Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#71) Old
tommyv tommyv is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Default 12-05-2009, 01:38 AM

I'm really glad we finally got reliable audio solution for our Minis

To make it more elegant (correct input and output device names in sound prefs and ambient noise reduction option for mic) I found a legacy kext that injects to vanilla AppleHDA (futureproof?) either via HDAEnabler or DSDT patch.

This method involves the following:

Restore original AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions (won't show correct device names if put elsewhere). If you deleted it, you can extract it from 10.6.2 update with Pacifist

Copy patched IOAudioFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Copy Alc268.kext to /Extra/Mini9Ext/

Copy DSDT.aml to /Extra/

No need to manually change ownership and/or permission on kexts.

Since UpdateExtra (and NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC4) has AppleHDA blacklisted, it removes the kext from its original location so we have to remove its reference:

Go to /Extra, right click on UpdateExtra, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents -> Resources -> SupportFiles.

Open machine.plist with a Plist editor or Textedit navigate to Dell Mini 9 -> Kext Blacklist and remove entry 0 AppleHDA.kext.

Save and exit, run UpdateExtra, repair permissions and reboot
Attached Files
File Type: zip ALC268.kext.zip (8.7 KB, 309 views)
File Type: zip dsdt.aml.zip (8.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: zip IOAudioFamily.kext.zip (81.3 KB, 255 views)


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 RC4 | 32GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | 0.3 MP Webcam | WWAN | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF
Reply With Quote
  (#72) Old
underwhelmed underwhelmed is offline
Guru
 
Posts: 1,375
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
I'm really glad we finally got reliable audio solution for our Minis

To make it more elegant (correct input and output device names in sound prefs and ambient noise reduction option for mic) I found a legacy kext that injects to vanilla AppleHDA (futureproof?) either via HDAEnabler or DSDT patch.

This method involves the following:

Restore original AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions (won't show correct device names if put elsewhere). If you deleted it, you can extract it from 10.6.2 update with Pacifist

Copy patched IOAudioFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Copy Alc268.kext to /Extra/Mini9Ext/

Copy DSDT.aml to /Extra/

No need to manually change ownership and/or permission on kexts.

Since UpdateExtra (and NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC4) has AppleHDA blacklisted, it removes the kext from its original location so we have to remove its reference:

Go to /Extra, right click on UpdateExtra, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents -> Resources -> SupportFiles.

Open machine.plist with a Plist editor or Textedit navigate to Dell Mini 9 -> Kext Blacklist and remove entry 0 AppleHDA.kext.

Save and exit, run UpdateExtra, repair permissions and reboot
Wow, thanks for your work on this.

You know you can add these kexts to the NBI so they are loaded when you run the NBI and load the mini extensions, right? Might make life easier down the road if you need to re run NBI.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...tml#post122345


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
Reply With Quote
  (#73) Old
tommyv tommyv is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Default 12-05-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
Wow, thanks for your work on this.

You know you can add these kexts to the NBI so they are loaded when you run the NBI and load the mini extensions, right? Might make life easier down the road if you need to re run NBI.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...tml#post122345
Here's patched NBI 0.8.3 RC4 reflecting changes from this thread, including kexts and DSDT patches from my last post, also including the latest OSXRestart.kext V 1.5

You should have original 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions prior to running NBI, otherwise the sound won't work.
Run it with install extensions and generate dsdt options checked

The changes I made are specifically for Mini 9 and 10.6

UpdateExtra.app is patched as well.


EDIT: Link removed because it doesn't work


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 RC4 | 32GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | 0.3 MP Webcam | WWAN | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF
Reply With Quote
  (#74) Old
Eligos Eligos is offline
Senior Member
 
Eligos's Avatar
 
Posts: 262
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default 12-05-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
Here's patched NBI 0.8.3 RC4 reflecting changes from this thread, including kexts and DSDT patches from my last post, also including the latest OSXRestart.kext V 1.5

You should have original 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions prior to running NBI, otherwise the sound won't work.
Run it with install extensions and generate dsdt options checked

The changes I made are specifically for Mini 9 and 10.6

UpdateExtra.app is patched as well.

NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC4 Dell Mini9 10.6.zip
Just used your patched installer on our two Mini 9's.
Works perfectly.
Many thanks!


Dell Mini 9 : OS X 10.6.8 : BIOS A05
32GB STEC SSD : 2GB RAM
NBI Version : Latest
SpeedStep : [Enabled]
USB Legacy support : [Disabled]
Reply With Quote
  (#75) Old
tehjord tehjord is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 12-05-2009, 04:37 AM

Amazing, better work tommyv cuz I'm switching to SL right now because of you

many thxs to all involved in this
Reply With Quote
  (#76) Old
shawnf shawnf is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: May 2009
Default 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
Here's patched NBI 0.8.3 RC4 reflecting changes from this thread, including kexts and DSDT patches from my last post, also including the latest OSXRestart.kext V 1.5

You should have original 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions prior to running NBI, otherwise the sound won't work.
Run it with install extensions and generate dsdt options checked

The changes I made are specifically for Mini 9 and 10.6

UpdateExtra.app is patched as well.

NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC4 Dell Mini9 10.6.zip
I have a Dell Mini 9 running 10.6.2 using NBI RC4.
I was using VoodooHDA, but as this "sounded" better, I tried your method.
Unfortunately I end up with no audio devices
I removed VoodooHDA kext from Extra and from the Pref panel.
I copied in AppleHDA and your IOAudioFamily to /System/Library/Extensions.
I then did a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.
Finally I ran your NBI RC4 with build dsdt, fix bluetooth, install extensions ticked.
After a reboot I get no input or output audio devices available

Any suggestions on logs or anything else I can check (as I'm not a OS X expert)?
Reply With Quote
  (#77) Old
tommyv tommyv is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 21
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Default 12-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnf View Post
I have a Dell Mini 9 running 10.6.2 using NBI RC4.
I was using VoodooHDA, but as this "sounded" better, I tried your method.
Unfortunately I end up with no audio devices
I removed VoodooHDA kext from Extra and from the Pref panel.
I copied in AppleHDA and your IOAudioFamily to /System/Library/Extensions.
I then did a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.
Finally I ran your NBI RC4 with build dsdt, fix bluetooth, install extensions ticked.
After a reboot I get no input or output audio devices available

Any suggestions on logs or anything else I can check (as I'm not a OS X expert)?
Something must have gone wrong with patched NBI, I'll post an update as soon as I find out


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 RC4 | 32GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | 0.3 MP Webcam | WWAN | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF
Reply With Quote
  (#78) Old
Adrastea Adrastea is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 19
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Anyone having issues with this? For the life of me I can't get this to work. I reboot and have the sound controls, but I have no sound.
Reply With Quote
  (#79) Old
novabossa novabossa is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Hello!
Yes I have a similar problem. I have the controls but not sound... :-( Thanks to all contributing to the resolution of this issue, by the way...
Reply With Quote
  (#80) Old
underwhelmed underwhelmed is offline
Guru
 
Posts: 1,375
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default 12-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrastea View Post
Anyone having issues with this? For the life of me I can't get this to work. I reboot and have the sound controls, but I have no sound.
It didn't work ( the patched NBI posted ) for me either. The use of the 2 kexts in post #66 works perfectly fine, however.


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.