Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default Boot/Charge issue - 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Dell Streak won't boot up. When I connect the charger the screen will light up and go off again. Without the charger it doesn't do anything.

All this happened after the battery got completely drained. I'm running on StreakDroid.

Does anyone have seen this before (see video)?

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Since I need a postcount of 3 to be able to share the video I will bumb this twice.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Ok, so here is the video.

(#2) Old

Default 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM

What are you plugging it into? A simple unpowered USB port may not provide enough power if the battery is entirely drained. Try the mains connector or car kit connector instead.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

I've tried both the USB-port and wall plug.

When I'm using the USB-port the computer will recognize the phone, but I can't access it.
  (#4) Old

Red face Boot/Charge Issue - 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM

I wonder if a battery replacement might solve the problem.

Perhaps the original battery is now damaged, and it's condition may have some relevance in whether the device will stay on, even if on the charger.

But if you do buy another battery, get a Dell one, not one of the cheap generic ones on Ebay.

I doubt the battery is covered in Dell's warranty, - but maybe it is for 12 months at least.

Someone I think may have mentioned that Dell would not be helpful if it was known their official software wasn't being used on the device, but I would try them anyway, without telling them about that, if the device is still within a warranty period.

Did they ever have any warning that their official software/operating system had to be used?
  (#5) Old

Default 05-28-2011, 09:42 AM

I can't use my warrenty because the phone was bought abroad, so I can't go back to the reseller.

I've ordered a new battery and a charger that will charge the battery (when it is not in the phone). I really hope that solves the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you informed.
  (#6) Old

Default Battery problems - 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Hi

I've been having problems with my Streak. For example I charge it overnight and in the morning I turn it on to find it's 100% charger (I get this indication by an image that appears imediatly after I press the power botton) then I prepare myself to get out and try to switch On the device after 30min. of getting it unpluged from the charger and nothing happens. To turn it On I have to plug it again to the mains for 5 min.(see the indication of no charge 0%) and after this it will light up with a 100% charged battery.

Then if I keep using the device without it going off(standby) there is no problem, but if it enters standby it won't turn On again anymore, until I plug it to the mains again.
  (#7) Old

Red face Boot/Charge Issue - 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM

This again may be a battery issue.

My ISP Optus, told me not to overcharge the battery.

So, as soon as it reaches 100% in about 90 minutes, I disconnect, and have not had any battery problems.

In my opinion overnight is far too long.

But, then what about the dock, where the device is constantly on charge?

I speculate it has for the price, a device that stops delivering a charge when it calculates the device is charged to the optimum level.

But having said this, no doubt others will say they also charge overnight and experience no problems.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
This again may be a battery issue.

My ISP Optus, told me not to overcharge the battery.

So, as soon as it reaches 100% in about 90 minutes, I disconnect, and have not had any battery problems.

In my opinion overnight is far too long.

But, then what about the dock, where the device is constantly on charge?

I speculate it has for the price, a device that stops delivering a charge when it calculates the device is charged to the optimum level.

But having said this, no doubt others will say they also charge overnight and experience no problems.
That might be true. I charge my phone when I'm asleep, that's like 5/6 hours a day.

When I wake up, I always find the same error on my screen; "Battery took too long to charge".

Still though, I've always did the same thing with my HTC phones and never hand any problems, I've never had to replaced a battery before!
  (#9) Old

Default Boot/Charge Issue - 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM

I am sure the lady at Optus who sold me the phone did not know of any special limitations of the Streak, and would probably have said that about any phone I might have bought.

But the battery charges up very quickly, so no need to leave it on charge overnight. If there is 20% charge left, it might take around 90 minutes to fully charge.

It seems to me that all these rebooting issues that Streak owners mention, are due to damaged batteries. Either letting them run down totally, or over charging them.

However, I am no expert on these matters, and I might be quite wrong.

Streaks do some strange things - like mine will not play videos, just the audio, unless I start to play them when I first tun on the device. Play other Apps. first, and it is likely to do that.

Just once I had a strange battery issue. I knew from the previous night the battery had 50% charge, but whilst watching a video the next day, it suddenly told me the battery was exhausted and showed an image of a red battery with a like lightening bolt across it.

I just ignored it and the movie played on.

When I got home and placed it on the charger, it showed it still had around 50% charge.

That has never happened since.

But I turn off the device when I can see from the battery image in the notification bar the charge is around 20%.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM

New battery solved the problems.

I'll try to charge it for only 90 minutes from now on. But I bought an other battery just in case.

Thanks for your replys.