Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM

I want to re-install XP Home OEM to clean up all the junk the system comes with. Can I use the serial that is already provided with the mini9?

Mini9: 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, 16GB SDHC, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, WinXP Home
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM

I seriously doubt it. All the versions of XP home (amd all MS products) are keyed differently. The key that comes with the Mini 9 is an OEM key. It probably will not work with a retail install disc.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Unless there's something weird about the Mini 9 specifically, you should be able to. I've done it on countless other Dell laptops and desktops. Typically their OS install CDs just detect a Dell BIOS and do not ask for a key or activation. Normally I haven't had to use the number that's on the case unless I'm using a generic OEM install CD.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM

As soon as my mini9 arrives i'll take one for the team, unless someone wants to be the first besides myself...

(#5) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question.

When your MINI9 arrives just reinstall using the operating system disk supplied.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-16-2008, 02:58 AM

Yes, if you use the XP Home CD that comes with your Dell Mini, you can reinstall it if you supply your own external USB CD/DVD ROM drive. You can then use the key from the COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Since Dell OEM key doesn't require XP activation, you can install it as many times as you like. I would recommend you download all the newer and updated drivers from Dell's support web page instead of using the supplied driver CD, as those drivers are already outdated. There is also a new Bios since A00.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-16-2008, 05:18 AM

You don't need the key when using the operating system install disk supplied with the MINI9
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-16-2008, 05:33 AM

Well is the operating system disk just the operating system or does it include all the extra software that comes pre-installed with the system when it arrives? that is the reason why i want to opt on a fresh installation from my own XP Home source. Otherwise i will just re-install from the provided disk.

my question is it possible to use an OEM disc with the provided serial from Dell?

(#9) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-16-2008, 06:07 AM

It's just the operating system, it does not contain any of the bloatware found on an out of the box installation.

After you install you'll need to use your driver software disk to set all of your hardware up.

Another option is to do make an nLite install using your operating system disk.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Install XP Home OEM with Dell Serial from Mini9? - 10-16-2008, 06:17 AM

Thank you that answers my question. i was actually getting an Nlited copy ready with my current OEM disc, is there any difference between Dells and my OEM Home?