Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default ! Duplicate Name on Network - 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM

When i start my computer up i get an error that says this in the taskbar. It is most like due to to my desktop being on the same network, how do i fix the names so one is different. I have tried fixing the windows user name and that did not work.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: ! Duplicate Name on Network - 10-28-2008, 11:46 PM

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wind ... e_name.htm
Quote:
Answer: The "Duplicate name exists" error indicates the (NetBIOS) name of the Windows computer conflicts with some other name on the network. Most commonly, this happens when another Windows computer on the local network uses the same name. This error can also occur when one of the connected Windows workgroups has the same name as the computer.

"Duplicate name exists" errors prevent a Windows computer from joining the network. The computer will start up and function in an offline mode only. To resolve this error, simply change the name of the computer to one that is not used by other local computers (or Windows workgroups), then reboot.

Note that a network administrator should also verify the Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) is up to date. In rare instances, "Duplicate name exists" is a false error reported when old information is stored in the WINS database.

If that doesn't help(it should) then:http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...ame+on+network
  (#3) Old

Default Re: ! Duplicate Name on Network - 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM

thanks, i was changing my xp user name instead of the computer's name