Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#31) Old

Default 07-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheaties View Post
Where is this "special" version of NBI located???
Here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
  (#32) Old

Thumbs up Got 10.6.8 working! Thanks dchao - 08-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Thanks to dchao for posting the instructions to upgrade to 10.6.8.

I followed post #7 exactly and everything worked out perfect! Upgraded my Mini 9 16GB SSD from 10.6.7.

Cheers dchao!
  (#33) Old

Default 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks. Worked great!

Was able to go from 10.6.7 -> 10.6.8.
Got that working (just to make sure I could), and then updated the 10.6.8.1 (new version of 10.6.8 they released).

Had to do a recovery boot, and copy over the legacy kernel again (suggest you make a copy and leave the original around in case you need to reinstall it ), but then it worked great!

Thanks!

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#34) Old

Default 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Hello, I used dchao's method and it worked at first, than a few days later the mini crashed when put to sleep. I tried reinstalling the sleep enabler next but then it wouldn't even boot.

So I am starting a clean install again. I just have a few questions regarding this method of installing 10.6.8.

First of, the combo update didn't work for me, it gave an error at about 70%. I installed the update via software update. Hope thats ok.

What should the bios settings be after the 10.6.8 update? Legacy, usb wake, bluetooth (should bluetooth be enabled even if I am not using it?)
I had usb wake disabled, and usb legacy enabled and it worked fine for a few days...I don't know what made it stop working, I didn't install anything after the update.

Next question is: after step 12 "Finger crossed. Restart your Dell Mini the last time." Do you have to do anything else? Fix permissions, run NBI? Anything?

Thankyou very much!
  (#35) Old

Default 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitung View Post
Hello, I used dchao's method and it worked at first, than a few days later the mini crashed when put to sleep. I tried reinstalling the sleep enabler next but then it wouldn't even boot.

So I am starting a clean install again. I just have a few questions regarding this method of installing 10.6.8.

First of, the combo update didn't work for me, it gave an error at about 70%. I installed the update via software update. Hope thats ok.
Maybe there is something wrong, normally, combo update should work fine.

Quote:
What should the bios settings be after the 10.6.8 update? Legacy, usb wake, bluetooth (should bluetooth be enabled even if I am not using it?)
usb wake : disabled.
usb legacy : disabled.
bluetooth : disabled if you aren't using it.

Quote:
I had usb wake disabled, and usb legacy enabled and it worked fine for a few days...I don't know what made it stop working, I didn't install anything after the update.
That's why you have sleep issue, you should have usb wake and usb legacy both disabled.

Quote:
Next question is: after step 12 "Finger crossed. Restart your Dell Mini the last time." Do you have to do anything else? Fix permissions, run NBI? Anything?

Thankyou very much!
apart from replacing the mach_kernel and installing sleep enabler, You should run NBI before restarting, and not necessary after reboot, but you can run NBI and repair disk permissions after reboot, it doesn't hurt to do that.

Last edited by r6680jc; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
  (#36) Old

Default 08-17-2011, 11:11 PM

Thankyou for the quick reply r6680jc!

Works perfectly now! Updated via software update to 10.6.8, everything works as it should.
  (#37) Old

Default 08-19-2011, 01:32 AM

I know this is incredibly old. But I'm new to this and can't understand how to follow dchao's guide. Is there anyway anyone can transcribe this into an exact guide that is very specific?

The issue is I installed 10.6.0 retail following a guide and used the NBI and got everything working properly. But then I updated and now it's in the boot loop. I type recovery=yes after holding shift when turning it on and it still does a loop of a blue screen to the standard background and back with a loading wheel occasionally.

Is it possible to upgrade from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 straight?
  (#38) Old

Default 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywiththewind View Post
I know this is incredibly old. But I'm new to this and can't understand how to follow dchao's guide. Is there anyway anyone can transcribe this into an exact guide that is very specific?

The issue is I installed 10.6.0 retail following a guide and used the NBI and got everything working properly. But then I updated and now it's in the boot loop. I type recovery=yes after holding shift when turning it on and it still does a loop of a blue screen to the standard background and back with a loading wheel occasionally.
Did you type "recovery=y" on chameleon boot screen (when you saw the hdd icon(s))?
Which version of NBI did you use?

Quote:
Is it possible to upgrade from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 straight?
Yes, it is possible.
  (#39) Old

Default 08-29-2011, 05:56 AM

I'm on a Mini 10v that was running 10.6.7 and I finally decided to give updating to 10.6.8 a go using dchao's instructions in post #7. Things looked good & I got through the reboot loop, replaced the kernel, & installed the SleepEnabler kext.

I have sound but have lost both sleep & airport. Kext Helper gives me the "Looks good, cross fingers & reboot" message but then beach balls when I try to exit the app to reboot. Any ideas on that or why my Airport has stopped working?
  (#40) Old

Default 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM

I love you @dchao!

I was able to go from a virgin 10.6 install directly to 10.6.8 (on a Mini 10v) using your steps in Post #7.

It just worked!

Once I got all the tools in place, probably the easiest install I've done to this baby.

lol, thanks so much!