Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM

I am seeing the battery reporting issue is resolved for me in this release. Also before this A05 flash, I had a bogus number in my dock battery icon, something like 1193046:28hrs now it's reporting like it should.
I would also note the wear level now shown for the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery_reporting.JPG (84.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg battery_reporting_2.JPG (47.9 KB, 172 views)
  (#12) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Yes, most of the battery issues are fixed. If you take a look at the dsdt, you'll see why. Whoever wrote the code however introduced a few bugs with it. For one thing, they multiply the reading form the battery by wattage 10 which causes problems in calculating the mAh. EDIT: nvm, I actually think it fixes a but that they did have / built into the battery.
They also assume that the battery is 3 cell (11.1v), when every dell mini 9 battery is 4 or 8 cell (14.8v). That assumption only matters when the battery isn't providing the correct information, however it would be nice if they actually coded it correctly / used the datasheet / common knowledge about the mini 9.
There are a couple of other things in there that are just plain wrong, however overall the dsdt code is a major improvement to what it was be fore (being that there was no battery code before).

None of this stuff really matters for OS X as its already been fixed with a dsdt patcher.

The only other thing I have noticed that on OS X, the hang on restart bug seems to be fixed.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM

So what does this mean for us OSX users? I havent run into any problems so I dont really see the need to update the OS, but if it does fix the boot up hang without changing anything else I would be more than happy to update
  (#14) Old

Send a message via MSN to Sumanji
Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBoi
I am seeing the battery reporting issue is resolved for me in this release. Also before this A05 flash, I had a bogus number in my dock battery icon, something like 1193046:28hrs now it's reporting like it should.
I would also note the wear level now shown for the battery.
Is that the stock Dell battery application? I don't have that for some reason?! After installing the Dell software I just get the normal Windows power meter...

Cheers,

Suman

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Onyx
8GB STEC SSD ~ 16GB SD HC Card ~ 2GB PNY DDR2 ~ Intel WiFi Link 5100 ~ Bluetooth ~ 0.3MP Webcam ~ Windows 7 RC 7100 x32
  (#15) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort
None of this stuff really matters for OS X as its already been fixed with a dsdt patcher.
so, i just installed OSX (for keeps) on my Dell Mini, does this mean that i can get one of these 8-cell batteries and not have to go through flashing LED weirdness, and Byzantine charging procedures without loading A05 (have A04 loaded)?

thx!

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2! http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...html#post73180
Got Static? http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...io-static.html
  (#16) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 04:51 PM

The dsdt patcher only affects the os. Since they changed the dsdt code in the bios file, It'll probably affect the lights and make it so that the "disco lights" for the 8 cell battery is fixed.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM

I updated my MIni 9 to BIOS A05 and recreated dsdt.aml file (I am on MAC OS X) and it works perfect and the video memory still is 64Mb.

Regards.

DELL Mini 9 - 2Gb RAM - 32Gb RunCore SSD - BIOS A05 - OS X Leopard 10.5.7
  (#18) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM

I know this is somewhat unrelated - but on the video memory front - is anyone running window 7? here's a screencap from the info window of the video properties. I noticed the 64mb cap on win xp home - but it doesn't seem to be the case here... or is this erroneous?

[attachment=0:zzmfcc4f]vidMem.png[/attachment:zzmfcc4f]
Attached Images
File Type: png vidMem.png (35.0 KB, 111 views)
  (#19) Old

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
The dsdt patcher only affects the os. Since they changed the dsdt code in the bios file, It'll probably affect the lights and make it so that the "disco lights" for the 8 cell battery is fixed.
Nope the disco lights still exist and now it exists when the laptop is off when charging the battery.
  (#20) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: A05 BIOS is here... (DOS and Windows versions) - 03-27-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielN
Quote:
Nope the disco lights still exist and now it exists when the laptop is off when charging the battery.
yeah, that sucks! :x

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtnoise
I know this is somewhat unrelated - but on the video memory front - is anyone running window 7? here's a screencap from the info window of the video properties. I noticed the 64mb cap on win xp home - but it doesn't seem to be the case here... or is this erroneous?

[attachment=0:30hbx5f9]vidMem.png[/attachment:30hbx5f9]
in the dxdiag window info a got 256Mb too.

but were did you go in win7 to get that info? i can't find it :mrgreen:

sory me no spiko english