Mac OS X Guides Guides for installing and configuring Mac OSX on your Dell Mini.

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Install Guide: Load OS X DIRECTLY onto RunCore FROM a Mac.
Published by lantzn
04-15-2009
Default Install Guide: Load OS X DIRECTLY onto RunCore FROM a Mac.

Mac to RunCore or 2.5" Drive Method

For those who already have a Mac and a retail Mac 10.5 install DVD, this method is a great way to install OS X directly onto a RunCore SSD from your Mac using the USB connector and cable that comes with the RunCore. Then you just install the drive into your Dell mini and you're off and running!
It's that simple.

Update 10/09: This method works flawlessly with the Dell mini 9/Vostro A90, DellEFI 1.2a5 and the Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update. It looks like Dell has brought back the mini 9 for an encore on their website at an even cheaper price! If you have Snow Leopard 10.6, a new piece of software has been designed for installing that. The software is called NetBookMaker/NetBookInstaller (NBM/NBI). The software is still being worked on so you may have some issues. Unless you like to troubleshoot I'd stick to Mac 10.5.7 and DellEFI 1.2a5.

Update 6/09: This method works flawlessly with the Dell mini 9. As of June 2009, the mini 9 has been discontinued and "replaced" with the Dell mini 10v.
The 10v comes with either a 2.5" SATA hard drive or 2.5" SSD. Using a USB cable/adapter you can use this method to load OS X onto these drives from the USB port on your Mac.
The only drawback, at this time, is that the DellEFI software has been written for the mini 9 and even though some have loaded it on the 10v, there are current issues from making it ideal.
In time, more than likely, the bugs will be worked out. In the meantime, there's plenty of mini 9 stock out there.

Caution: USB Broke on RunCore - I've received a couple of 32GB SSD from RunCore. The first one, the connector was so tight that when I tried to push the cable into the USB connector on the SSD, the connector broke off. Apparently I'm not alone and there is a thread in this forum on this subject. When my second one arrived, it was the same, only I decided to do a little modification to prevent it from happening again.
The Fix: There are 2 small pins on the side (the wider side) of the cable end that goes into the SSD's connector. These silver pins are tall enough to cause this tight fit. I took a small file and with a few good strokes was able to flatten the pins down quite a bit. Now the cable slides into the connector easily, and still has enough to grab the little holes in the connector to hold it in place. This is very easy fix and will certainly save you a headache.

TERMINOLOGY:

DM9 = Dell Mini 9 or Vostro A90 (the Vostro is the business edition of the mini 9)
Mac = Intel only Mac
SSD = RunCore Brand Solid State Drive
OS X = Retail Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD (10.5) Pronounced OS Ten, as in Roman Numeral X

INSTALLATION VIDEOS:

Make sure you set your YouTube preferences to play higher resolution videos.

These videos were created to go along with the Installation Guide below.
They have been edited to remove the "waiting" portions of the installation.
An average install will take about 90 minutes. Enjoy!
Part 1
Part 2

INSTALLATION GUIDE:

**These instructions are a consolidation of those started by NoahFuLing in the thread, answers to the many questions asked and my own knowledge of Mac support.
Thank you to everyone who got involved.

Cautions: Once plugged in, keep the SSD from touching anything metal to prevent electrical damage.
Do not use dual monitors during the installation, disconnect the second monitor.

I used a MacBook C2D 2.0GHz (Late 2006, running 10.5.6), Retail 10.5.1 Install DVD, DellEFI1.1 and a RunCore 32GB during this installation.
UPDATE: I've used this method with the same equipment, install DVD, updated to 10.5.7, used DellEFI 1.2a5 and it worked beautifully!

1) Connect SSD to the Mac using the SSD's USB cable that came with it.

