Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#11) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM

thanks for the heads up on this. Installing windows last night was getting very frustrating... I assumed (I was tired) that it kept asking for the location of the same file over and over again, until I read this post.

cheers
  (#12) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 02-21-2009, 04:37 AM

Ok guys I just got my Mini today, and I'm having this same issue with a copy of WinXP SP1. I have tried changing the pathnames but it's not helping. Any ideas? Or will need SP3 for this to work no matter what?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 02-27-2009, 09:56 AM

The strangest thing is that I installed a clean copy of XP with SP3 yesterday and today it just refuses to re-install. Same CD drive, same CD disk same everything. I've burnt 3 different copies of XP with different burning programs, different drives and no result. Very soon I will start pulling my hair out.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM

I also had this problem with the 'asms' on XP Home SP3. I couldn't reinstall windows XP and on the phone with Dell for 2 hours, they couldn't figure it out. I found this forum and the d:\i386 worked on removing the cdrom0\i386. I had to use the d:\i386 a bunch of times to the XP installed. This is a great forum it really helped me alot. Maybe the techs at dell should use this forum.

Thanks
Redtop
  (#15) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 04-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk
The same here.

Took me a while too see what wasn't ok.

Last tip : you can copy/paste while installing XP makes you spare some repetitive typing.
Im very curious about this post , exactly what is supposed to be Copied and then pasted, during XP installation, I cant remember any need for this , please enlightn me????

***update***
Ok I got it... u r refering to those who have issues iwth the Asms file... I can see it now... if is going to ask where the file is , yes it will be usefull to use[control+V] (paste) this command line during every query... sorry i didnt get it the first time...
  (#16) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM

I had this problem while reinstalling XP, and I ended up getting a very strange install...

Windows didn't ask for a username as it used to asked in those first blue screens, where it asks you to register, to activate automatica updates, etc... I didn't get those screens. And ended up with a XP without the games in the start menu, withou windows explorer, etc...
  (#17) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM

I just reinstall xp pro and the same thing happened... I get a Windows install without windows explorer or games, and even though I had a chance to choose a username I ended up with a user named administrator. After install some drivers Windows keep saying that some important files were replaced and I needeed to put the Windows CD again...

What am I doing wrong?
  (#18) Old

Default Re: The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home is SP3 is Needed - 04-23-2009, 03:50 AM

loading xp pro here - thanks to this site - that d:\i386 did the trick
  (#19) Old

Default 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM

I am in the process of installing Windows XP Pro right now, with the ASM missing issue. This did not happen when I was installing Windows before. The only thing I changed is I added a EETI USB hub, and some USB devices.

So however said they fixed it by disconnecting other USB devices and restarted the installer, I think they are right on the money that this is the problem.
  (#20) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd223 View Post
I am in the process of installing Windows XP Pro right now, with the ASM missing issue. This did not happen when I was installing Windows before. The only thing I changed is I added a EETI USB hub, and some USB devices.

So however said they fixed it by disconnecting other USB devices and restarted the installer, I think they are right on the money that this is the problem.
Or you can add in the missing d:/ to each error, there's only about 20 or so

Please do not send me support requests via PM.