Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#71) Old

Default Re: Which type of SSD work for Mini 9? - 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin
My 4GB SSD mini 9 works well with an 8 GB SHDC card using ubuntu 8.10. I am a bit surprised on how well this combination works. It really depends on what you want mini to do.
That's what I have found too. I have a decent amount of packages installed and am only using 2.6G. I use a 16G SHDC card with 25 movies on it no problem. People in this thread have extraordinary needs.
  (#72) Old

Default Re: Which type of SSD work for Mini 9? - 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork
Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin
My 4GB SSD mini 9 works well with an 8 GB SHDC card using ubuntu 8.10. I am a bit surprised on how well this combination works. It really depends on what you want mini to do.
That's what I have found too. I have a decent amount of packages installed and am only using 2.6G. I use a 16G SHDC card with 25 movies on it no problem. People in this thread have extraordinary needs.
I wouldn't say that is the case, but instead, people try to find a "sweet spot", pricewise, with the upgrades like SSD's, etc., and we're only talking a few dollars difference between some of the slower alternatives (SuperTalent) and the faster RunCores.

Therefore, for some on a budget, the SuperTalents do just fine. For an extra $40, one can have faster performance. It's not that they have "extraordinary needs", but it comes down to making a wise, cost-effective decision based on available funds, and the importance of speed over cost.

It's a tough decision. If the Runcores shipped same day, I'd spend the extra $25 for a 16GB or extra $30 for a 32GB, knowing I'll have it in a few days. But since the SuperTalents are available NOW, and their performance is OK, I'm willing to compromise. Someday, soon hopefully, that will change. But for know, my friends are clamoring for me to make them a Mini9!!