Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default cannot downgrade (upgrade) from windows 7 starter to windows xp - 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM

hi guys,

i got a new 10v here with windows 7 starter. after finding out about all the limitations with starter i decided to use my old XP disc and keycode to get this computer working how it should be. but my issue is that it will not install. i have tried both the USB method and even using the CD and it will not install. when i use the CD i get a screen with a blinking cursor and thats it. when i use the USB method the system says "remove all devices and press any key to continue" once i do that it boots to windows normally. either that or it ignores the USB completely. any ideas on how to get this working properly?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Check to make sure that "Legacy USB" is "On" in the BIOS. It sounds as if there is a problem with your XP copy.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 01-21-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Check to make sure that "Legacy USB" is "On" in the BIOS. It sounds as if there is a problem with your XP copy.
thanks holmes, will check that out.
  (#4) Old
ahandlen003

Default 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM

If it still doesnt work are you sure you made the usb bootable? If u still have problems PM me
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to 05GT
Default 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM

What are the Windows 7 Starter limitations?
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi. Check your usb device is shown in the bios before you try to boot from it. My dvd drive and one of my usb memory sticks were not shown in the bios so the bios will not recognise them to boot from. If you have one that is shown in the bios(usb memory stick). I used a program called wintoflash which can be found if you google it, all you do is put in your original operating system into a dvd drive on a other computer, make sure you have a usb stick installed and follow the instructions of wintoflash. It takes a while to install but it works. hope this helps you.
  (#8) Old

Default 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM

I upgraded my daughter's 1010 (Mini 10) from 7 Starter to XP w/SP3 by following SolutionBase: Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive Went flawlessly except you have to go to Dell.com and get the drivers for that machine. Chipset, wireless, pointing device, sound, etc... You might want to download this stuff BEFORE you nuke it.

Good luck.