2) BACKUP ALL DATA OFF OF THE RUNCORE! No data will be recoverable after formatting!
To do this, click and hold the mouse on the SSD's icon on the Mac Desktop, hold down the Option key and drag the icon onto the Desktop where nothing is, a plus symbol appears while dragging, let go and it will create a folder with a copy of what is on the SSD.

3) Insert the OS X DVD and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
Hit the Restart button and the Mac should reboot itself into the OS X Installation DVD window.
Click your Language, Continue and Agree buttons to get to the Install OS X window.

4) Open Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu at the top of the screen.
Select the SSD in the left side column of drives, click the "Partition" tab.
Select Volume Scheme; 1 Partition from the drop down list.
Click the Option Button below the partition window, choose the first button GUID Partition Table and click OK
Choose a name for the SSD, make sure you name it something different from the Mac's hard drive so there's no confusion.
Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" from the Volume Format drop-down list.
UNcheck the Install Mac OS 9 Disk Driver box (may or may not show up depending on hardware).
Click Apply and Partition Buttons to erase and format the SSD.

5) The newly formated SSD should now appear in the left column with the new name you gave it.
Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility Menu at the top of the screen to return to the OS X Install window.

6) Choose (click on) the "SSD icon" as the drive to install, it should have a green arrow on it when selected.
At the Install Summary Window choose the "Customize" Button and UNcheck all the unnecessary options which usually just take up space on the hard drive.
You can click on the titles of each to see a summary of what is installed with each option.
I usually UNcheck everything in this window. Click the "Done" button.
Click the "Install" button to start the installation.
Click the "Skip" button to bypass scanning the DVD to continue with the installation.

7) When the install is finished, "Restart" into the SSD.
Normally it will automatically do this, but to make sure, upon rebooting the Mac, hold down the Option key.
A window will appear showing all available drives to bootup in.
A green check will appear over the drive it will use to boot up in, make sure it's the SSD and hit enter. Go through the introduction windows.
To "Skip" (Quit) the Registration Window, you can hold the "Command" (Apple) key and hit the "Q" key and it will offer a "Skip" button to bypass that.
Everything else is your personal information.

8) When at the Desktop, go to the Apple Menu in the upper left, run the Software Update utility and reboot.
Continue to run the Software Update Utility and reboot until no more updates show in the utility window.
10.5.7 Combo Update: You have the option to download the 10.5.7 Combo Update as a package instead of using the Software Update panel.
It's a very large update and might be a good idea. This will also help bypass upgrading to 10.5.8 which is known to have issues.
Here's the link should you choose to do so.
Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update
IMPORTANT: REMEMBER to hold down the Option key when rebooting to make sure you're in the SSD each time.
NOTE: During this step would be a good time to install any other software, such as iLife and iWork (Mac Box Set), etc. and have them updated.

9) Open the Safari web browser from the Dock below and go to one of these links to get the DellEFI file you wish to use.
Download JUST the DellEFI file to the Desktop of the OS X install on the SSD.
DellEFI 1.1 Final Release - http://mydellmini.googlecode.com/files/DellEFI1.1.zip
OR
DellEFI 1.2a5 Alpha 5 Release - Downloads | DellEFI | mechdrew

10) Close all applications. Open the DellEFI application.
Ignore the "not a Dell" hardware message box and click to continue.
Select Custom, make sure the hardware-specific DSDT file option is UNchecked.
Keep everything else as default.
With DellEFI 1.1 click Save and then reboot once back to the desktop.
With DellEFI 1.2a5 click Save and then Yes to Reboot.

11) After booting back to the Desktop, shut down the Mac. DO NOT install the SSD in the DM9 at this time.

12) Bootup the DM9 into BIOS.
Hold down the 0 (ZERO) button during boot up to enter into the DM9's BIOS settings.
Use the down arrow to select Enter Setup. Use the arrow to go to the Advanced tab.

13) Make sure Wi-Fi (WLAN) and BlueTooth support are Enabled in the BIOS.

