General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default 10-04-2009, 07:48 AM

How about now? I'm using The latest RC of NBI, still boots slower than a G3 iMac.. heh..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#12) Old

Default 10-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Hi guys; ref the long wait after "waiting for DMOS". I had the same issue some weeks ago. It seemed to be because the installation was made to a partition that had the "ignore ownership" checked (as shown in Get Info for the volume). When I sorted that out, and specifically I think I did a chown 0:0 /, the long wait was reduced significantly. Now I get to desktop in around 40s after selecting the boot volume in Chameleon. This is on a Lenovo ;-) but I guess is still applicable to 10v etc.
  (#13) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humph View Post
Hi guys; ref the long wait after "waiting for DMOS". I had the same issue some weeks ago. It seemed to be because the installation was made to a partition that had the "ignore ownership" checked (as shown in Get Info for the volume). When I sorted that out, and specifically I think I did a chown 0:0 /, the long wait was reduced significantly. Now I get to desktop in around 40s after selecting the boot volume in Chameleon. This is on a Lenovo ;-) but I guess is still applicable to 10v etc.
Humph, can you give more specific instructions? I don't want to screw up! Thanks,
dan

Dell Mini 10v | OS X 10.6.2 | NetbookInstaller .8.3RC5 | BIOS Version A05 | 120GB HD | No BT | 2 Gigs Ram
  (#14) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew912 View Post
Humph, can you give more specific instructions? I don't want to screw up! Thanks,
dan
Hi dew912,
If I recall correctly:
a) To correct the incorrect setting of Ignore Ownership, I did a fresh install having set the volume to NOT Ignore Ownership (I did quite a few installs back then, learning & trying to get a stable & clean one). However, I guess there are ways to "fix" this, if needed, without needing a complete re-install. (Guessing....do it when booted from some other volume and Repair Permissions etc?)

b) To correct the root ownership, which was the issue causing delays in booting, I simply did that command (other post) as su from terminal. (not recursive, ie: no -r flag).

Note that I stumbled across this problem by looking at console logs from verbose boot, where there were words something about ownership of /. It may not be your problem, so could be worth to check the logs.

Also, I saw on some other forum that there's an issue with USBUHCI that can make hangs (rather than delay) at boot. Selecting UHCIReset in the boot.plist, or edit the kext inside IOUSBFamily to make OSBundleRequired as "SafeBoot". I think it may have been in netkas' blog (but can't remember where) so if was actually someone else, then ooops and sorry for not giving credit where due.
  (#15) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM

I think the problem of slow booting on the Mini10v and SnowLeopard is caused by the sound driver.

For example the Mini9 boots faster.

Meklort had published a very first version of NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC2 which had a bug - no sound was working after booting the system. But this buggy version of NetbookInstaller was very fast in booting the system.
You see, there is a connection between audio and slow boot on the Mini10.
  (#16) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
I think the problem of slow booting on the Mini10v and SnowLeopard is caused by the sound driver.
Crisu (& de912),
Could be. I'm on the Azalia audio option of NBM (Lenovo) rather than HDA, which seems to be OK boot-wise (then again, I've not disabled it to see if it makes any difference!).
  (#17) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM

I've been hackin the Dell 10v for a couple of people. I notice having 2gig of RAM runs slower than a 10v only have 1 gig, anyone notice this as well?
  (#18) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Mine's still at 1gb.. Too lazy to tear into the thing..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED