Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default compiz + firefox - 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

after my latest update (the big one that everyone is complaining about) i noticed that firefox (when maximized & was the "active window) would cause the compiz cube / desktop wall to become choppy. but only while switching to/from the desktop with firefox on it...all the other desktops worked fine.

i am just curious of those out there running compiz if this sort of thing has happend to you? and is this an issue with the update or is it a hardware problem ( lack of ram / cpu / video card) ?? i did notice (in system monitor) that the cpu was under alot of stress when compiz was running. so im guessing that is the problem.

my current fix is to simply disable compiz and use metacity. but oh how i miss those lovely effects

and just curious do you think adding one more gig of ram would help? (currently 1gb)

thanks
  (#2) Old

Default Re: compiz + firefox - 01-24-2009, 01:59 AM

I did some digging around last night as compiz was running like a dog on my mini. It appears that the default hardy install uses some intel driver settings that aren't optimal for the chipset in the mini. Long story short, when i added INTEL_BATCH=1 to /etc/environment and
Code:
        Option          "AccelMethod"           "exa"
        Option          "ExaNoComposite"        "false"
        Option          "MigrationHeuristic"    "greedy"
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf everything became good. Obviously backup the files before messing about with them, and you need to sudo the edits.

No idea if this has done anything to my battery life btw, but it seems much the same as before.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: compiz + firefox - 01-24-2009, 04:44 AM

Interesting. Where did you hear/read about making those changes?

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#4) Old

Default Re: compiz + firefox - 01-24-2009, 04:08 PM

i added the following under the Section "Device" in xorg.conf and every thing seems to be working surprisingly better now...

Code:
Option          "FrameBufferCompression"        "false"
Option          "AccelMethod"   "xaa"
originally compiz was eating up almost 60% of my cpu but now it stays around 10-30% BIG IMPROVEMENT

and i haven't really noticed any decrease in battery live. then again i haven't been really paying attention to it.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: compiz + firefox - 01-25-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper
Interesting. Where did you hear/read about making those changes?
I got the link from ubuntuforums.org, it was to a bug page for the intel driver where the devs were discussing what to do in 8.04 with the intel driver.