Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-15-2009, 02:06 AM

This morning i started the update process on my wife's Mini 9 with Ubuntu on it. Everything seemed to be going just fine and I had to leave for work. I was planning to let it finish the installs and i would get back to it later. I didn't even consider it would crash or something would happen that it is now in the current state it is. When I boot it now the normal Ubuntu logo appears but right before it finishes booting to draw the desktop it doesn't go any further. It stops on a tan colored background and never goes further. i can move the mouse but i can't get any keyboard or other commands to execute.

I don't mind reinstalling the OS but i have no idea how to do it. I have the official hardware and software that Dell sent and i have access to a USB dvd drive and a 4gb flash drive.

Can anyone give me some help on what i need to do to get this back up and running? I tried to get dell to help and they won't. If i had known there would be absolutely no tech support for this OS I might not have selected it (no offense to the community, i'm just not that good with linux right now)

Thank you in advance and please consider me an ubuntunoob

Shawhan
  (#2) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

I am going to be busy today, but I'll be back tomorrow to help guide you through this if it isn't clear from reading what happened to this other user.

Nevertheless, try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost6526883 (post #7)

Then just keep reading - your problems are likely similar (either filled HD during update process, or partial configuration of update). It explains how to do all the following:

1. Get to a tty "Terminal"
2. Check HD "available" space
3. Delete files to free space (at least 50MB at this stage) if possible
4. Connect to an ethernet (wired) internet connection
5. Re-configure partially installed updates
6. Ensure all dependencies for installed updates are installed
7. Reboot into the main desktop environment
8. Repeat update process to ensure everything is completed
9. Correct the Firefox issues.

Good luck.

This may also apply: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038076
  (#3) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Given the problem that the ubuntuforums website has been having, I thought I would preserve a copy of the relevant pieces of information here.

Just read all this in order, and follow:

Quote:
Try Ctrl+Alt+F1 (Ctrl+Alt+Fn+A)

That should drop you to tty1 screen.

Then you need to manually enter the username and password (hope you remember them!)

Hope that works for now.
Quote:
Assuming that works:

Code:
df /dev/sda2
Should tell you what % of HD space is being used (make sure there is some free - about 300000 should be OK).

If there is a reasonable amount free, plug into ethernet cable / router:
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
After entered user name and password - screen should appear

your_username@your_username:╦ť$

df /dev/sda2 gives:

Filesystem 1K-blocks 3555040 Used 2944464 Available 427036 Use% 88%

If Available > 400,000 you should be fine. Else you will have to delete files:

Quote:
First, lets see how many updates actually downloaded:
Code:
ls /var/cache/apt/archives
This will list all the updates that have downloaded alphabetically - just tell me what the last one in the list is (just the bit before the version number is fine).

I would start by deleting Trash (replace your_username with your username):
Code:
sudo chown -R your_username ~/.local/share/Trash
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
Then I would suggest deleting personal files in /home (it would be possible to save them to a USB stick if necessary) to create a little more space (at least 20MB to be safe). This can be done from the commandline too with the "rm" command. For example, the following would remove the entire contents of your "Documents" directory, while prompting for a "y" to delete each file / directory (can repeat for "Music", "Pictures", "Videos", "Desktop"):
Code:
rm -ri ~/Documents/*
You can also delete any files in the "Home" directory (i.e. not in a subdirectory) with (be careful with this - there are plenty of hidden folders and files that should not be removed!):
Code:
rm -i ~/*
If that is not enough, you could delete the downloaded update files (you may need to redownload them):
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
Quote:
I have just realised my mistake: you have about 400MB free (not 4MB). Which makes sense with 12% free of a 4GB HD.

Just do the following (at your_username@your_username command line):

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo reboot
This should allow you to log back in. Once in, open a Terminal and ensure the updates complete properly:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Then lets free up some space (delete the update files taking 175MB space):
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
Nevertheless, you will need to be careful about future updates. Best to use the Terminal, and ensure you have at least 200MB free space before each one. Deleting Trash (as above) is useful.
Quote:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/warning-...ate-t2422.html

To fix the Firefox bookmarks / profile issue:

Either use Terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal):
Make sure you copy and paste exactly as here
Code:
rm ~/.mozilla/"web browser"
ln -s ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/.mozilla/"web browser"
Or use the File Manager (aka nautilus):
[quote:3qwts9dc]
Browse "Home Folder" (Places -> Home Folder)
Menu: View -> Show hidden Files
Double-click to Open ".mozilla"
Single left-click "web browser" (if it exists) and press Delete key on keyboard
Right-click "firefox" -> Make link
Right-click "Link to firefox" -> Rename; type "web browser" and press Return on keyboard

To remap the Windows key to F11 (which allows fullscreen in Firefox):
Code:
echo "keycode 115 = F11" > .Xmodmap
Reboot and "load" the xmodmap when offered.[/quote:3qwts9dc]
  (#4) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Ok, this is good stuff. I really appreciate this. I will be getting at this later today to see what works and how capable i am at following directions.

Again, thank you very much for the replies. I'll get back about this later when i can.

Shawhan
  (#5) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-17-2009, 12:13 AM

I am following the instructions from above and I got as far as sudo dpkg --configure -a when it starting doing a whole bunch of setting up actions. I assume this is completing the install of the updates. The SSD was only about 40% filled so that was just fine.

Shawhan
  (#6) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-17-2009, 01:02 AM

Ok, all seems fixed. Took a reboot or two to get the wireless connection to wake up but otherwise it is back to normal minus a few lost firefox bookmarks and some lame ass yahoo toolbar added.

Thank you very much for your help, this made a big difference. I'm very glad her mini is working again.

Shawhan
  (#7) Old

Default Re: System crash during update, will not boot. HELP!! - 01-17-2009, 02:42 AM

You can uninstall the yahoo bar in Synaptic.

And the FF bookmarks should reappear if you follow the final advice above.