Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu 8.10 headphone jack sense - 01-28-2009, 03:55 AM

I was listening to music with my headphones when I realised, a bit late, that the music I was listening to was also being played throughout the integrated speakers.

I use Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) in a different machine too, with [apparently] the same sound card (HDA Intel), and there is an option in the sound mixer to enable "jack sense", so when a headphone is plugged, the speakers are muted. This is not an option in my install of Ubuntu 8.10 in the Dell Mini 9.

Does anyone have the same problem? Has anyone managed to solve it? I have searched in these forums, in Ubuntu forums, Ubuntu Wiki and Launchpad with no success...

Thank you very much!!!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.10 headphone jack sense - 01-28-2009, 04:03 AM

Oh, I feel stupid now.

I have just retried it and I can't hear anything from the speakers when the headphones are plugged. I still don't understand what happened before... I hope the jack was well connected, otherwise I deserve an idiot medal or similar...

Anyway, I'll still look at that issue, and update the thread if I find anything.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.10 headphone jack sense - 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM

This happened to me also. It was in a computer lab and I did not realize it for about ten minutes, quite embarrassing.

I think what happened is that I restarted the mini with the headphones still plugged in and then Ubuntu used both the speakers and the headphone jack.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.10 headphone jack sense - 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM

This has happenned to me in both the standard 8.04 dell release and the newer 8.10 - you're not going mad, it is definitely a bug!

--
dell mini uk black/1gb ram/8gb ssd/16gb hcsd/ubuntu
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu 8.10 headphone jack sense - 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Not really a bug.

When I first got my dm9, took it to work as you do to show it off. Thought I'd list to some music, headphone plugged in etc. Still got sound through the speakers.

I did then install Ibex, at first, plugin in the head phones killed the speaker sound. Great I thought, then, I lost sound in the right channel of the head phones, tried a different set still the same. Then I noticed that if you only partly pushed in the jack sound returned to the right channel. Thinking this was faulty hardware I restored the dm9 back to factory defaults.

Guess what, sound working properly with du8.04, well apart from still having the sound from the speakers while the head phones are plugged in. I thought I could live with that by just turning down the speaker volume in the sound applet but for some strange reason, speaker volume gets reset to maxium on rebooting, not good, now that's a bug. I have found though that you can mute the speakers in the applet and that setting is remember on reboots so not all bad.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Bump.

This issues still appears in 9.04.
When I have the headphones plugged in on startup the sound comes out of both the headphones and speakers. To date I have just unplugged and replugged the headphones and this works but I don't want to keep doing that so I guess I will just end up muting the mini 9 speakers.
This behavior seems like a bug.
J.

Mini9 - Black - 2GB RAM - 4GB STEC HD
OS - Ubuntu 9.04
  (#7) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybirdman View Post
Bump.

This issues still appears in 9.04.
When I have the headphones plugged in on startup the sound comes out of both the headphones and speakers. To date I have just unplugged and replugged the headphones and this works but I don't want to keep doing that so I guess I will just end up muting the mini 9 speakers.
This behavior seems like a bug.
J.
I just found this bug in Launchpad. You can comment on it and subscribe for changes.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+bug/323859
  (#8) Old

Default 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo View Post
I just found this bug in Launchpad. You can comment on it and subscribe for changes.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+bug/323859
thanks for the notice on the bug report. I looked for one but didn't find it before.

Mini9 - Black - 2GB RAM - 4GB STEC HD
OS - Ubuntu 9.04