General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 04:54 AM

Got the 1505 from ebay tonight, installed in seconds, turned the machine on and it auto-detected and connected right away at 270 Mbit/s! I find that N gives me much better speed and coverage in my house throughout the entire house.

From my understanding there is no difference between N and draft N, I think everything is still draft N technically, but I'm not certain of that.
  (#12) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrain73 View Post
Got the 1505 from ebay tonight, installed in seconds, turned the machine on and it auto-detected and connected right away at 270 Mbit/s! I find that N gives me much better speed and coverage in my house throughout the entire house.

From my understanding there is no difference between N and draft N, I think everything is still draft N technically, but I'm not certain of that.
yeah if someone could clarify on this "draft-n" and just plain "n" that would be useful info pros and cons?

Dell Mini 9
Obsidian Black//JUST reformatted back to Mac OS X 10.5.6 and i love it fast and reliable (and no batter issue! .//DellEFI 1.1//Stock 16 GB SSD//Kingston HyperX 2GB RAM//1.3 MP Cam

For sale
Stock 1GB RAM for Dell Mini 9. $10
  (#13) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM

How do you disconnect the antennas? Do they just pop off or is there a delicate process?
  (#14) Old

Default 05-27-2009, 11:29 PM

They just pop off, I used a small flat head screw driver to make sure I wasn't pulling on the wires. They snap on the new card like a snap button.

The 802.11N standard isn't final technically, so everything to this point is "draft" - but the WiFi Alliance started certifying anything made with draft 2.0 (circa 2007) as 802.11N.

Read about it: IEEE 802.11n - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short story, OK to buy and use 802.11n now. Loving the increased speed, especially for itunes downloads.
  (#15) Old

Default Wireless N - 05-28-2009, 11:52 PM

I have the Airport Extreme N card from eBay and it works well. I can't say that for sure it runs any hotter than the G card would, but I'm happy with the range and performance of the card. I'm not sure that the heat comes from the wireless card or hard drive or even processor, but I've never really had a laptop that didn't get warm after awhile.
  (#16) Old

Default 05-29-2009, 01:38 AM

I got the Dell 1505 off eBay. It only has 2 terminals and is a direct replacement. Works great.
  (#17) Old

Exclamation Fake Airport cards - 05-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Beware: Airport cards from China are fake.

I had the chance examine a few pieces. All but one had the same Mac address (which was different from the AP ID printed on the card). And all but one had the same S/N and AP ID printed on the label.

However those cards are indeed 802.11n cards using a broadcom 4321 chipset. The country code is set to "USA" instead of "Worldwide" which may cause trouble if you travel abroad or live outside the US.

In order to fix this you may use a tool called ssb-sprom. I used it with Ubuntu to change the country code from X0 (=USA) to X3 (=Worldwide). This tool can also be used to change the identification of the card (=this is how those fake Airport cards may have been created). Basically you can make any BCM43xx card appear as Airport, Dell, HP, etc. Use this tool only if you know what you are doing - you can easily brick your card.

The cards are getting a little hotter then the original b/g card but so far the heat did not impact the performance of my Mini9 (I use CoolBook to keep the CPU cool). The year printed on the PCB of those cards is 2006, maybe newer cards do not produce so much heat.

To make a long story short: fake or no fake: works like a charm with OS X.

---
Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SSD, 0.3 MP camera, BT, Dell 1505 802.11n card, Dell 5530 3G card, 3M Vikuiti ARMP200 Anti-Reflection-Film, OS X 10.6.4