14) DISABLE the Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

15) Save Changes, and AFTER it boots ups, go the the Start Menu and Shut Down the DM9.

16) Install the SSD into the DM9.
Using the screwdriver that came with the SSD, remove the 2 screw on the DM9 back cover and remove the cover.
Remove the 2 screws on the stock SSD and it will spring up to remove.
Insert the new SSD and reverse the above steps.

17) Turn on the DM9.

18) Run the DellEFI application again.
Select Custom and make sure the hardware-specific DSDT file option is CHECKED.
Keep everything else as default and click Save (DellEFI 1.1) or Yes (DellEFI 1.2a5) to reboot.

19) On Reboot. You're done!

FAQs

Q: Can I use any retail version of Mac OS X 10.5?

A: Most likely. Regardless of what version you have, it will get updated to the most current version during the "Software Update" utility step.
See the next question. The retail DVD should look like this with 10.5 or higher; Retail DVD Image

Q: Can I use any retail version of Mac OS X 10.5 with any Intel Mac?

A: No, some of the newest Intel Macs that came with a later version of OS X 10.5 are having trouble with earlier versions of the retail OS X Install DVD.
Some however have found that they were able to use the "Restore" DVD that came with their Mac to do the install onto the Runcore.
If that doesn't work for you, try locating an earlier Intel Mac or a newer version of OS X that works with your Mac.

Q: Can I use a non-Intel Mac (PPC) or an earlier version of Mac OS X, 10.0 - 10.4?

A: No
If you need help identifying your Mac, look in About This Mac in the Apple Menu and go here -
Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996

Q: Can I do this with any SSD (Solid State Drive)?

A: No, this method requires a Runcore SSD which has the USB port built onto it.
This USB port is what makes this method possible.
Should other brands in the future add this feature, then we may have more options at that time.

Q: Will this work with any Dell Mini?

A: The Dell Mini 9 happens to have just the right hardware to run Mac OS X 10.5.
For this reason it is not recommend using another netbook.
Also the DellEFI software has been designed to work the DM9.
Here's a chart that shows compatibility with netbooks and OS X; OS X / Netbook Compatibility Chart

Q: Can I use a PC to do this?

A: If you only have a PC, you'll need to follow one of these methods.
How-To: Install Mac OS X - DellEFI Method - MyDellMini

Q: Which version of DellEFI should I use, 1.1 or 1.2a5?

A: DellEFI 1.1 is a final public release, while 1.2a5 is in alpha.
Even though it says use at your own risk, those who have installed 1.2a5 have had great success.
I actually prefer it and it seems to have fixed a number of small glitches I had with the 1.1 install.

