Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Complete Guide to Dual Booting 10v with Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2 - 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM

UPDATED Jan 3 2010 to support adding Windows 7 on the second partition of an already functional Snow Leopard install For posterity, the original version of this guide is attached as a text file below.

With this guide I’ve tried to list every single...
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
I searched "silverlight" on this forum and found this that might help:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...ac-solved.html

Search is your friend!

-virusdoc
I did find an alternative way of installing it, it sounds like this even happens with actual non hackintoshed macs.

I will check out the other link that you posted, and I did search and I did not see that. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 AM

Excellent, I followed the directions as you laid them out and everything worked. I'm responding from my hackbook right now in fact!

Well done.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Well, I've tried EVERYTHING - using a mac to create a usb and the pc way in from the link above. The really annoying thing is that the 10v actually behaves differently each time you boo the darn thing - and it behaves differently depending on which stick is in which port! That's crazy and illogical (you can tell I've had a tough day :-) )

Anyway, I wonder if this is my problem: The disk I have is genuine and bought form the Apple store - but it says Upgrade on it. When I asked, I was told that this is all there is! However, the guide refers to a "full retail version". Could this be my problem???

Many thanks,
Sword
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword View Post
Well, I've tried EVERYTHING - using a mac to create a usb and the pc way in from the link above. The really annoying thing is that the 10v actually behaves differently each time you boo the darn thing - and it behaves differently depending on which stick is in which port! That's crazy and illogical (you can tell I've had a tough day :-) )

Anyway, I wonder if this is my problem: The disk I have is genuine and bought form the Apple store - but it says Upgrade on it. When I asked, I was told that this is all there is! However, the guide refers to a "full retail version". Could this be my problem???

Many thanks,
Sword
No, you are correct: all SL disks are labelled "upgrade".

I know this may sound crazy, but have you tried using a different USB stick? Since you're getting illogical boot behavior, I wonder if the USB stick you're using has a problem or is not being correctly recognized by the 10v. You enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
No, you are correct: all SL disks are labelled "upgrade".

I know this may sound crazy, but have you tried using a different USB stick? Since you're getting illogical boot behavior, I wonder if the USB stick you're using has a problem or is not being correctly recognized by the 10v. You enabled legacy USB support in the BIOS?
Yup, enabled USB legacy support AND tried a total of 4 different memory sticks (two large ones and two small ones) all from different manufacturers.

Now, for completeness, I should say that my 10v has 2GB RAM and a 320GB HDD - it also has a gprs sim card slot under that battery.

When ripping the macos dvd from PC, I checked to ensure that it was 100% error free as it went along - with no recovery attempts. I've done this 3 times now.

Another silly question - but how do I confirm that this is a mini 10v and not simply a mini 10?

Its bonkers
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yup, enabled USB legacy support AND tried a total of 4 different memory sticks (two large ones and two small ones) all from different manufacturers.

Now, for completeness, I should say that my 10v has 2GB RAM and a 320GB HDD - it also has a gprs sim card slot under that battery.

When ripping the macos dvd from PC, I checked to ensure that it was 100% error free as it went along - with no recovery attempts. I've done this 3 times now.

Another silly question - but how do I confirm that this is a mini 10v and not simply a mini 10?

Its bonkers
That would be a critical distinction. Somewhere in the initial boot splash screen or the BIOS it should give a model number. The 10v is model Inspiron 1011. That's probably on the bottom of the unit somewhere too, but mine is at home so I can't check from here.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That would be a critical distinction. Somewhere in the initial boot splash screen or the BIOS it should give a model number. The 10v is model Inspiron 1011. That's probably on the bottom of the unit somewhere too, but mine is at home so I can't check from here.
Phew, okay, its not that - BIOS says product name is Inspiron 1011, N270 1600 Mhz chip.

Works perfect under Windows 7.

Really grateful for you help here :-)

Sword
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Phew, okay, its not that - BIOS says product name is Inspiron 1011, N270 1600 Mhz chip.

Works perfect under Windows 7.

Really grateful for you help here :-)

Sword
Well, in the absence of anything intelligent to say, I would suggest starting from scratch. Boot into the SL disk and repartition the drive, then start the install process over again. The one other bizarro install problem I've seen on this thread involved a corrupt bootloader on the 10v harddisk, and repartitioning solved it.

If that doesn't do it, I would start to suspect hardware problems. Try using only a singly USB port, and one that is different from the ones you usually use. Since you have a Mac-generated NBI boot disk, you no longer need to use the two-stick method.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well, in the absence of anything intelligent to say, I would suggest starting from scratch. Boot into the SL disk and repartition the drive, then start the install process over again. The one other bizarro install problem I've seen on this thread involved a corrupt bootloader on the 10v harddisk, and repartitioning solved it.

If that doesn't do it, I would start to suspect hardware problems. Try using only a singly USB port, and one that is different from the ones you usually use. Since you have a Mac-generated NBI boot disk, you no longer need to use the two-stick method.
Can't re-partition as can't get into the loader (even from the mac USB) - using ANY of 3 USB ports. Ports all work fine under W7 though.

Only way I see *anything* is to insert small USB into slot 1 (next to power supply), hit f12 then insert 2nd large usb into slot 2 (next to previous) and hit return. But then, the only options I have are reserved system or NTFS - it doesn't give me the mac option.

Any and every other combination either gives different W7 boot screens or else "missing operating system" or some other weird response.

I appreciate you're not an expert when this goes off the rails - maybe somebody else will look in ...

thanks anyways :-)
Sword
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM

SWORD:

Did you install this 320 GB hard drive yourself, or is it the factory disk?

You might try removing the hard drive, inserting it into a USB enclosure, and performing the install that way. Prior to NBI 0.8.3 RC5, this was the way some people used to get OSX installed on A06 BIOS.

Will the Mac SL USB boot any other laptops you have tried?

You could boot into a bootable W7 USB and delete all partitions from the Advanced option on the installer screen...
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools