Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#71) Old

Default 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Worked for me too! Thanks to all. First try did not work. Second usb stick worked.
  (#72) Old

Thumbs up 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Another thumbs up for this thread, another Mini 9 saved... this one from being filled with sick...

Dismantled it to clean it out (the keyboard's a gonner!) and it wouldn't boot - not quite sure why this has happened since the electronics were all but clean anyway - but the machine seems happy again having flashed the BIOS using the fosk.it method (worked first time).

For those folks struggling with dd on windows to create the recovery USB stick, I'd suggest just downloading a Live Linux CD (e.g. Ubuntu). This will run on pretty much any computer, and since it runs "live", there's no installing or anything, and dd is just there and ready to go.
  (#73) Old

Default 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM

Another 'save' to add to your growing list. Many thanks for sharing!
  (#74) Old

Default 06-02-2012, 10:07 PM

So I'm trying fbyte's method and I get no response at all. No lights/beeps or anything. Is my case pretty hopeless or were some of you not getting any response as well and then it ended up working? I've read through the whole thread and tried everyone's recommendations and just can't get any response from the mini at all. The only thing I haven't tried is using a different USB Drive but I'll be trying that today hopefully.
  (#75) Old

Default 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOh View Post
So I'm trying fbyte's method and I get no response at all. No lights/beeps or anything. Is my case pretty hopeless or were some of you not getting any response as well and then it ended up working? I've read through the whole thread and tried everyone's recommendations and just can't get any response from the mini at all. The only thing I haven't tried is using a different USB Drive but I'll be trying that today hopefully.
I had to try a couple of times to get mine to flash.
The first time I tried. Nothing. Changed USB ports, from left to right side, got a couple of beeps then nothing. I thought that as I got a couple of beeps, the flashing program was running and probably couldn't read the bios file.
I downloaded a bios file from another source and replaced the original file with it.
It worked very well. Lots of reassuring beeps.
It would seem that the bios file I tried first may have been corrupted in the download. Sometimes files can get corrupted by the 'unzipper' program you use. So if you used Winrar say, try 7zip or another similar program.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
  (#76) Old

Default 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Hi, for me it┤s not yet working: Bricked the BIOS trying to update via Windows 7, now trying to recover. Using an USB Floppy, the Vostro A90 starts beeping for 1-2 Minutes (exactly 122 times, than another sound (not a real beep, more like a really low noise, followed again by 2 long beeps), appears.

After that, Disk Drive┤s, lights turn out, reading from disk stops. The Power light of the Vostro remains glowing, but nothing happens. I waited at least half an hour, tried all USB ports and another floppy disk, also replaced the BIOS.WDH like Macflame recommended: Unfortunatly, no success. Other Hints and Tips ?:-)

Last edited by stevi2312; 07-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.
  (#77) Old

Default 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=
After that, Disk Drive┤s, lights turn out, reading from disk stops. The Power light of the Vostro remains glowing, but nothing happens. I waited at least half an hour, tried all USB ports and another floppy disk, also replaced the BIOS.WDH like Macflame recommended: Unfortunatly, no success. Other Hints and Tips ?:-)[/QUOTE]
Have you tried to boot another laptop/pc with the floppy disk? At least that way you can see that the floppy you are using is bootable. I can't think of anything else I'm afraid.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Sorry scrub the above. It sounds like it is booting and reading the disk. I shall take off these beer bottle glasses and put my sensible head on later.
  (#78) Old

Default 07-05-2012, 07:28 AM

;-)

Thanks, but finally, the simplest solutions are the best:
I found an old PC with Windows XP, and created a Recovery USB Flash Stick, as prepared by fbyte (thanks!), and it worked liked charm.

(Even in compabitily mode in Windows 7 64Bit I could not prepare the stick)

Still don┤t know why it failed with the floppy drive.

Thanks a lot to the forum and fbyte!
  (#79) Old

Default 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Excellent news!
  (#80) Old

Default 11-04-2012, 03:14 AM

So I played with this and was successful twice in one night(hehe I wanted A06)

Looks like I couldn't get it to work unless I did the following.

1. Create the disk and make sure all three files are on it. Minidos, Flash, and bios file. I made sure it was formated fat and then ran the WINCRIS and then copied over the three files(Windows 7 64bit user)

2. Press and hold Fnc and B
3. Plug in power
4. Press power while holding FNC and B.
5. Release all three at the same time.

It will then go through a set of Beeps, if you get a bonk sound, it can't read bios file. Just replace it and try again

I was successful twice with this. I hope this helps.

Thanks for this solution