Successful Installs

Maxime- Mac Mini C2D 2.0GHz (Late 2007), 10.5.0 Retail Install DVD, DellEFI1.1, and RunCore 32GB
garbagepyle- Macbook Pro (Early 2008)
skid- Mac Mini, RunCore 32GB
tetany- MacBook Pro, DellEFI 1.2a5 and 64GB Runcore
wadek- MacBook (Late 2006), 10.5.1 Retail Install DVD, RunCore 32GB (Note: 10.5.1 DVD wasn't sufficient to boot newer iMac)
cbdudley- older Intel-based iMac, 10.5.4 Retail Install DVD (Note: Tried using a unibody MacBook (Late 2008 model), did not work. Believes due to it coming with 10.5.5 from factory and conflicted with earlier version Install DVD)
dr_devious - Was able to successfully use the OEM 10.5 Restore DVD (grey color) that came with his Aluminum 2.0GHz MacBook
MBAMini - 2008 MacBook, OEM Restore DVD worked (Note: Had problem using a Retail 10.5.0 Install DVD, the disk kept restarting and getting no where
louididdy - 2008 Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83MHZ, Grey "For Mac Computers Mac OS X Install Disc" (10.5.2) that came with the Mac Mini, 64GB RunCore SSD, DellEfi 1.1
PShizzy - Mac Pro Tower (2.8 Dual Core, 2008 model), Retail 10.5.4 disc
edmo - Black MacBook 2.4 Ghz (Early 2008), OS X 10.5.6
dell skin apple soul - Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz, OEM 10.5.5 Restore DVD, RunCore 64GB SSD
TunaMaxx - iMac Core 2 Duo (Late 2006), OS X 10.5.6 retail "Box Set" set (iLife 2009, iWork 2009)
MINIRUN47 - iMac Intel C2D (Early 2007), Retail OSX 10.5.6, RunCore 32GB, installed meklort's touchpad drivers via Northmendo's installer
wallyhc - MacBook Pro Intel C2D, 3GB, 2.33GHz Leopard 10.5, Dell Mini 9 (white), RunCore 64GB, updated to 10.5.7, DELLEFI 1.1 Flawless Install
Yukiodinermobile - Mac mini 2.0GHz C2D (T7200), 10.5.6 Retail Install DVD, DellEFI 1.1, RunCore 32 GB
sq3rjick - Vostro A90, 32GB RunCore. Updated to 10.5.7
mrbelvedr - 2008 Mac Pro, Retail OSX 10.5.6
takoma - 2006 iMac, Leopard family pack, Vostro A90, Runcore 64GB, Crucial 2GB Ram
minibaby - Vostro A90, 2GB Crucial RAM, Runcore 64GB, Retail OSX 10.5.6
tbuckley - 10.5.7 updated, Runcore 32GB
DELLsFan - 2.0Ghz Aluminum iMac, 32GB RunCore SSD,DELLEFI 1.2a5, Vostro A90.
Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: How To: Load OS X DIRECTLY onto Runcore FROM a Mac.

This guide has been moved to the How-To section, the original thread has been split off and left behind. Please do not post replies HERE. Post them in the discussion thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 PM

MiniBook: Black MacBook 2Ghz (early 2008), OSX 10.5.7
Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 PM

I think I screwed up pretty good.

The hibernate error message showed up again for some reason so I tried running DellEFI again to remove it. I most have clicked the wrong option because now it won't get passed the white loading screen.

How do I fix that? I obviously cant run DellEFI again since I can't load into OSX.

Suggestions?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Hi!

Thanks for this great idea. I never thought that this would work...

It really worked great for my Dell Vostro A90.

But...

How can I use this method for a dual boot system with Windows 7 and OSX? I don't understand the post somewhere else in this forum where this is described. It didn't work for me - so I screwed up the whole setup...

Or can I just use Dual Boot with the 123Boot install?

TIA

Greetings
plant
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can install on any hard or solid state disk using this method as long as you can plug it into the USB port. Right?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM

I successfully got this installed on my Runcore 16GB by using a 24" imac as the host i also used the 10.5.6 retail disk as my install media i didnt have a single problem during the install. Just wanted to add my thoughts Good Job everyone. This is really cool.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Great writeup and seems to take ALOT of the confusion out of it for me.

My only question is....

I just ordered a 32gb runcore speficially for running OSX. ($119 bucks for a new mac computer? SURE!) I currently have a 64gb runcore running my xp and all my music/video and tuning software. I would rather undo some screws everytime I want to switch os's then go through the trouble of trying to dual boot off the same ssd and mess something up. Anyway, onto my question. If I go in and disable the legacy USB like in step 14, is that going to mess anything up when i go to put in the ssd that has my windows installed on it? Ill eventually pick up a vostro a90 to run either one, but for now, if i have to go in and change that setting when i switch ssd's, i dont see that as a problem. would just rather not have to.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM

I got my brand new DM9 upgraded with 2GB ram and 64GB runcore. Upgraded from 10.5 to 10.5.7 as per your instructions. Thank you for the writeup!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 PM

This worked perfect for me, but did someone try to modify this method to install OS X and XP on one disk?
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools