Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#21) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM

I think there's a bit of a problem using both OsxRestart and VoodooMiniPower. Either one refuses to work when the other one is installed. At least in my installation. I tried the NBI directory as well as kexthelper. I switched back to OpenHaltRestart because the Speedstepping is something that i don't wanna miss.

Is there anyone successfully running both?

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 Final | Speedstepping via VoodooPowerMini.kext
  (#22) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestalt View Post
I think there's a bit of a problem using both OsxRestart and VoodooMiniPower. Either one refuses to work when the other one is installed. At least in my installation. I tried the NBI directory as well as kexthelper. I switched back to OpenHaltRestart because the Speedstepping is something that i don't wanna miss.

Is there anyone successfully running both?
I have them both working on my Mini 9. What version of VoodooPowerMini are you using?

It has been recently updated http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=198417

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 RC4 | 32GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | 0.3 MP Webcam | WWAN | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF
  (#23) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 11:22 AM

I'm using this one. Nope. Still not working. Do you have them in the NBI Directory using updateExtra?

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 Final | Speedstepping via VoodooPowerMini.kext
  (#24) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Can confirm this worked for me too. Excellent work!

Mini 10v | 2Gb RAM | 160 Gb HDD | OSX 10.6.6 | Latest NBI | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : OFF | No BT
  (#25) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Anyone running both kexts with 10.6.1 and Netbook Installer .8.3 RC3 ???

update: I even ran Netbook Installer .8.3 RC4 and it still didn't work out. I'm still on 10.6.1 though. I think the VoodooPowerMini.kext didn't work at all when being placed in the NBI directory. All it did was constantly split the CPU Speed in half (something around 800 MHz). It's really strange...
I have to use the kexthelper to see the speedstepping in CPU-X.

(#26) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 09:52 AM

@gestalt - I'm also running VoodooPowerMini.kext and I just tried installing OSXRestart.kext with Kext Helper. After I rebooted and then I tried to restart after sleep I had same result as before - stuck at a black screen with power light on.

I'm on 10.6.0 and NBI 0.8.3 RC2.
  (#27) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_nz View Post
@gestalt - I'm also running VoodooPowerMini.kext and I just tried installing OSXRestart.kext with Kext Helper. After I rebooted and then I tried to restart after sleep I had same result as before - stuck at a black screen with power light on.

I'm on 10.6.0 and NBI 0.8.3 RC2.
Yep. Exactly my experience. Maybe this works out with 10.6.2 but I'm not keen on updating. The replaced Kernel kinda scares me. And to be honest: Restart after sleep ain't something that I depend on. I can still hit the soft reset when hanging on the black screen.

I wonder where I can report this issue...

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Ooops! It's a known issue already:
OSXRestart.kext - InsanelyMac Forum
Quote:
(...)There are a number of reports where OSXRestart.kext didn't work. A few people had to remove VoodooPowerMini.kext first, while others had to fix their installation. If you can restart once with OSXRestart.kext then you know (or should know) that the restart method I use is supported on your motherboard.(...)

(#28) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Ahh.. thanks. Good to know it is a known issue at least.

I noticed my sound is not working after sleep now. Gonna restore to backup I think!

Dell Mini 10v | 1GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | Bluetooth | BIOS A06 | OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | VoodooPowerMini | Hibernatemode 3 | Legacy USB Off
  (#29) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestalt View Post
Anyone running both kexts with 10.6.1 and Netbook Installer .8.3 RC3 ???
Yes, I am running both kexts on 10.6.1 and 8.3rc3. I did not use kext helper or CPU-I. I just put them in the extras folder and ran UpdateExtra. = No Issues and both working flawlessly.

The only thing that can mess up the installation is not waiting long enough for UpdateExtra to finish doing what it needs to do. I recommend installing iStat Menu and monitor disk activity and CPU while it is updating extensions. Keep your cursor on the window so you can see the beachball spinning. You will know when it is done when the beachball stops spinning and the CPU usage becomes static.

Dell Mini 10v • Mac OSX 10.6.2 • 1 GB RAM • 160GB HDD • BIOS A05 • Blue Tooth • 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#30) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
Yes, I am running both kexts on 10.6.1 and 8.3rc3. I did not use kext helper or CPU-I. I just put them in the extras folder and ran UpdateExtra. = No Issues and both working flawlessly.
As I'm saying: It's a known issue. I tried the updateextra-method many times.

Are you absolutely sure that your CPU is still stepping? I mean, does iStat show the CPU Speed or just the usage?
I will try again this weekend but I'm nor very optimistic...