire
Default 05-27-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam111111 View Post
I dunno. I'm liking it - the icons are a bit more kiddish, but hey, I can actually access Synaptic nowwithout switching to the normal desktop!
I use UNR 9.04 and access Synaptic easily through the netbook interface. In fact, I have it added into the Favorites section. I never switch to the classic desktop.

Mini 9 Red|2 gigs ram|32gig SSD|Intel 3945 a/b/g|Ubuntu 10.10 UNE
Need more useless stuff to read on teh internetz?
http://anjilslaire.wordpress.com/
  (#9) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to kajdna
Default 05-31-2009, 12:05 AM

I just ordered 10v with Ubuntu 8.04. Does this version have Synaptic Manager and can I simply download and install XFCE? What happens to Gnome?

Binary code is as easy as:
1, 10, 11
". . .To me the meanest flower that blows can give/Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears." Wordsworth, from "Ode: intimations . ."
  (#10) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajdna View Post

I just ordered 10v with Ubuntu 8.04. Does this version have Synaptic Manager and can I simply download and install XFCE? What happens to Gnome?
Yes, yes, and Gnome will co-exist side by side with Xfce. You can choose between a Gnome or an Xfce session each time you log in.